Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:18:29 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PHANTASM SUCKS. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: PHANTASM SUCKS.  (Read 39952 times)
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 11:41:48 PM »

KYGOTC, you didn't find it even the least bit funny?  Even back when I saw it as a kid, the clay-mation fly scene was a hoot.  I'm sorry you didn't like it, but hey, to each his own.

Actualy, I DO remember laughing at 2 parts-

*When the kid runs screaming across the cemetary while his brother and some gurly are tryin ta do stuff.

*When The kid its trying to convice his brother that weird sh!t is going on so he shows him a twitching severed finger in a box and the brother says so suttley, "Ok, I beleive you."

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 06:56:45 AM »

I must be the only person here to never have seen any of the Phantasm movies.

What are they like and which one is the best?
Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »

Eh, the writing was lame, Nothing was ever fully explained, (who the tall man was, why he was doing what he was, ect.) It was choppy...

You makes these sound like BAD things.

This movie came out when I was in middle school and we were all astounded by it.  It was completely surreal, and on that basis alone it didn't NEED to make sense.  I think the best summation of this movie ever was when someone -- Stephen King? -- compared it to "an ABC Afterschool Special gone wacka-wacka."  And being a kid watching it, I had no trouble with the fact that nothignwas explained.  That's the story of all our lives as kids.  No meaning, no control, bizarre terrible crap happens because of scary adults and their hooded midgets...OK maybe that was just my childhood.

But I don't see it appealing as much to someone who sees it for the first time as an adut.

It takes a child to raze a village. -- Jello Biafra
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 02:29:07 PM »

But I don't see it appealing as much to someone who sees it for the first time as an adut.

Or someone who's around 18, perhaps.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 03:09:27 PM »

Since when is 18 not an adult, at least on paper?

Menard
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 05:19:25 PM »

Since when is 18 not an adult, at least on paper?

KYGOTC is referring to himself as being 'around' 18, but he's not on paper yet. TongueOut
Torgo

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 06:22:39 PM »

The title of this thread should've been "1st Phantasm classic, 2nd good, 3rd and 4th films suck".

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Menard
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 06:41:15 PM »

The title of this thread should've been "1st Phantasm classic, 2nd good, 3rd and 4th films suck".

Obviously you have not been reading this thread as the initial complaint was about those who keep calling this movie a classic, misleading someone into watching it for the first time and being in for major league disappointment, as they were expecting something great and obviously did not find it in this overrated b-movie.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 07:11:16 PM »

I saw PHANTASM the first time back in the 80's shortly after it came out and thought it was incredibly spooky!  Watched it again about five years ago and laughed at how cheesy the special effects were.  That being said, the Tall Man STILL creeps me out!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
akiratubo

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 07:40:03 PM »

True.  If I had seen it when I was little, I'd probably have thought it was the scariest movie ever.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 07:50:31 PM »

Tagline: "If this one doesn't scare you, you're already dead."

We saw this on the big screen during its release.  With no overture or fanfare, about halfway throught PHANTASM,  my friend Termite looked over at me and said "I must already be dead."

All I remember is the sphere with the drill bit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 01:13:05 AM »

I still stand by the first sequel being the best in the series. More action, more humor, more gore and more violence. Here's a tip for anyone who hasn't seen a movie everyone else calls a classic: always rent before you buy. The only time I drop change on a movie I haven't already seen is when buying the DVD costs less than renting it brand new. With any luck you won't have a hard time re-selling it though KY, given the number of fans who love the movie but might not want to pay full price for a new copy.  Thumbup

Personally I'm not really sure how Phantasm came to be the sacred cow it is today, but there are far worse movies out there that are even less deserving of their own acclaim.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:31:13 AM by tombofanubisdotcom » Logged

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »

Guys, I feels for you. Though I am a huge phan, I must say that it truly p**ses me off to see a film that I see idiotic get such acclaim. I know from my little experience with Rear Window what it feels like to be in a "fandom minority" and although our opinions on Phantasm are vastly different, I can see where you are coming from.

Have you watched the deleted scenes yet KYGOTC? There used to be even more plodding!

I like P3 almost as much as P1. I mostly don't like the second because it had "80s Mike" in it, and didn't like the 4th because it seemed like a whole movie full of exposition that could have fit into as bigger movie (The studio screwed Coscarelli over the budget)

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 11:27:29 AM »

Guys, I feels for you. Though I am a huge phan, I must say that it truly p**ses me off to see a film that I see idiotic get such acclaim. I know from my little experience with Rear Window what it feels like to be in a "fandom minority" and although our opinions on Phantasm are vastly different, I can see where you are coming from.

Have you watched the deleted scenes yet KYGOTC? There used to be even more plodding!

I like P3 almost as much as P1. I mostly don't like the second because it had "80s Mike" in it, and didn't like the 4th because it seemed like a whole movie full of exposition that could have fit into as bigger movie (The studio screwed Coscarelli over the budget)

I hear you Mr. Briggs.  I love the second film, but I loathe LeGros in the Mike role.  Not only does he not look the part, he also doesn't act like Mike either.  Other than that though, the sequel is an excellent film and quite possibly the best of the bunch.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 03:05:54 PM »

Obviously you have not been reading this thread as the initial complaint was about those who keep calling this movie a classic, misleading someone into watching it for the first time and being in for major league disappointment, as they were expecting something great and obviously did not find it in this overrated b-movie.

Surely Torgo has the right to disagree.  I certainly do myself.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PHANTASM SUCKS. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.