Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:19:20 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PHANTASM SUCKS. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: PHANTASM SUCKS.  (Read 39949 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 07:47:19 AM »

coff,coff,arehmmm nohedonthesucks cofff...COUGH!...'scuse me...sorry...(   TongueOut  )

Jason rules!  He's a huge guy in a hockey mask who kills people.  I guess some people wouldn't understand why that's awesome.  Heck, I'm not sure I understand it, myself, but I still love the character.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 10:18:33 AM »

coff,coff,arehmmm nohedonthesucks cofff...COUGH!...'scuse me...sorry...(   TongueOut  )

Jason rules!  He's a huge guy in a hockey mask who kills people.  I guess some people wouldn't understand why that's awesome.  Heck, I'm not sure I understand it, myself, but I still love the character.

Ah, but he's not just a huge guy in a hockey mask who kills people, because after F13 Part 6, he's a huge SUPER ZOMBIE guy in a hockey mask who kills people!... except for Jason X, in which he's a huge SUPER ZOMBIE CYBORG guy in a sorta-hockey mask thing who kills people!... and Jason Goes to Hell, in which he's a body jumping, uhm, evil heart thing that, errr, possesses people who choose not to wear hockey masks but, uhm, still kill people... yeah, that just got needlessly complicated. And I thought Michael Myers being an invicible magic killer for a cult of druids was bad...

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »

Ah, but he's not just a huge guy in a hockey mask who kills people, because after F13 Part 6, he's a huge SUPER ZOMBIE guy in a hockey mask who kills people!...

We all thought 4: Final Chapter was going to be the end.  He was cremated.  Dead.  End.  Fin.  But no!  In 6: Jason Lives, he's dug up from the ground, struck by lightning, and spry as a spring chicken once more.  SUPER indeed!  TeddyR

I love the Friday the 13th films because by 3D they realized they were a joke and went with it anyway.  Yet somehow, the self-mocking humor is still more subtle than Troma, say.  An excellent balance.  Worthy of fragmentary sentences.  And praise.  Haha.

++josh;
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 07:06:59 PM »

Actually,I was just goofing with Menard.  TongueOut I think the charecter of Jason is really cool. And,as I stated before,I really enjoyed the first 3...and my favorite is when his heart bounces atround Jasonifying (?) people in GOES to HELL , the best in the series! I just wish that the other entries of the series were as interesting as those four were. I was really looking forward to JASON TAKES MANHATTAN...I was expecting him to go psycho in dowtown NYC...against NY's Finest,or some punk rockers or street gangs...maybe bust into Grand Central...I dunno! But he just wanders around on a boat killing teenagers! ARRRGH!

What I'm trying to say is...Jason,as a charecter is cool...it just the majority of the FRIDAY the 13th series that could have been much better...just as the original DRACULA (1932) is pretty dam lame,yet Lugosi as Dracula was great. Browning just let the movie peter out into a dull stage play once Dracula arrived in England. And Lugosi is my favorite actor of all time....yet,as a WHOLE...the 1932 DRACULA "sucks".

OHHHHhhhhh....see what you guys did! You made me think! And now my head hurts....uhhhhh.... Bluesad
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:11:33 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 07:11:06 PM »

....yet,as a WHOLE...the 1932 DRACULA "sucks".

AGREED!!!

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 07:17:38 PM »

....yet,as a WHOLE...the 1932 DRACULA "sucks".

AGREED!!!

Yeah...Christopher Lee and Bela Lugosi both had very differnt takes on the charecter...Lugosi's was a more urban ,mysterious type of vampire,and Lee was a blood thirsty savage. Love them both! What really bugs people out,though,is when I tell someone that my favorite in the Hammer Dracula series is SCARS of DRACULA!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 08:46:46 PM »

Yeah...Christopher Lee and Bela Lugosi both had very differnt takes on the charecter...Lugosi's was a more urban ,mysterious type of vampire,and Lee was a blood thirsty savage. Love them both! What really bugs people out,though,is when I tell someone that my favorite in the Hammer Dracula series is SCARS of DRACULA!

I love many of the Hammer films, and there's alot of problems with Tod Browning's DRACULA, for sure (that's snatches of Swan Lake you hear in this scoreless movie) but Bela Lugosi will always be the Count (cue Bauhaus). 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 09:12:06 PM »

I love many of the Hammer films, and there's alot of problems with Tod Browning's DRACULA, for sure (that's snatches of Swan Lake you hear in this scoreless movie) but Bela Lugosi will always be the Count (cue Bauhaus). 

What is REALLY amazing though, is that Bela played the charecter of Count Dracula only twice on film! TWICE! In DRACULA (of course) and ABBOTT and COSTELLO meet FRANKENSTEIN.! Yet, when people think Dracula...it is always Bela's unique voice, spidery fingers,and staring eyes that come to mind. Lugosi IS Dracula!!!!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 10:12:41 PM »

What is REALLY amazing though, is that Bela played the charecter of Count Dracula only twice on film! TWICE! In DRACULA (of course) and ABBOTT and COSTELLO meet FRANKENSTEIN.! Yet, when people think Dracula...it is always Bela's unique voice, spidery fingers,and staring eyes that come to mind. Lugosi IS Dracula!!!!

Twue, twoo, but no need to state the incredibly obvious, the merely obvious will do  Wink
It's worth pointing out they weren't the only times on screen Bela played a vampire that was urbane and Drac-like in both MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (yes I know) and RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE ... should we count any Ed Wood footage?  TeddyR
You should start a thread and poll of all the different Drax.  Frankie don't know it, but there's only one to choose:

Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2007, 08:30:17 AM »

He was even buried in his cape.  Hell, maybe he was wearing it when he died in the course of filming Plan 9.

It takes a child to raze a village. -- Jello Biafra
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2007, 05:23:24 PM »

He was even buried in his cape.  Hell, maybe he was wearing it when he died in the course of filming Plan 9.

Actually,he was found dead in his apartment by his fifth wife, Hope Lininger Lugosi, on August 16,1956.
Shortly before Lugosi died Ed Wood had filmed a small amount of footage of Bela walking around in a graveyard in his Dracula cape,and  leaving freind Tor Johnsons house. This was incorporated into PLAN NINE from OUTER SPACE,first previewed at the Carlton theater in Hollwood as GRAVEROBBERS from OUTER SPACE in 1957.  It got a general release under DCA films in 1959 as PLAN 9 . Lugosi never even read a script for the film,as it  didn't exist at the time of his death. He WAS reading a script for an  upcoming project called The VAMPIRES TOMB,which was  nothing like PLAN 9,and the test scenes for that is what you see in PLAN 9.

(source:LUGOSI-by Gary Don Rhodes)

How did we go from PHANTASM,to FRIDAY the 13th,to Bela Lugosi? What a tangled web of Horror we weave here!  Smile
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:26:03 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
royalnash
New Visitor

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2013, 02:11:52 AM »

The name of the movie and anchor bay dvd cover art made the movie seem interesting but when I watched it was disappointed. 

definitely not a horror film classic.  if anyone thinks this movie is a classic clearly does not know what it takes to make a good horror movie.  some of my favorite horror films are

friday the 13th parts 1 - 8
pumpkinhead 2 blood wings
childs play 3
suspiria
amityville horror
return of the living dead
candyman
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »

Way to bump an aged thread!

For the record, I haven't seen Phantasm in years 'n' years but even when I did back in the day, I remember wondering what all the whoop de doo was about. I've often thought about re-visiting it all these years later but haven't gotten round to it yet.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 09:08:37 AM »

The name of the movie and anchor bay dvd cover art made the movie seem interesting but when I watched it was disappointed. 

definitely not a horror film classic.  if anyone thinks this movie is a classic clearly does not know what it takes to make a good horror movie.  some of my favorite horror films are

childs play 3
suspiria
amityville horror
candyman

I clearly do not know what makes a good horror movie. I never would have guessed PUMPKINHEAD 2 was a better horror movie than the original PHANTASM. Heck, I didn't even know there was an objective standard you could use to rank horror movies! It's nice to learn new things.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 11:25:06 AM »

childs play 3
suspiria
amityville horror
candyman

Pumpkinhead 2?  Not the first one but the much less subtle less creepy sequel?  Child's Play 3?  ANY of the Friday the 13th movies? 

I'm not going to say I didn't enjoy them, but they weren't exactly great movies, and certainly not any better than Phantasm. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PHANTASM SUCKS. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.