Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:54:48 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  UNDERRATED? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: UNDERRATED?  (Read 49989 times)
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 11:44:48 PM »

I enjoy it when creative talents try something different, but I'm talking The Item different, not over-hyped media machine (that's since only been out-overdone by Snakes on a Plane) "three bad improv actors try to pretend they're scared while the extent of their adlibbing consists of dropping 20 or so f-bombs every 12 seconds" kind of crap that the first Blair Witch gave me. I gave it a chance. I saw it in a theater. I went into it open minded and I went alone to avoid the urge to MST3K the crap out of it. I left the theater $8 lighter and with chills running across my skin... thanks to the cranked AC in the theater. The "lets pretend this is real footage" gimmick was used 30 years earlier in Cannibal Holocaust and the improv should be left to professionals like Sasha Baron Cohen and the folks in "Whose Line is it Anyway?". But, and here's the all important disclaimer, that's just my opinion.  TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
telegonus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 01:23:19 AM »

Hi Telegonus,
Not sure I agree that THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE is underrated; it's certainly well known, and I think it works well (Ethel Barrymore is always a treat). 

Hi Allallowsday,

Oh, I know that The Spiral Staircase has a good reputation and is generally held in high regard but I think it's even better than just being a really good thriller. To my way of thinking it's a classic. My sense is that the casting of George Brent, somewhat past his prime (such as he had one) hurts the film with the critics and historian. Had his part been played by Joseph Cotten the movie would probably have a better reputation (much as Brent in the Cotten role in Gaslight might have brought that film's reputation down a bit).  I say this with no disrespect to Mr. Brent himself, who was very good in the movie, but his journeyman reputation, his status as Bette Davis's favorite leading man, rather than as a star in his own right,  dragged the picture down somewhat in the prestige department.  I think that The Spiral Staircase is as good and probably better than most of Hitchcock's films from the same period, and I vastly prefer it to Spellbound, Notorious and The Paradine Case. Overall, I don't think that Siodmak was in Hitchcock's league as a director, but when he was good, he was really good.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 09:21:38 AM by telegonus » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »

I thought Blair Witch was fairly descent.  It kept a certain level of suspense going, though I would never want to see it a second time because some of the characters were soooooooo annoying, like that idiot that threw the map away.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 08:22:42 AM »

The SADIST-The little movie with Arch Hall jr. and his girl freind who terrorize 3 school teachers in an auto junkyard. A great,suspenseful film that was waaaay ahead of it's time.
.KILL,BABY,KILL- Mario Bava's ghost story,with the spirit of a little girl that announces death for all that see her. A truly scary movie...and the photography is beautiful! The music score,with the little girl giggling,is really spooky too! My favorite Bava film. I think the title turns people off,thinking it's some kinda psycho killer kinda movie! HIGHLY recommended!!!
.BURN,WITCH,BURN- Mostly forgotton today,but a great movie about a teachers wife,and her (maybe) occult powers,that drive her husband apes**t. Been along time since Iv'e seen it...but not so long that it hasn't stuck with me after 30 odd years.
.I MARRIED a MONSTER from OUTER SPACE-Another  expliotive title for a good little sci-fi movie!  Not some goofy schlock like TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN. (Which is great in it's own trashy way!)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 09:09:49 AM »

Hmmm.... I recall these getting slammed as stupid, but I enjoy them ...

Wild Wild West
Judge Dread
Armegeddon
Dungeons & Dragons
Cool World
Sheena
Joe Dirt

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »

The SADIST-The little movie with Arch Hall jr. and his girl freind who terrorize 3 school teachers...
I MARRIED a MONSTER from OUTER SPACE-Another  expliotive title for a good little sci-fi movie! 
Recently sat thru THE SADIST on TCM, man that was hard to take, but well done and owes everything to Arch Hall Jr. 
I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE is interesting for the fact that dialogue exchanged between Tom Tryon and Gloria Talbott makes it clear to the viewing audience that Mr. Farrell (as the alien doppelganger) did not have carnal knowledge of Mrs. Farrell . . . 
Hmmm.... I recall these getting slammed as stupid, but I enjoy them ...
Judge Dread
Armegeddon
Cool World
I think you have something there CHEEZEE;  You could add WATERWORLD to that list 'cause I find it interesting for one, though nobody seems to like it, and I don't particularly care for Costner . . .

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 08:03:56 PM »

I like Waterworld and even have the DVD ... yep should have put it on my list.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 10:43:31 PM »

I like Waterworld and even have the DVD ... yep should have put it on my list.
Applause! BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:45:12 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 08:29:32 AM »

Judge Dread
Dungeons & Dragons

If enjoying these movies is stupid, then call me Retardo Montleban. Even with Rob Schneider (the former) and Marlon Wayans (the latter) in them, I was just as shocked as most of my friends to discover I actually had fun watching both of these! Granted, neither one will ever warrant a remake, a Broadway musical adaptation, or a spot on any AFI Top 100 lists anytime soon, but they were fun to watch. Besides, D&D had Bruce Payne in it, so it comes with a set of built-in awesome points!... blue lipstick aside... TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 08:57:50 AM »

I think that  Judge Dredd should be turned in to a musical.

There could be hit songs like ...

I AM da Law.

You have been Judged.

and the family sing along ...

Eat Dredd! He works out!

Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 10:05:23 AM »

Jaws II...not as good as the original, but unfairly panned by most critics IMO
A lot of sequels are better than people say, two immediately come to mind that were even better than their precursor in a lot of ways.

Child's Play 2
and The Return of Count Yorga

Unfortunately, these are seen as a lot of people to be rip offs of their originals. Though they are similar in a few ways, shouldn't they be? They're about the same antagonists aren't they?

Child's Play 2 had more killing than the first, scarier killings, and yes, more suspense. Andy saw Chucky come back, his adoptive parents killed, and the final battle was one of the bloodiest deaths of a doll ever captured on screen!

Return of Yorga wasn't as scary as the first, but was still plenty creepy in parts, and had noticeably better acting, not to mention the characters were more explored.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 11:00:01 AM »

I AM da Law.

You have been Judged.

Eat Dredd! He works out!

Cheeze, if someone makes it, I will buy front row tickets for the entire run.  TeddyR

Apparently I got really buzzed one night and just kept saying Rob Schneider's "Okay Mr. 'I am the law'." line over and over. My girlfriend laughed at it for the first hour, then got really annoyed for the rest of the time afterwards... sad.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 11:50:22 AM »

I AM da Law.

You have been Judged.

Eat Dredd! He works out!

Cheeze, if someone makes it, I will buy front row tickets for the entire run.  TeddyR

Apparently I got really buzzed one night and just kept saying Rob Schneider's "Okay Mr. 'I am the law'." line over and over. My girlfriend laughed at it for the first hour, then got really annoyed for the rest of the time afterwards... sad.

LMAO ... that's one of my line around the house when I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to get all these women here in gear. I blurt out in my best Rob S, doing Sly S saying "I am the law!"

Never works, but I feel better.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 02:36:17 PM »

I think Daredevil get's a little too harsh treatment. Though I've read very little of the character I will admit. I loved Bullseye and the Kingpin. I do hear that the director's cut is better.

Godzilla Final Wars. Seems pretty 50/50 to me but I still think it's underrated. I liked it on first viewing but it's grown on me. Second best of the Millenium series.

GMK, again needs more fans. The best of the Millenium series.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Hammock Rider

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 02:57:53 PM »

Has anyone mentioned Hudson Hawk? I'm at a loss to explain all the hate for this one. It's just goofy fun. I could watch it every day. I refer all the critics who panned it to Sgt. Hulka, who said 'Lighten up, Francis."

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  UNDERRATED? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.