Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:30:24 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Gamera trilogy (1990s) DVD boxed set « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gamera trilogy (1990s) DVD boxed set  (Read 3118 times)
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« on: July 31, 2007, 01:48:47 AM »

I was at Fry's tonight and while browsing through their selection of movies I came across this.  The box calls itself the "Limited Edition Box Set - GAMERA - Complete DVD Collection" and it contains the three Gamera films from the 1990s: "Gamera: Guardian of the Universe", "Gamera: Attack of Legion" and "Gamera: Revenge of Iris".  The cost was $35.

Each movie comes on its own dual-layer DVD loaded with extras.  The movies are in widescreen with Japanese 5.1 and English 5.1 surround sound and optional English subtitles.

I like Gamera films, these 3 especially, so the movies alone were worth the $35 in my opinion.  The extras on the discs add icing onto the cake.  Besides the interviews, press conferences, original trailers and TV spots, behind the scenes features etc... the second two discs each also has an "outtakes" short, which is really just used scenes with alternate humorous dialog.

In addition to the above, the 2nd two discs also contain an alternate English audio track.  For the 3rd movie, this track is a (fake) commentary track featuring Gamera and Iris.  As for the 2nd movie, well, let me show you what the DVD menu says:

GAMERA - LAKE TEXARKANA

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE TRAILER PARK....

Not only did the Legion whomp up on Japan, but them nasty little critters done begun spreadin' world wide!  Even over yonder in places like Texarkana!  With the help of additional audio tracks and the vocal stylings of a few choice rednecks, ADV Films is proud to bring you their story.

* Note: the language and opinions expressed by rednecks do not represent those of ADV.

That's right, the entire movie done in redneck voices.   Buggedout  (Except the character I refer to as Little Miss Expositor.)  The main military character's voice is a good imitation of Bill Clinton.   TeddyR  Here's a sample of the new dialog (C = Clinton, G = general, O = other officer, W = woman)(remember to picture them in redneck voices):

C: We gotta get on the stick here fellas.  Ah mean it!  If we don't pluck this chicken quick, we're gonna be surrounded by peckers!
G: I hate this job!  I shoulda joined the circus like mama told me to.  Then I wouldn't be dealin' with skeeters 'n' turtles 'n' hippies 'n' s**t.  Woman?
W: <original expository dialog>
C: <laughing> Did she just say "launch a seed" a minute ago?
O: Well how come them skeeters didn't attack the turtle when he pulled the pod the second time?
W: <original dialog>
C: Sounds like the same problem "Office Mustache" was havin'.[ED: refers to a joke from previous scene]
G: I don' even know what we're talkin' about no more.  Whole thing's bass-ackwards.  Look here, retards!  Squish all the skeeters you want.  I'm gonna get my dad-gum fishin' on.

What more can I say?  I'm having to pause the movie every few minutes so I can stop laughing.  I'm figuring this is one of those things that you'll either really love or really hate with no middle ground.

I highly recommend this box set to any kaiju fan, but especially to Gamera fans.  Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 07:51:08 PM »

I actually picked up the first film with the special box, and the other two films at the same time.  It wound up costing me more, but at least I got them!

I'd say this is one of my favorite, if not my top, series of kaiju flicks.  They've set such a high bar that it's been hard to reach ever since.  While the Millennium series of Godzilla was okay, it still, at least IMO, doesn't touch the Gamera trilogy.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Gamera trilogy (1990s) DVD boxed set « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.