Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:56:18 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Black and white at a mortuary..? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Black and white at a mortuary..?  (Read 5075 times)
u0127907
New Visitor

« on: July 12, 2007, 10:33:26 PM »

Hi, I saw what had to be a B-Movie years ago and never found out the title of it... Years later I am still haunted by it and want to find out what it was that I was watching. To make things worse, I can only remember bits and pieces of the movie. If anyone can piece together what little info I remember and can help me pin point this movie I will be forever in your gratitude.

First of all, it was black and white. The protagonist was a boy, who worked at a cemetery/funeral home/mausoleum (which belonged to a relative?) This funeral home I believe had themed areas, like an Egyptian room, or a garden room and people could come and choose where they would like to be "put to rest". Now I think there were soldiers (most likely Nazis?) or some military commander who wanted to use something at the mortuary to make a space rocket..? That’s all I remember because, I don't think I was awake when the movie ended.  Bluesad When I saw it I was in England and, remember the film being shown in English. Don't know if that was the original language the show was filmed in though.

I remember watching it thinking to myself, this is awesome! I'll definitely watch this movie when I get home yet, never knowing what indeed I saw, years later am still looking.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »

The movie you are thinking of is THE LOVED ONE, a truly bizarre black comedy with a stellar cast:

Jonathan Winters
Dana Andrews
Milton Berle
James Coburn
John Gielgud
Tab Hunter
Liberace
Roddy McDowall
Robert Morley
and in a truly twisted performance...Rod Steiger as "Mr. Joyboy"

It's available on a recently released DVD.  Strange strange movie.  Perfect for this board.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:21:43 PM »

THE LOVED ONE was just shown this week on TCM.  Gerry is right, though he doesn't mention the lead Robert Morse (got to admit I don't remember Tab Hunter) the film you are looking to identify is THE LOVED ONE.  Though your description is not entirely accurate, it without doubt describes no other flick. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 11:08:17 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
u0127907
New Visitor

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 12:02:11 AM »

You guys are so awesome (and prompt) I'll see if I can track this down.  You've just solved my super life mystery.  Thanks again! 
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 12:29:57 AM »

You guys are so awesome (and prompt) I'll see if I can track this down.  You've just solved my super life mystery.  Thanks again! 
Karma, for you, kiddo.  That's a hell of a "life mystery" but I know how that is.  There's a film I've yet to identify I've been looking for for a long time.  THE LOVED ONE is an unusual and interesting film. 

CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 12:30:42 AM »

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5787557&src1=pricegrabber&extid=df00010

Here you go ...

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 02:15:48 PM »

that was "The Loved One." Darn! I saw that years ago, on television, and then not all the way through, but it is amazing how much of that film I still remember.

So more of the cast that may be familiar.

Margaret Leighton
Lionel Stander
Chick Hearn
Bernie Kopell
Alan Napier
Reta Shaw
Paul Williams
and Jamie Farr.

And the writers were Evelyn Waugh (based upon his book of the same title), Terry Southern, and Christopher Isherwood. And the director was Tony Richardson.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 10:37:25 PM »

So more of the cast that may be familiar.
Margaret Leighton Lionel Stander Chick Hearn Bernie Kopell Alan Napier Reta Shaw Paul Williams and Jamie Farr.
And the writers were Evelyn Waugh (based upon his book of the same title), Terry Southern, and Christopher Isherwood. And the director was Tony Richardson.
I was roaring at the part with Jamie Farr changing Lyndon Johnson's portrait for QEII in the Brit club!  Good for you, Gerry didn't mention everybody, but he did identify this oddball right quick, and it does have a laundry list of familiar faces!  This film identifies the moment that Hollywood died.  Hollywood exposes itself, tries to cover up its cracks, and reflects on its glory days.   Showmanship even in decay and death, and some poor fools, lost, clinging to insanity...the new Brit and the lost little girl living on top of a landslide.  Boy, that is an interesting film, if not very strange. 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Black and white at a mortuary..? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.