Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:53:14 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Transformers (2007) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Transformers (2007)  (Read 6319 times)
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« on: July 04, 2007, 11:08:32 PM »

Wow. Just, wow. I just got home from the new Transformers flick directed by Michael Bay, and I can honestly say this more than makes up for any screw-ups Bay made in his previous films, which were basically just 90 minutes of explosions and gun fights. Don't get me wrong, that stuff is in Transformers, but there's a bit more depth this time. It isn't just a great Sci-Fi/ Action movie- Its a great movie period. It isn't without its flaws, but it still kicks ass.

Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf, Surf's Up, Disturbia) has just gotten his first car. Only problem is, it turns out be a transforming robot from space named Bumblebee. See, a long, long, long frikkin' time ago, an object called the All Spark crash landed on Earth from the planet Cybertron, and now two factions of mechanical beings have come to retrieve it. One one side are the Autobots, who are the good guys, and the Decepticons, the villians who want to use the All Spark to create an army of their brethren from anything mechanical to take over the universe.

When I say anything, I mean the Decepticons will use the All Spark on ANYTHING to add to their numbers. Seriously, there's even a part where a vending machine comes to life and starts wrecking havoc.

Almost everything about the film works. Not everything, of course, this is still a Michael Bay film based on action figures, but Transformers still surpassed by expectations by a longshot. The humor is more humorous than that is most comedies nowadays ("Stop lubricating the man, Bumblebee!"), the actions scenes really get the adrenaline pumping, and the serious parts are good, too. Transformers is not a masterpiece, not at all, but it still succeeds where others fail.

Now for those couple of shortcomings I was talking about. A couple of the effects look a little phony, the sexual innuendo is kind of out of place in a film like this, the Decepticons are all just faceless drones (save for Megatron, who still only has very little depth) waiting to be killed off by the combined forces of the Autobots and the human military, and plus the Decepticons Frenzy (the little one) and Starscream (the jet) just kind of disappear from the movie after being in a couple of scenes. Same for the aforementioned vending machine monster. It just sort of vanishes.

Also, Optimus Prime, the leader of the Autobots, sure is a jerk, despite being the heroic and courageous leader of the good and noble Autobots. When Bumblebee is captured by a secret organization called Sector Seven, Prime basically says "Leave him, Bumblebee would want to be prodded and electrocuted for years on end". (SPOILER!) And when Jazz, the mandatory jive-talking rapper Autobot is killed by Megatron, Optimus is just like "What? Jazz is dead? Huh, that sucks. So what do you think of our new planet?". I'm not saying he was a total a***ole, I'm just saying these two parts made him seem like something of a jerk-off. And what was the point of Anthony Anderson's hacker character?

One last complaint: Its too frigging long. I mean, 144 minutes? Two and a half hours? That's kind of a long time to be watching Transformers, don't you think? Thankfully, the film moves at a brisk pace.

Back to the good parts. The effects are excellent! There's good CGI. Then there's great CGI. Then there's Transformers CGI. Other than a few moments of cheesiness, everything in this film looks real. Period. The acting is fairly good. LaBeouf has great comedic timing, and Bernie Mac's brief appearance is a hoot to watch. The script was, too my surprise, not the lowlight of the film, and Michael Bay proves he's not just good for blowing stuff up.

My advice? Unless you're a whiny G1 fanboy who isn't open to change, or someone with no sense of fun or imagination, roll out to see Transformers ASAP! It isn't perfect, but its good fun anyway.

SCORE
 Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile 1/2 out of five
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:17:08 PM by CoreyHeldpen » Logged

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 01:22:33 AM »

The Autobots hoped to use the AllSpark to revitalize their homeworld yet all the Allspark seemed capable of was creating evil Decepticons. Explain.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 03:16:07 AM »

Well the AllSpark is clearly a monstrous Rubik's Cube (or a robotic Cenobite puzzlebox). Perhaps the Autobots know how to solve the puzzle to create good robots? Actually, this is one thing that truly did bug me about the movie Foy. If the "Allspark" is capable of bringing inanimate electronic/mechanical objects to life, then why didn't Optimus and his fellow Autobots use it to whip up a miniature army to combat the Decepticons?!

I still think the movie is great fun though! Glad to see I'm not the only one that fully enjoyed it. (Right on CoryHelpden!)  TeddyR

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
MoronBoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 07:13:30 PM »

When I say anything, I mean the Decepticons will use the All Spark on ANYTHING to add to their numbers. Seriously, there's even a part where a vending machine comes to life and starts wrecking havoc.

Did anybody else see the "killer soda machine" part in Maximum Overdrive replay in their heads as they read this line?
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed Transformers.  The humor almost moved beyond sitcomedy into outright stupidity at times, but it was usually moving fast enough not to really disgust me.  The action scenes didn't pull any punches, and if it was hard to tell exactly what was going on at times, I've been enough simulated battles (SCA) to know that confusion of that sort is completely realistic, so it didn't bother me at all.

Sure, it's pure pop-corn and soda pop, but it's fun pop-corn and soda pop.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 12:08:57 PM »

The action scenes didn't pull any punches, and if it was hard to tell exactly what was going on at times, I've been enough simulated battles (SCA) to know that confusion of that sort is completely realistic, so it didn't bother me at all.

realistic? Your talking about realistic in a movie about robots from outerspace that transform into manmade vehicles? A movie where a blond stripper looking chick knows more about computers than military experts with years of training? A movie where a giant cube can magically turn a vending machine into a robot? A movie where that same giant cube is as big as a house in one scene, and then the size of a basket ball in another?

Spare me the realism. That ship has sailed. Give me good clear cut visuals. I want to see the transformers transforming, I want to see the transformers fighting, and I want to see it clearly. I want to see every punch thrown, every missle fired, and every explosion. That is the whole point of doing this movie. If they aren't going to show that in a clear, legible way, then this movie is just another forgetable summer popcorn flic.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »

I'm a big fan of G1 transformers.  The transformers movie in the 80s started with 30 minutes of pure action then tried to make a story.  This movie tries to have a story first and ends with 30 minutes of pure action.  But that is about the only similarity with the original transformers.  This movie really focused on human  characters instead of the transformers characters.  Other then Optimus none of them have depth.  The movie is without a doubt made for regular people instead of transformers fans.

CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 01:42:37 PM »

Did anybody else see the "killer soda machine" part in Maximum Overdrive replay in their heads as they read this line?

Now that you mention it...

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 04:20:17 PM »

The Mountain Dew machine shooting cans of Mt. Dew was pretty funny.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Transformers (2007) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.