Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:50:41 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are some movies you hated at first but learned to love? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What are some movies you hated at first but learned to love?  (Read 11864 times)
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 05, 2007, 09:59:44 AM »

Everyone has some movies that the first time you saw it... it did nothing for you but as you got older and revisited the movie it was a lot better than you remembered...

There's 3 films that come to mind for me:
1) The Funhouse
2) Secretary
3) Eaten Alive

What are some of yours?
Menard
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 10:26:04 AM »

Could you specify which Eaten Alive film, as there are two: the Italian cannibal one, and the Tobe Hooper one (I'm presuming you mean the Tobe Hooper one as you also have Funhouse listed).

I had a thread similar to this, but a long while ago on the old board. One of the first movies that comes to mind for me, and that influenced that old thread, is Airplane.

When I had first seen Airplane, I did not care for it; it frankly didn't make me laugh. Just a few years ago, I had caught Airplane playing on a local station, and laughing at a lot of it that I had not thought was funny before.
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 11:10:58 AM »

Could you specify which Eaten Alive film, as there are two: the Italian cannibal one, and the Tobe Hooper one (I'm presuming you mean the Tobe Hooper one as you also have Funhouse listed).

I had a thread similar to this, but a long while ago on the old board. One of the first movies that comes to mind for me, and that influenced that old thread, is Airplane.

When I had first seen Airplane, I did not care for it; it frankly didn't make me laugh. Just a few years ago, I had caught Airplane playing on a local station, and laughing at a lot of it that I had not thought was funny before.

Yeah the Tobe Hooper Eaten Alive... I didn't realize how well directed his movies were until recently... I love his sense of paceing
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 11:37:13 AM »

I didn't care to much for Event Horizon the first time I saw it, but now I consider it a master piece.
Menard
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:45:46 AM »

I didn't care to much for Event Horizon the first time I saw it, but now I consider it a master piece.

So sorry to hear that. Not to worry, you'll improve.
Goji_girl
Bad Movie Lover

MEATLOAF! (meet-low-ff)

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 11:50:35 AM »

1. The thing (yes, I admit it)
2. Gamera vs. Gyaos (I hated Gamera until I actually gave it a chance)
3. Godzilla vs. Megalon (Now that I think of it, I still don't really like it)

ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 12:13:01 PM »

Mine is, and I'm ready to be torched for it: Monty Python's Holy Grail. I saw it for the first time when I was a teenager, and I don't know why, but I hated it. Maybe I was in a bad mood, maybe something else interfeering, but I just couldn't get into it. Now I regularly watch it and Live at the Hollywood Bowl, Meaning of Life, Life of Brian, And Now for something Completely Different (please let me know if there's anything else out there from them). Holy Grail must be the most quoted film ever, I hear lots of quotes from it.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 12:28:12 PM »

Re.  Please let me know re. More Monty Python Movies:
Sadly, for the Full Monty, as it were, the ones you name are it --
HOWEVER, check out the numerous "solo" projects, which more often than not involve more than one of them:
"Privates on Parade"(Cleese)
"Yellowbeard"(Chapman & Cheech & Chong. Not that good, sadly.)
"A Private Function"(Palin)
"A Fish Called Wanda"(Palin & Cleese.  Skip the Fierce Creatures sequel.)
"The Minister"(Palin)
"Jabberwocky"(Palin & Gilliam & Innes.  Neil Innes did most of the music
              for Python.  He's the guy singing behind Brave Sir Robin &
              the guy who gets hit with the hammer in Hollywood Bowl.)
Also a pre-Python Cleese and Chapman in "The Magic Christian", with Peter Sellers, Ringo Starr, Christopher Lee & Raquel Welch -- to name but a few of the stars.
For that matter, check out Neil Innes with Eric Idle in "The Rutles", along with Bianca Jagger, George Harrison, etc.  That's also Neil Innes with The Beatles & Bonzo Dog Band, performing "Death Cab For Cutie" in "Magical Mystery Tour"
Aside from the numerous TV Python episodes, many fans overlook the very wonderful Michael Palin/Terry Jones TV collaboration, "Ripping Yarns".  These episodes are every bit as funny as Pure Python, and are sure to satisfy your Jones if you've already OD'd on reruns.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 05:30:24 PM »

Well,when was a kid,they would show lotsa crappy movies on TV,that I HATED back then...but now I treasure:
Al Adamson's DRACULA vs. FRANKENSTEIN: When I first saw the cover of Famous Monsters #89,with the Dracula sporting an afro...it was sacrilige! THEN,I caught it on TV...YIKES! WORSE then I could have imagined! Now,it's one of my favorite BAD MOVIES. Same goes for ASTRO ZOMBIES,which I saw on Shock Theatre back in the 70's...I thought it was some kinda crappy joke! Of course,I own it now!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ometiklan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 07:05:41 PM »

Forbidden Planet.
I really didn't think much of it the first time I saw it.
Now it's on My Top Ten List! Smile

And when he shall die
Take him and cut him into little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
MoronBoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 07:23:58 PM »

The Cable Guy- Watched it when I was 14 or 15, and despised it. Guess it was because I was expecting Ace Ventura Pt. III

The Frighteners- My Dad, younger sister, and I watched this together around the time it came out on video and absolutely hated it. We were all expecting a straight horror pic at first(because that's what the TV ads made it look like). Now it is probably my favorite horror-comedy of all time.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 07:38:36 PM »

I remember thinking "Roadhouse" was a fairly generic action-fest the first time I saw it. only later did I come to appreciate the unintentional (or perhaps intentional?) LOL factor of every scene....like the bit where Swayze practices his Martial Arts moves, which presumably was intended as a very deep and moving scene, but now literally makes me p**s myself. (not literally)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 08:06:25 PM »

Do you mean a masterpiece?  Or a master pieceTeddyR

I, myself never thought too poorly of it.  I'm too fond of the cast.  It allowed me to overcome any of the typical issues people have with it.

...and Ometiklan, your subtly breathing avatar is real damn unnerving! Wink

As for a hate-to-love film...for myself, the closest thing I have to SaintMort's is PAY IT FORWARD.  I had to see it with my wife after losing a bet.  I thought it was typical, unctious, smarmy, newagey huggy-buggy garbage.  Then over time(as my wife has the damn DVD!)I began to open up to both Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt.  Actually Spacey is pretty much his reliable deft outsider, but Hunt was fantastic.  A nice break from the crap she was doing post-Mad About You.  I felt she made for a very appealing human being in that role, something crucial to the plot.

NOTE:  A key to my embracing this film is the ability to tune out Macualy Taylor Osment, or whatever the hell his name is!  Thumbup

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 08:54:51 PM »

The Cable Guy- Watched it when I was 14 or 15, and despised it. Guess it was because I was expecting Ace Ventura Pt. III

The Frighteners- My Dad, younger sister, and I watched this together around the time it came out on video and absolutely hated it. We were all expecting a straight horror pic at first(because that's what the TV ads made it look like). Now it is probably my favorite horror-comedy of all time.

Cable guy is definately another one on my list... for some reason that also reminded me about Ed Wood which is one of my top 10 favorite movies now but I hated it the first time I watched (same with this film called Sublime)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 09:01:06 PM »

Secretary and White Palace. At first, both didn't seem all that special to me but later I felt they were a little bit more than just steamy sex although that's there too.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are some movies you hated at first but learned to love? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.