Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:16:55 PM
714238 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are some movies you hated at first but learned to love? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What are some movies you hated at first but learned to love?  (Read 11966 times)
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 10:07:01 PM »

Mine is, and I'm ready to be torched for it: Monty Python's Holy Grail. I saw it for the first time when I was a teenager, and I don't know why, but I hated it. Maybe I was in a bad mood, maybe something else interfeering, but I just couldn't get into it. Now I regularly watch it and Live at the Hollywood Bowl, Meaning of Life, Life of Brian, And Now for something Completely Different (please let me know if there's anything else out there from them). Holy Grail must be the most quoted film ever, I hear lots of quotes from it.

In addition to peter johnson's list there is also Fawlty Towers. TV series starring John Cleese and Connie Booth, can be seen on PBS or BBC America, it's a real funny show.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 10:07:14 PM »

Menard is in the hating part of the process of learning to love Zardoz.

Give him a few more years and he'll just LUUURRRRRRRVE it!   He's just learning how!  TeddyR
Menard
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 10:11:19 PM »

Menard is in the hating part of the process of learning to love Zardoz.

Give him a few more years and he'll just LUUURRRRRRRVE it!   He's just learning how!  TeddyR

I forgive you; I know it's the vagina talking, and not you. TongueOut
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 10:15:30 PM »

The Frighteners- My Dad, younger sister, and I watched this together around the time it came out on video and absolutely hated it. We were all expecting a straight horror pic at first(because that's what the TV ads made it look like). Now it is probably my favorite horror-comedy of all time.
I think Michael J. Fox offers a stunningly unexpected performance in THE FRIGHTENERS.

Having waited a longtime to finally see VERTIGO, when I finally got to see it, I was unimpressed, bored, rolling my eyes...but the score by Bernard Herrmann stayed in my mind and played over and over (mainly because of Herrmann's purposeful borrowing of a theme of Wagner) until I sought a cd of it and finally re-watched the film...and got it!!!   It's definitely in my top 20 favorite films, which is high praise from me!   TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Raffine

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »

but the score by Bernard Herrmann stayed in my mind and played over and over

I think we've discussed the scene where Kim Novak emerges from the bathroom bathed in green light as Herrmann's score climaxes is about the most breath-taking moment in any film.

I first saw THE MUMMY (1932) when I was about ten years old and thought it was the most boring thing I'd ever witnessed. I thought those other Mummy movies with Lon Chaney, Jr. were so much more scarier! Now I think Karloff's version is the creepiest of the early Universal horror films. "He went for a little walk! You should have seen his face!"

It still takes me several viewings to warm up to any Kubrick film, but I'd have to say DR. STRANGELOVE is still the only one I 'love'.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 01:27:45 AM »

Re.  Please let me know re. More Monty Python Movies:
Sadly, for the Full Monty, as it were, the ones you name are it --
HOWEVER, check out the numerous "solo" projects, which more often than not involve more than one of them:
"Privates on Parade"(Cleese)
"Yellowbeard"(Chapman & Cheech & Chong. Not that good, sadly.)
"A Private Function"(Palin)
"A Fish Called Wanda"(Palin & Cleese.  Skip the Fierce Creatures sequel.)
"The Minister"(Palin)
"Jabberwocky"(Palin & Gilliam & Innes.  Neil Innes did most of the music
              for Python.  He's the guy singing behind Brave Sir Robin &
              the guy who gets hit with the hammer in Hollywood Bowl.)
Also a pre-Python Cleese and Chapman in "The Magic Christian", with Peter Sellers, Ringo Starr, Christopher Lee & Raquel Welch -- to name but a few of the stars.
For that matter, check out Neil Innes with Eric Idle in "The Rutles", along with Bianca Jagger, George Harrison, etc.  That's also Neil Innes with The Beatles & Bonzo Dog Band, performing "Death Cab For Cutie" in "Magical Mystery Tour"
Aside from the numerous TV Python episodes, many fans overlook the very wonderful Michael Palin/Terry Jones TV collaboration, "Ripping Yarns".  These episodes are every bit as funny as Pure Python, and are sure to satisfy your Jones if you've already OD'd on reruns.
peter johnson/denny crane

I love Fish called Wanda/Fierce Creatures, Yellowbeard was horrible, What about Jabberwockey? I've heard opposing opinions. I'll check out Ripping Yarns. I'm surprized you don't like Fierce Creatures, I thought it was good, Especially how Kevin Klien played the kid, and his dad both, THEN, in the movie, as the kid, dressed up to look like the dad, and got it kinda close. . weird. I've never heard of private function, I'll check it out also

In addition to peter johnson's list there is also Fawlty Towers. TV series starring John Cleese and Connie Booth, can be seen on PBS or BBC America, it's a real funny show.

Yea, I used to Tivo those when they were on, I think I've seen them all, pretty good though.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pilgermann

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 01:42:06 AM »

I remember thinking that Zoolander was a terrible piece of crap when I first saw it.  Then I went to see it again with one of my friends and I thought it was hilarious.

felgekarp
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 04:31:53 AM »

Die Hard, when Batman came out I went to see it with all my mates and we all agreed it was the best film we'd ever seen, hey we were all in our teens we didn't know better, a couple of weeks later on  one of them got hold of a copy of Die Hard and he said it was even better than Batman, this statement made me hate it immediately, we went round to watch it but I just sat and read a magazine all the way through and paid no attention to it, what a fool.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 04:55:38 AM »

I first saw THE MUMMY (1932) when I was about ten years old and thought it was the most boring thing I'd ever witnessed. I thought those other Mummy movies with Lon Chaney, Jr. were so much more scarier! Now I think Karloff's version is the creepiest of the early Universal horror films. "He went for a little walk! You should have seen his face!"

I felt the same way! And it was just untill very recently...(like a few weeks ago!) that I rewatched it,and found it MUCH better than I remembered! Karl Freund's photography is stunning!!!  Thumbup And the closeup...with Karloff's glowing eyes....WOW.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »

I'd have to say that I absolutely hated Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy when I first saw it.
No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get into its weird brand of humor.

Then I watched it a second time several months later and I loved it!
I even went out and bought it on DVD after that.
It's loaded with hilarious quotes that I use from time to time.

"Hey everyone.  Come and see how good I look!"
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrvmz_tPRk8
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 07:59:42 AM »

^ to be honest I liked the first half of anchorman but it got a bit too O.T.T crazy and directionless 'Hollywood Blockbuster' towards the end. If anything I wanted it to be more weird/surreal. theres a few classic quotes and scenes in there even so. "I want to...be on you" etc.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »

Another one is "The Breakfast Club", , I HATED it the first time, then later saw it and liked it alot, , ,then, , it got way to old, it's like an old, worn-out cliche. . I'm right back to hating it. . Molly Ringwald just doesn't fit the princess role, , she always looks like a dork to me. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
peter johnson

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 04:48:29 PM »

More Monty Stuff:
I'm squarely on the side of people who think "Jabberwocky" is great stuff -- I saw it again several months ago for I think the 5th(?) time, and it really holds up.  Neil Innes is hysterical as a very very nervous palace guard.  Palin is perfect as the clueless "man on a quest".  The thing that threw a lot of people who disliked this picture when it first came out is that it really is a Terry Gilliam film, and not so much a Monty Python film.  Gilliam made this prior to "Time Bandits (Also with Cleese and Palin -- another for the list)", and it can be considered a sort of warm-up to that.
All the castle interiors are shot in the dim gloom that castle interiors really looked like back then, not the overlit Hollywood sound stages of "Camelot", etc.  Many people didn't understand that either.
Plus, it has a stupefying amount of gore.  Literal buckets of blood and guts are thrown about willy-nilly, especially during the tournament sequence.  It's just so far over the top that the top isn't even visible!
That REALLY put a lot of people off first time out --
"Fierce Creatures" I don't like because it's so obviously cobbled together from 2 completely different films, and shows the backstage squabbling that Cleese was enduring from the producers.  Cleese wanted to make another black comedy, even nastier than "Wanda", and the studio fought him every step of the way, wanting instead something sweeter with a happy ending.  The sentimental bilge that the film is rife with, including the sappy musical score, was forced on Cleese, and essentially the film was taken away from him.  Cleese barely mentions it today, and Palin not at all.
"A Private Function" has not only Palin, but an amazing Brenda Fricker, and an even more amazing Maggie Smith, along with a basketful of those great British character-actors you always see but never know their names.
It is a comedy about meat-rationing.  We lucky Americans had rationing end the day WW2 ended -- The poor Brits had to endure almost 10 more years of coupons and ration books, as their decimated country and economy tried to get its post-war footing.  The film is a farcical account of one family's attempt to circumvent the law and have a proper meal to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's coronation.  Complications ensue.
Somethings I learned from this film:  Pig poop is a metaphor for The Human Condition.  Pig poop can also be a metaphor for Class Consciousness and Class Struggle.  Maggie Smith is the most overlooked comedic actress of our time.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 04:59:42 PM »

Here are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head:

Phantasm - Mentioned this in another post.  Hated it my first time around.  I ended up watching the sequels and buying the dvd when it was released years ago.  Fell in love it, and it's still a fun one for me.

Dawn Of The Dead - WTF!?  Yeah, I hated Dawn the first time I watched it.  I remember reading SO much about the film and it was my first introduction into the NOTLD films.  I borrowed a VHS copy of it from someone (Theatrical Cut) and I thought it was one of the biggest pieces of crap I had ever seen.  Sure the first 15 minutes were good but everything after was boring.  Ended up picking up NOTLD and Day despite my hatred of Dawn, and both worked for me.  Went back and bought Dawn and absolutely loved it my second time around.  Not sure why I hated it initially.  Now, it's one of my favorite films of all time and by far my favorite zombie film.

Blue Velvet - Hated this one when I first rented it a long time ago.  After a few more viewings, I realized just how layered and fantastic the film was.  Hopper's character is hugely entertaining as well.  Great film.

Dr. Strangelove - Someone else mentioned this earlier.  Not sure what it was about the film initially that I didn't like.  I don't think the humor sat well with me my first time around.  After watching it a few more times, I realized just how good and funny the film is.  It's one that I quote on a weekly basis. 

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Menard
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »

Dawn Of The Dead - WTF!? 

Although I didn't hate it the first time I had seen it, I did find it to be quite boring throughout a good part of the film. I can more thoroughly enjoy it now after having had several viewings.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are some movies you hated at first but learned to love? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.