Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:11:53 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are some movies you hated at first but learned to love? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What are some movies you hated at first but learned to love?  (Read 11902 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2007, 04:10:48 PM »

There are alot of movies I dislike, but only three come to mind, where I went from dislike to like on a second viewing.

"Anatomy of a Murder"
Perhaps, something of a cheat, as the first time I saw it, I didn't see all of it. The second time I saw it, I saw it all the way to the end and liked it.

"Lair of the White Worm"
Actually, it took me three times to see this, before I began to like it. And now it is one of my favorite films.

"Porkchop Hill"
I didn't like it, the first stime I saw it. The second time I saw it, I liked it.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2007, 08:05:39 PM »

I think we've discussed the scene where Kim Novak emerges from the bathroom bathed in green light as Herrmann's score climaxes is about the most breath-taking moment in any film.
I can think of a few even more breathtaking moments in films like PSYCHO, THELMA & LOUISE, DIEHARD... though that moment in VERTIGO is one of my favorites. 

It still takes me several viewings to warm up to any Kubrick film, but I'd have to say DR. STRANGELOVE is still the only one I 'love'.
I'd have to agree; though I now love 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY I was bored by it more than once when I was very young.  The equally static BARRY LYNDON was, however, love at first sight for me.   I'd guess I'm still in the "hating phase" for A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.  I happen to like THE SHINING so well I re-enact it whenever I get the chance...   Lookingup
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 08:12:12 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2007, 10:01:06 PM »

I hated THE POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE the first time I saw it.  Since then, I have probably seen it 8 or 10 times and I get something new out of it with every repeat viewing.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Menard
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2007, 10:43:19 PM »

Another one which comes to mind for me is Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things. The first time I had seen it, I hated it. I guess that I was expecting more of a Zombie/Dawn of the Dead type movie; not to mention I was absolutely put off by Alan Ormsby's character. It seemed like I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen.

On a subsequent viewing, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It seemed to move along much better for me and I was able to appreciate the atmosphere, the characters, and the subtleties of the film more. I now really like the movie.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2007, 02:51:38 AM »

I forgot about the obvious one: Bad Taste, , when I was in the service on special duty (piloting a halibut fishing boat for the summer, was kewl), a crazy friend of mine introduced it to me, but during a drunken rampage of a party, so I saw very little of it. A year or so later ('91 or so) I tried to watch it and couldn't get into it. Then, in '05 or so, when I started to persue my bad-movie penchant, , I go a hold of it and watched it some, ,now it's one of my favorites. I 'think' searching for it 'may' have been how I found this site, , don't remember, but I think it was either that, OR the first review I read. . .
On another note, I KNEW I found a gem just from reading the review for Dead-Alive on this very site.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2007, 07:38:09 PM »

I first saw THE MUMMY (1932) when I was about ten years old and thought it was the most boring thing I'd ever witnessed. I thought those other Mummy movies with Lon Chaney, Jr. were so much more scarier! Now I think Karloff's version is the creepiest of the early Universal horror films. "He went for a little walk! You should have seen his face!"

I felt the same way! And it was just untill very recently...(like a few weeks ago!) that I rewatched it,and found it MUCH better than I remembered! Karl Freund's photography is stunning!!!  Thumbup And the closeup...with Karloff's glowing eyes....WOW.

I'll agree to this.  As a kid, I watched every Universal horror picture I could get my hands on... except The Mummy films.  I just didn't take to them.  But watching them now is quite enjoyable.

I saw Bad Lieutenant in the theatres and hated it.  Years later I bought the DVD for some reason that now escapes me and it was like watching a completely different film.  I loved it!

I used to hate Italian zombie films.  I just couldn't get over the campiness of zombies flying airplanes, using tools, running, talking, etc.  I think in large part I used to watch horror films expecting, well, horror.  As I get older and wiser, I realize that is asking too much and I can now appreciate crap for its crappiness.  Italian horror is now one of the largest subgenres in my film library.

++josh;
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »

Another one which comes to mind for me is Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things. The first time I had seen it, I hated it. I guess that I was expecting more of a Zombie/Dawn of the Dead type movie; not to mention I was absolutely put off by Alan Ormsby's character. It seemed like I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen.

On a subsequent viewing, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It seemed to move along much better for me and I was able to appreciate the atmosphere, the characters, and the subtleties of the film more. I now really like the movie.
There's not too many of us who like this film as compared to those who seem to loathe it!   I should admit that I always liked this film, from the first time I saw it late night on WPIX out of New York (channel 9) on CHILLER probably around 35 years ago, as cheezee as I knew it was, still it spooked the hell out of me...now, I own the DVD.  

Birthday karma for Menard.  Congratulations, you've hit a landmark.   Cheers
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 09:03:51 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What are some movies you hated at first but learned to love? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.