Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:20:00 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SLEEPAWAY CAMP ~ DUMB FILM « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: SLEEPAWAY CAMP ~ DUMB FILM  (Read 32783 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 09:32:08 PM »

A friend of mine has that 3 pack of the all three Sleepaway Camp movies that Anchor Bay put out a while back.

I've only seen the 1st one but don't the 2nd and 3rd ones have Bruce Springsteen's sister starring in it?

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 09:48:47 PM »

I've had SLEEPAWAY CAMP sitting on my shelve for a couple months now, so I didn't read any of the above.  Smile Maybe I'll watch it soon.

Go ahead...watch it...you'll love it.

uh...actually...knowing you...you probably will love it. Buggedout

I heard that Menard ! ! !  You're probably right. Smile

Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 10:43:38 AM »

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but having watched this again last night after originally viewing it years ago, I tend to agree with the claims of bad acting galore, long, overdrawn scenes (the baseball game), etc.

But you know what?  For some reason, as boring as the movie can get at times, it still manages to maintain a creepy vibe throughout.  It's the equally creepy characters (Aunt Martha, the cook who likes young girls) and atmosphere that make this movie memorable to me.  The direction is so pedestrian, but somehow manages to be eerie at the same time.

And the ending.  Let's just say its reputation is well-deserved.

Speaking of which, without spoilers, could any of you slasher experts recommend any other low budget horror movies that have surprise endings?  I realize they probably won't be as memorable as Sleepaway Camp's, but I'm a sucker for twist endings.  I've heard about April Fools Day and just read about a movie on IMDB titled Unhinged.  Any other recommendations?
Menard
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 11:01:52 AM »

Sorry for the thread necromancy

This isn't that old of a thread. The only times I've heard the term 'necro thread' is on other forums moderated by basement dwelling geeks in need of a good lay.

Here, if a thread interests you, reply to it. Aside from KYGOTC, we have all been laid, so I think we can handle it. TongueOut

Speaking of which, without spoilers, could any of you slasher experts recommend any other low budget horror movies that have surprise endings?  I realize they probably won't be as memorable as Sleepaway Camp's, but I'm a sucker for twist endings.  I've heard about April Fools Day and just read about a movie on IMDB titled Unhinged.  Any other recommendations?

Try Pranks, also known as The Dorm That Dripped Blood.
Menard
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 11:31:12 AM »

I can't belive I forgot this one, as I like it so much.

Just Before Dawn

Not a twist ending, but a serious plot twist, though it is foreshadowed.

Probably one of the damn coolest final fights in a slasher film.

For another serious plot twist, check out Alone in the Dark (the 1983 film where the hockey mask originated).
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 11:47:16 AM »

"... thread necromancy..." 
Hey!  This thread is only 10 days old! 

... it still manages to maintain a creepy vibe throughout.  It's the equally creepy characters (Aunt Martha, the cook who likes young girls) and atmosphere that make this movie memorable to me.  The direction is so pedestrian, but somehow manages to be eerie at the same time.

And the ending.  Let's just say its reputation is well-deserved.
"Aunt Martha" was unbelievable to me, a completely contrived character, right down to the tacky 1980s Ohrbach's hats on her head, but, as lewdly envelope-pushing, ridiculously risk-taking, purgatory punishment payin', as "the cook" is, he is no doubt creepy! 

ps. I once sold a magazine thru ebay to a Dolph Lundgren fanatic! (Dolph was on the cover, can't remember the title). 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 07:58:19 PM »

A PLAGUE ON ANYONE WHO BADMOUTHS SLEEPAWAY CAMP!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taymt_tNeGE

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 08:18:34 PM »

A PLAGUE ON ANYONE WHO BADMOUTHS SLEEPAWAY CAMP!
Surprised to see this old thread revived!  But not at all happy with the idea of a "PLAGUE ON" me...?  I guess that's funny...  Thanks A LOT. 
I liked the clip which highlights all to be said about this film; in fact, why look at the film at all and not just watch the clip???   Oh yes, we don't see the pp.  TeddyR
Bluesad Drink Question

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 09:13:01 PM »

Meh.  Sleepaway Camp is one that I had always hyped to me from people.  After years of this type of thing, I rented it and it was "Meh.".  Aside from an interesting kill with a curling iron and the final few seconds of the film, it was far from entertaining.  Everything about it was derivative of other, better, slashers.  I have yet to see any of the sequels because of my less than good experience with the original.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 09:16:05 PM »

Sleepaway Camp is a movie I have yet to have had the misfortune of seeing.  Although, Robot Chicken did make an obscure reference to it during an episode where they give the endings to movies.  During the commentary on the dvd, Mark Hamill was sitting in and was like, "Is this a real movie you reference or did you make it up?"  Seth was like, "Oh it's real.  Only about 3 people watching the show will understand it."

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Torgo

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 10:08:10 PM »

The only reason why Sleepaway Camp is remembered at all IMO is for the whole twist ending. Other than that it's pretty much a waste IMO though I do like the "acting" when the cook dude gets the scalding hot soup water poured on him.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 02:35:23 AM »

I just saw this one tonight for the first time And I love it. Unfortunately, the ending was ruined for me about a year ago when ROBOT CKICKEN did a skit that gave away the ending of the film. I was pretty p**sed.

ANYHOO, This one was twisted, guys. However, I do have 2 complaints.

Complaint 1- Some of the death scenes were really weak. Stung to death by BEES?! C'MON! And also, when those 4 kids were butchered while they were sleeping, the killer was no where NEAR those guys because they said they had to drive to get there, so it was obliously far away.

The second thing is, I confused me with the scene of the gay dudes in bed and the scene with Angela and peter as kids sitting on a bed pointing at eachother. I didnt get it.

The version i saw was the one that came in a box set with its sequels and it was rated "R". Does anyone know of an unrated version? I looked on google and I couldnt find anything.

(edit) I just read on the Sleepawaycamp website that the only truely uncut version of the film exists only on pre-2000 vhs's. Damn. Damn you Anchor Bay.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 03:05:32 AM by KYGOTC » Logged

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 07:05:45 AM »

I was rather fond of this whole franchise . . . esp. SLEEPAWAY CAMP III.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 09:24:54 AM »

After reading all the talk about the end of this one I just had to add it to my Netflix queue. I am one of those unfortunates who upon hearing something along the lines of, "The movie is really boring and stupid but the twist at the end makes it almost worth watching", just has to go out and watch the movie. I used to see this one at Blockbuster but never rented it as it looked like another "Friday the 13th" ripoff, now though I'll attempt to judge this movie on its own merits, if it has any.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 02:58:31 AM »

I'm a fan.  An ex of mine showed it to me, telling me it was one of her favorite horror movie.  She got so p**sed off when I laughed through most of it.  The pedophile cook killed me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SLEEPAWAY CAMP ~ DUMB FILM « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.