Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:30:50 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Name those movie clichés ... « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: Name those movie clichés ...  (Read 61154 times)
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2007, 07:13:33 PM »

What about the tough guy cliche' where the main character is impossible to defeat?

Chronicle of Riddick anyone?
"Give me the water. ALL of it Hatred"

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
peter johnson

« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2007, 12:13:14 AM »

Dear Inyarear --
  Really resent the fact that you call my reasoned and heart-felt response some sort of "rant/flame/bash" -- I in no way called you names or got "personal" or got in any way all "Ad Hominem" on you.  We were having an actual intellectual discussion.  I expressed a reasoned argument based upon my life experiences.  You choose not to respond, but somehow blame me for . . . what?  Being a "bully" or something?  My very carefully worded response to you -- I reworked it several times to in fact NOT be gratuitously insulting -- was meant to elicit a response from you as to exactly what you mean, as if you DON'T
  I did, in fact, attempt to carry on our correspondence in private -- I sent you a private in-box posting in fact.
  Please check your mailbox/personal message section.

I have no idea what this means.
peter johnson

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2007, 12:26:47 AM »

Dear Inyarear --
   Well, hitting the wrong buttons sometimes leaves off certain sections of a posting --
   However, the basic jist of what I intended does exist even though the post left off a paragraph or two --
   Yeah, I'm angry that you want to dismiss what I had to say about what you were posting as just some sort of rant/flame.  Not so.  I don't bear you any ill-will -- Hell, how could I?  I've never met you, nor you me.
   I'm all for carrying on the discussion in private -- simply hit my mailbox, or write to me at my e-mail address posted on my profile.
   One of the things I said in the message that disappeared was that you are very erudite.  I hope you continue to be so, and please post messages in my box here & we can talk in private.
peter johnson/denny crane

Texdar
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2007, 08:46:40 AM »

This is quite a long thread and though I read it all I may have missed this one:

Any killer in a slasher movie always tells the very last victim his reason for the killings before attempting to kill him/her, yet all the other victims get killed really fast without any reason to them whatsoever.  I personally find that very rude.

I bent my wookie!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2007, 10:00:09 AM »

When the villan and hero meet within eyesight of the Hero's goal (self-destruct button, off switch for some doonsday device). The villan beats the hero, and stands there with him near that goal while he gloats and explains his actions, , , while the hero devises plan-b, which is executed while the villan lets his guard down for just a second (but the rules must say the hero has to say something cool first).

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2007, 10:27:10 AM »

This one really annoys me and I saw it in a film last night ...

Anytime the hero is faced with many opponents, not 5 or 10 but maybe 20 or more they all stand around and wait for "their turn" to fight. Even with guns! They don't start blasting away all together to kill them they attack in 1, 2's or  3's so the good guy has a sporting chance to defeat all 30 or so of them. This happen why to much in Kung Fu style movies and other martial arts films.

If you've seen Equilibrium this happens a few times in that movie when the cleric is fighting and it's not the only one there have been many. Neo fighting all the Mr Smiths in the Matrix (think it was the last one) off the top of my head is another.   

Flangepart

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2007, 05:42:32 PM »

When the villan and hero meet within eyesight of the Hero's goal (self-destruct button, off switch for some doonsday device). The villan beats the hero, and stands there with him near that goal while he gloats and explains his actions, , , while the hero devises plan-b, which is executed while the villan lets his guard down for just a second (but the rules must say the hero has to say something cool first).
Ah yes....MONOLOGUING!
Gotta love THE INCREDIBLES just for that.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
peter johnson

« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2007, 01:04:01 AM »

As I said, the best "monologuing" example is in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" --
Gotta love a gun beneath the bathwater . . .
peter crane/denny johnson

Flangepart

« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2007, 10:27:12 AM »

As I said, the best "monologuing" example is in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" --
Gotta love a gun beneath the bathwater . . .
peter crane/denny johnson
Tuco :"If your gonna shoot,Shoot! Don't talk"
What i wanna know is, he had a cap and ball Colt...how did he keep the powder and primers dry?
Earwax?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2007, 02:46:06 PM »

All movie bombs will be deactivated when the digital readout hits 1 second left. 

The Hero's Sweet Lovin' powerup.  The hero must have has obligatory Sweet Lovin' with his ex (whether it's an ex-wife opr ex-girlfriend he couldn't commit to) who he has just reunited with.  The sweet Lovin' must occur before he goes to stop the main evil overlord once and for all. 

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
Raffine

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2007, 03:10:35 PM »

Characters are always able to turn on the television/radio and immediately tune in to the news story concerning them, or pick up a newspaper and have the pertinent story splashed across the headlines, no matter how trivial the story might be in the grand scheme of things (SOCIALITE HEIRESS SUSPECTED OF MURDER!!!).

While a bit more believable, I suppose, in these days of 24 hour news channels, this was going on all the way back to the 1920's.

I thought SHAUN OF THE DEAD did a good job of lampooning this particular cliche' with the characters being annoyed by the ever-growing "Dead walk the Earth" news story and constantly channel surfing to get a wy from it.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2007, 03:53:01 PM »

Tuco :"If your gonna shoot,Shoot! Don't talk"
What i wanna know is, he had a cap and ball Colt...how did he keep the powder and primers dry?
Earwax?

No, remember when he holds up the General Store and builds his own gun?  He asked the clerk for cartridges before robbing him.  I'm not much of a gun historian so the gun he may have had in that scene might have been a cap and ball gun.  But, they addressed that earlier in the film.

That scene makes the movie for me.  Smile

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »

All movie bombs will be deactivated when the digital readout hits 1 second left. 

LOL!  I can think of one movie where that doesn't happen.  "Goldfinger".  The bomb stops at seven seconds so the readout reads "007".  Cheezy but cool.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2007, 06:58:47 PM »

While diffusing a bomb in a movie, either the person diffusing the bomb or someone helping him by radio/phone will say "it's the blue wire - it's always the blue wire."

Nowadays, it has become cliche also for the person diffusing the bomb to realize that THIS evil bomber will try to outsmart them and use the RED wire instead of the blue one - so he cuts red instead.  And diffuses the bomb.

Tip for writing a better bomb diffusing scene: make ALL the wires black - the good guys won't know what to do.   TeddyR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2007, 12:25:07 AM »

Shooting computer monitors will destroy all the data.

Shooting electronic key codes to open doors, will in fact open the door.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Name those movie clichés ... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.