Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:57:50 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Name those movie clichés ... « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Name those movie clichés ...  (Read 61236 times)
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2007, 01:24:56 AM »

Dear Inyarear:
Breath taken.
Awaiting further instructions . . .
peter j/denny c

Now, take down your sneering and ill-conceived rant/flame/bash, and we'll discuss this in private.
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2007, 02:44:17 AM »

But the biggest cliche in films...childhood best friends that become arch enemies in adulthood, usually wth one being a cop and the other a villianous scumbag...

Ozzymandias speaks: Along the same lines is the one from a lot of old TV shows where one of the characters has a twin brother or sister that is the exact opposite than them. It is usually played by the same person.

My favorite of this group was Abraham Lincold Hogg, Boss Hogg's black suited, economy car driving minister brother. I also liked Ophelia, Morticia's blonde flower-child sister who could liked to use judo on Gomez. My least favorite was Alice's whistle-blowing, ex-Marine DI cousin who made the Brady's do exercises every morning. I can't remember the character's name. I hated that episode as a kid. Hatred

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2007, 07:37:48 AM »

"Grizzled guy"TM usually dies heroically to save everyone else in the end. 

Monsters kill people (presumeably for food) but they never eat their victims.

There's got to be a comic relief character who's usually unbearably obnoxious, and more often than not he'll appear to get killed but then he actually lives.

Most monsters have some sort of extremely hard exo-skeleton that makes them immune to gunfire, but this doesn't stop people from shooting at them hundreds of times.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2007, 08:24:07 AM »

to the open perversity of V for Vendetta,

What exactly was perverse about that movie?

Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2007, 08:58:40 AM »

"Grizzled guy"TM usually dies heroically to save everyone else in the end.
Sometimes "Grizzled Guy"TM actually turns out to be the hero, Empire of the Ants, The Thing, Prophecy...
Monsters kill people (presumeably for food) but they never eat their victims.
Do you not hear??!? dey kill only to keeel!!!
Most monsters have some sort of extremely hard exo-skeleton that makes them immune to gunfire, but this doesn't stop people from shooting at them hundreds of times.
Wouldn't you? Someone may pierce it.

Guy tortured girl for weeks, she forgives him.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2007, 09:51:51 AM »

The Monster kills every male character it comes into contact with but only captures the (usually) lone female character...allowing the remaining characters to mount a rescue mission.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »

All unattended bathtubs run over, regardless of the built in overflow. Same for sinks.

Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2007, 07:10:31 PM »

Just about everything. It's pro-terrorist, pro-sodomy, anti-American, and anti-Christian. If you need the long version of this answer, you can find that in a few reviews my fellow Christians have written, as well as one by a fellow conservative.

Having read Alan Moore's other famous work Watchmen, I see that he is a lot fairer to opposing viewpoints than the V movie ever was. (He's also a master of probing at perversities--Watchmen was an examination of just about everything that could possibly be wrong with guys who dress up in masks and fancy costumes to fight crime.) That's why V for Vendetta is definitely not his movie, even if it was adapted from his book.

You know, now that you mention it, anti-Americanism in films is getting to be something of a cliche too.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2007, 08:27:59 PM »

Just about everything. It's pro-terrorist, pro-sodomy, anti-American, and anti-Christian. If you need the long version of this answer, you can find that in a few reviews my fellow Christians have written, as well as one by a fellow conservative.

Having read Alan Moore's other famous work Watchmen, I see that he is a lot fairer to opposing viewpoints than the V movie ever was. (He's also a master of probing at perversities--Watchmen was an examination of just about everything that could possibly be wrong with guys who dress up in masks and fancy costumes to fight crime.) That's why V for Vendetta is definitely not his movie, even if it was adapted from his book.

You know, now that you mention it, anti-Americanism in films is getting to be something of a cliche too.

You realize America was founded through rebellion which nowadays would be considered terrorism.  Consider the Boston Tea Party and how much property damage was done.  If that took place today it would be considered terrorism.  There is nothing anti-American about being against the establishment.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »

QUOTE:   You realize America was founded through rebellion which nowadays would be considered terrorism.  Consider the Boston Tea Party and how much property damage was done.  If that took place today it would be considered terrorism.  There is nothing anti-American about being against the establishment.

The Tea Party was more of an organized act of vandalism than terrorism, actually.  The ship's captain was informed of the night the tea would be destroyed so he could have his crew ashore, the lone sentinel was tied and guarded, then released after the deed was done, and the smashed lock of the cargo hold replaced with a new one.  Sam Adams and his men wanted to make sure that what they did was a clear political statement and not a random act of destruction . . .  his men were also instructed to dump ALL of the tea into the harbor and not keep any for themselves.  The one fellow caught stuffing his pockets with tea leaves was thrown overboard and forced to swim for shore, an incident immortalized in JOHNNY TREMAINE.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2007, 09:41:01 PM »

You realize America was founded through rebellion which nowadays would be considered terrorism.  Consider the Boston Tea Party and how much property damage was done.  If that took place today it would be considered terrorism.  There is nothing anti-American about being against the establishment.

I don't think so.  IndianaSmtih can correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'enemy' the rebels were fighting against were soldiers representing the British Crown.  One of the big offenses that led to both the Declaration of Independence and the War itself was the quartering of troops (and its incident looting).  Fighting an organized army representing a sovereign State is about as far from terrorism as one can get.

That's the thing that defines terrorism - indiscriminate attack of civilians.  They may claim it is for political reasons, or rebellion or whatever, but it is essentially the cowardly attack of unarmed people just doing the daily grind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2007, 11:43:08 PM »

Just about everything. It's pro-terrorist, pro-sodomy, anti-American, and anti-Christian.

Pro-sodomy? I must have missed that part, although I do admit to not watching it too intently. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2007, 03:43:04 PM »

That's the thing that defines terrorism - indiscriminate attack of civilians.  They may claim it is for political reasons, or rebellion or whatever, but it is essentially the cowardly attack of unarmed people just doing the daily grind

To elaborate a bit further, Terrorism is simply fighting a war through terror, rather than a direct confrontation. Its purpose is to make the civillian population scared enough of attacks on themselves as individuals, that THEY pressure their governmental officials into giving in to the terrorist's demands. One step further is when the people start blaming their own government for not giving in to the demands of the terroristic forces, and blaming them for the violent outcome. Kinda reminds me of Stockholm Syndrome, only on a larger, less individual scale. The Boston Tea Party is not in any way an act of terrorism. Unfortunately, our government and media have caught on to the "terrorism" groove and realized they can turn large masses of people towards or against anything they choose, simply by adding "terrorism" or "anti-terrorism" to its name. Unfortunately, people fall for it. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 03:10:36 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »

Just about everything. It's pro-terrorist, pro-sodomy, anti-American, and anti-Christian.

I just watched it last night, never heard sodomy mentioned in any way. America was only vaguely mentioned, and not in any outlandish way. I think people are way too sensitive and seeing opposition where none exists. It was a movie, not much else to it. .

Green Lantern
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2007, 06:34:27 PM »

What about the tough guy cliche' where the main character is impossible to defeat?

Chronicle of Riddick anyone?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Name those movie clichés ... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.