Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:02:16 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Hippy Music? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hippy Music?  (Read 11539 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: July 08, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »

My wifey ,Tara Sue, likes hippy music. She saw the Grateful Dead in concert,likes Janis Joplin,Jefferson Airplane,Tom Petty....stuff like that. Anyway,she suscribed to Rolling Stone magazine awhile back. Now,personally...I'm not big on hippy music,as a whole...in fact,I really hated being called a hippy back in the 80's when I had hair down to my back,when,in backwoods Michigan,I was surronded by farmboys. I just loved hard rock. But some "hippy" stuff bled in.Love Hendrix,Janis,(not big on the Dead at all...)
           Anyway,this issue of Rolling Stone is the 40th Anniversary ish, and it's a review of the"Summer of Love"....1967. Well,in '67 I was 5,so I didn't know a thing about it. But I DO remeber Woodstock,as my Ma went to it,leaving me and my brothers in the care of a sitter,for a coupla days. Well anyway...what do you guys think of the hippy movement type music? I mean ...ahhh....hell...I dunno what I mean.  Question
                               Janis at Monteray Pop.....
                   [youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGJynZNr7rk

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:29:59 AM »

I worked for a classic rock station up until a few years ago so I'm a bit hippy'd out with a lot of the artists.  I guess it all depends who the artist is. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:59:34 PM »

Hendrix and the Doors were the best thing to come out of that era.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 02:47:34 PM »

Can't say that I would ever consider myself a hippy (quite the opposite, in fact: I a stone-cold-sober nerd), but I do like some songs by the Doobie Brothers ("Black Water," "Jesus Is Just Alright"). And I love Tom Petty, though I'd classify him more as Southern Rock than hippy.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 06:20:22 PM »

You want real hippie music, look for Phil Ochs.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 06:39:44 PM »

Donovan... If you are not into Donovan, you are no hippie! 

Actually, have been to Phish concerts, but I can't stand the Dead.  Other 60's music was listened to by hippies, but not really hippie music in my book (the Doors, fior examples)
Frankly, when I wentto college.  I was amazed to find the most judgmental and intolerant folks around were hippies, or at least the neo hippies of the late 80's.    But maybe they just don't like me in particular.
Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 07:57:12 PM »

Love Hendrix,Janis,(not big on the Dead at all...)
           Anyway,this issue of Rolling Stone is the 40th Anniversary ish, and it's a review of the"Summer of Love"....1967. Well,in '67 I was 5,so I didn't know a thing about it. But I DO remeber Woodstock,as my Ma went to it,leaving me and my brothers in the care of a sitter,for a coupla days. Well anyway...what do you guys think of the hippy movement type music?   Janis at Monteray Pop.....
How did I miss this thread?   TeddyR  Love the old psychedelic music you call "hippie."  I'm just a little older than you, but also too young for Woodstock.  Don't care for THE GRATEFUL DEAD for the most part, to me, it's overrated, though I do like "Sugaree" from Steal Your Face, I think. 

Can't say that I would ever consider myself a hippy (quite the opposite, in fact: I a stone-cold-sober nerd), but I do like some songs by the Doobie Brothers ("Black Water," "Jesus Is Just Alright"). And I love Tom Petty, though I'd classify him more as Southern Rock than hippy.
I modeled myself many years ago after my perception of tolerant, talented people, some called "hippies," but I'm hardly one.  I do agree TOM PETTY is more Southern Rock than "Hippie".  But I also think THE DOOBIE BROTHERS are also at least a little Southern Rock... by way of California!   TeddyR  And I think "Jesus Is Just Alright" is just...alright.  Much prefer "China Grove," "Listen To The Music," "Take Me In Your Arms," "Long Train Runnin'" even "What A Fool Believes..."

Donovan... If you are not into Donovan, you are no hippie! 
Actually, have been to Phish concerts, but I can't stand the Dead.  Other 60's music was listened to by hippies, but not really hippie music in my book (the Doors, fior examples)
Frankly, when I wentto college.  I was amazed to find the most judgmental and intolerant folks around were hippies, or at least the neo hippies of the late 80's.    But maybe they just don't like me in particular.
Ed

DONOVAN: you mean you don't all have Donovan's Greatest Hits?   A great collection, and all that's necessary!  Well said, Ed! 
A "neo-hippie" isn't much of  a hippie, I'd suggest, but even those once properly labeled "hippies" back in 1960s San Francisco (Haight-Ashbury locals called them "diggers") declared the "death of the hippie" at the end of the "Summer of Love" in 1967.   

Hippie Music?  Had 'em all mentioned on vinyl: I have all of THE DOORS actual albums, no collections, on CD except the live one, which I love, five JEFFERSON AIRPLANE albums (to my surprise) uploaded on my computer including Volunteers, Surrealistic Pillow, After Bathing At Baxters... love "The Ballad Of You And Me And Pooneil."  JIMI HENDRIX: love just about everything, including the first three albums, but really love later tracks like "Freedom..."  Nobody mentioned THE BEATLES?  Howzabout THE ROLLING STONES (checkout Their Satanic Majesties Request). 

PINK FLOYD's first two albums (The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and A Saucerful Of Secrets) are quite "hippie."  Hmmm, how about ARTHUR BROWN (yes, you do, he sang "Fire") CREAM (Wheels Of Fire is wonderful, but equally wonderful Disraeli Gears is even way more hippie)  IRON BUTTERFLY ("In-A-Gadda Da-Vida")?  VANILLA FUDGE (covered THE SUPREMES' "You Keep Me Hangin' On" and had a huge hit)?  PAUL BUTTERFIELD'S BLUES BAND?  THE ANIMALS?  LOVE (Forever Changes is one of my favorites)?  MOUNTAIN? 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:22:54 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 08:12:20 PM »

I like a lot of 60's and 70's music, some of which could be called "hippie," I suppose.  Bob Dylan, Hendrix, Arlo Guthrie and others.

Yes, I like the Dead - but I've found them most enjoyable when playing cards for some reason.  Don't listen to the Dead much otherwise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
IzzyDedjet
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 06:58:10 PM »

Every mentions the same old acts when the conversation turns to hippy music.
The thing that chaps my butt about this is the simple fact that no one mentions The Band.

If you want hippy, go out and rent (though I'd recommend a blind purchase of) The Last Waltz.
This was The Band's farewell concert, and included a huge number of the big names from that time period.
Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell (who makes me want to puke) Neil Young, Dr. John, and any number of performers were all on stage at some point, and then all together for the finale.
I walked into a Play It Again Sports the other day and caught myself singing Ophelia with the music that was playing in that annoying loop that they have in stores.
I guess that makes me a hippy deep down.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 07:35:55 PM »

What about these if you want groups rarely mentioned ...

1910 Fruitgum Company
The Dinosaurs
The Youngbloods
Strawberry Alarm Clock
Sopwith Camel
The Magic Mushrooms
Country Joe And The Fish
The Human Expression
Herman's Hermits
Buffalo Springfield
Big Brother and the Holding Company
Fifty Foot Hose
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Bermuda Triangle Band
Rick And The Ravens
The Psychedelic Rangers

to name a few ...

IzzyDedjet
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 08:09:52 PM »

What about these if you want groups rarely mentioned ...

1910 Fruitgum Company
The Dinosaurs
The Youngbloods
Strawberry Alarm Clock
Sopwith Camel
The Magic Mushrooms
Country Joe And The Fish
The Human Expression
Herman's Hermits
Buffalo Springfield
Big Brother and the Holding Company
Fifty Foot Hose
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Bermuda Triangle Band
Rick And The Ravens
The Psychedelic Rangers

to name a few ...

Then there's bands like

Vanilla Fudge
The Lovin' Spoonful
12 CC

I'm brain dead rightnow, but you get the message
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 01:58:52 PM »

The thing that chaps my butt about this is the simple fact that no one mentions The Band.

If you want hippy, go out and rent (though I'd recommend a blind purchase of) The Last Waltz.
This was The Band's farewell concert, and included a huge number of the big names from that time period.
Well THE LAST WALTZ was 1976 and a bit late for the "hippie" era, however, you're right THE BAND was great, but not a favorite of mine which is one reason I didn't mention them. 

Then there's bands like

Vanilla Fudge
The Lovin' Spoonful
12 CC

I'm brain dead rightnow, but you get the message
I for one mentioned VANILLA FUDGE...as well as PAUL BUTTERFIELD'S BLUES BAND, LOVE, ANIMALS, MOUNTAIN...didn't see anybody else mention these...  TeddyR  I also really like THE LOVIN' SPOONFUL, which I still listen to now and again (my newest favorite by them is "Amy's Theme...")   Wink
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 08:31:09 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 10:26:30 PM »

Well, as Peter Bagge says:

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 09:09:19 PM »

I'm listening to this hippy music:  FIFTY FOOT HOSE Cauldron

And more... JEFFERSON AIRPLANE After Bathing At Baxter's

I've been listening to lots of HIPPY MUSIC.   Smile hot  I'll post more when I can...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:08:03 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »

My idea of hippie music is kind of skewed.  I guess I associate it more with Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Jefferson Airplane (in their psychedelic phase), the Grateful Dead, Iron Butterfly;  in other words, if it's from the '60s and I don't really listen to it, I consider it hippie music  Smile

I don't consider bands like Hendrix, Cream, Santana, Ten Years After, The Who, Mountain etc. as hippie stuff.  I think of it as blues-based rock that was popular with everybody back in the day.  Of course I was only 3 in '67 so those are just assumptions of mine which may be totally wrong.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Hippy Music? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.