Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:25:17 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I killed my poor computer « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I killed my poor computer  (Read 4837 times)
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« on: July 08, 2007, 11:05:55 AM »

Last night we had a sudden and very violent thunderstorm.  My 9 yr old was on the computer when the lightning started, and she had just told me she was about to shut down when we had a lightning bolt hit about 50 yards from us.  The computer shut off and I haven't been able to reboot it since.  Everything else that was plugged in at the time is fine, including the other things sharing the surge protector bar at the time. 

I'm trying to get some advice from the manufacturer, but I was wondering if anyone here can advise me as well.  I've opened it up, and I can't find any visible damage, but then I'm no techie and although I understand what the parts are and what they do, I have no idea how to diagnose the problem here.  Any ideas?

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Menard
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 11:22:06 AM »

Perhaps this might be a silly idea, but unplug it from the surge protector, let it sit unplugged for a while, then plug it directly into the wall outlet, or into an outlet on the surge protector that you know works.

If this doesn't work, a good scenario would be that the power switch or (more likely) a diode on the power supply was knocked out. Most likely you would have to take it to a technician to have that verified.

Someone more tech savy (notice I didn't say more of a geek Lookingup) than me, like Trekgeezer or Ulthar, might be able to help.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:01:44 PM »

It could be the power supply or the motherboard.  It most probably is the power supply and you would have to get someone to verify that.  Unlike the more geeky of us who build our own and have parts laying around to troubleshoot with, you will need to take it someone who does.

Regrettably most computer manufacturers don't cover such things under their warranties (unless you purchased accident coverage with it). 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 01:04:36 PM »

Thanks Menard.  I did try the plugging into a different socket tactic already, and I also removed the power supply altogether to see if there were any breaker or reset switch that I could find.  I didn't have any luck, but I have noticed that when the system is plugged in, a small light appears on part of the motherboard.

The eMachines tech support wants me to disconnect everything from the motherboard and reconnect it a piece at a time to see if maybe one of the components has been shorted out, so I'm off to tackle that task now. 

Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 01:06:58 PM »

It could be the power supply or the motherboard.  It most probably is the power supply and you would have to get someone to verify that.  Unlike the more geeky of us who build our own and have parts laying around to troubleshoot with, you will need to take it someone who does.

Regrettably most computer manufacturers don't cover such things under their warranties (unless you purchased accident coverage with it). 

Thanks Geezer.  Their tech support suggested that too, and I priced some on NewEgg to see what that repair might run me.  I really hope it is the power supply and not the motherboard, since I've never attempted to install one before.  If it's the motherboard I'm just going to wait until I can buy a new system.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 06:06:27 PM »

I really hope it is the power supply and not the motherboard, since I've never attempted to install one before.  If it's the motherboard I'm just going to wait until I can buy a new system.

Replacing the mother board is not that hard, either - well, depending on the system.  You can do it.

Now, I HAVE seen systems that a mother board replacement also meant a Windows reinstall.  That sucks FAR MORE than replacing the board itself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 06:41:02 PM »

If it's the motherboard I'm just going to wait until I can buy a new system.

That's probably wise.  eMachine computers don't leave a lot of room for hardware upgrades/replacements and often times their components are interdependent and may lose functionality if you start switcherooing.

Replacing the mother board is not that hard, either - well, depending on the system.  You can do it.

It isn't hard, but it can require quite a bit of patience.  Think bank heist films, specifically robbers going over the blueprints.  It's a lot like that.  You get a map that contains everything from fan plugs to RAID switches and you have to study it, learn it, love it, know it, so that you can reconnect everything before the cops respond.  Depending on the motherboard it may beep some secret codes at you.  Typically there's another guide to determine the meaning.  Beep Beep.  What is it boy?  Beep Beep Beep.  IDE failure? Beep Blip Beep Blip Blip.  Oh.  Beep.

If it comes down to this, just be sure to set the kids in another room so you can freely scream obscenities and throw things.

++josh;
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:31:40 PM »

eMachine computers don't leave a lot of room for hardware upgrades/replacements and often times their components are interdependent and may lose functionality if you start switcherooing.[/quote}

Actually, one of the reasons I keep buying eMachines is because they're very easy to modify.  There's much more room inside the cases of the E's I've bought than inside the Dell and HP systems I've owned.  I've replaced the disc drives, the hard drives, the memory and video cards etc. and never had an issue with interdependency.

I just don't know if I have the patience to replace the motherboard!  And right now I don't know any geeks I could call upon, and I'm not about to take it to the big box stores after all of the bad service stories I've read and heard.  So I really REALLY hope it's just the power supply.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 09:13:50 PM »

I've replaced the disc drives, the hard drives, the memory and video cards etc. and never had an issue with interdependency.

If you've done all that, replacing a mobo is not hard.  The new board will come with a book, anyway (or should   Lookingup ).  Really, there's not that much to it, especially if you've got some experience replacing hardware.  The only thing not explicitly on your list of 'have dones' is CPU....follow a few guidelines, and that's not that hard, either.

Your call, though, of course.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 10:42:58 PM »

I'm just not sure....the other components are easy to install, but the motherboard has so many small important looking pieces.  If I really had to I guess I could give it a shot, I'm the person in my household who always gets called upon to assemble whatever needs it and I do know how to read schematics and diagrams.  But I really hope it's just the PSU.

I haven't had to change out a CPU yet.  And I really don't want to replace this system, because I've made some very effective upgrades in the past year and it was running great.  This laptop I'm using right now is a kiddie toy compared to how well mine ran, and even my 9 yr old is complaining about how slow games are on this. 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I killed my poor computer « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.