Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:41:35 AM
714147 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Frankenstein Conquers the World « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Frankenstein Conquers the World  (Read 2699 times)
Scott
« on: April 08, 2001, 08:04:57 AM »

Well.... This film was ok, TOHO made it, I liked the beginning with the labratory scenes and the story of Frankenstein then the boy becoming a monster wasn't that great. The best scene is when he stops the boat in the harbor, the japanese girls, and the famous TOHO music. How about those youth dance scenes?
The 50 ft Frankenstein monster running around the country side was wacky and the other creature fights were the worst.  A must see for anyone who likes TOHO films, even if its one of their worst. I taped it from AMC.
Chris K.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2001, 11:45:49 AM »

I love this movie. I remember when I was 13, I was searching for this film. A year later it turned up on cable when I was in St. Louis so I taped it. And I was not dissapointed. I may be a Toho film fan, but FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD was their best. And the monster Baragon is still my favorite.

I don't know why this film is not available on video. It recieved release through American International Pictures and UPA Productions of America. And since UPA is a division of Paramount then FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD should have been released on video. Oh well, at least I still have my TV copy.
Scott
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2001, 11:47:32 AM »

It is a must see.
Squishy
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2001, 03:57:50 PM »

Baragon returns! Following "Godzilla x Megaguiras"--still slated for US release theatrically or to video this summer (I hope)--Baragon teams up with (get this) Mothra and King Ghidorah (!!!!) against an incredibly evil Godzilla in "Godzilla-Mothra-King Ghidorah: Daikaiju Soukougeki." Directed by the fella behind the new "Gamera" trilogy. Commence salivating. (Heyyy--Baragon didn't get a piece of the title! Whazzupwiddat!)

FCTW is one of the few movies that actually has the rumored alternate ending--and the American ending is better, amazingly. In the Japanese original, Frank stands over the vanquished Baragon and everyone's wondering what to do next when, suddenly, a GIANT OCTOPUS rises from the bay without explanation, attacks Frank, and drags him away into the sea after a brief struggle--leaving everyone, onscreen and in the audience, saying "...what the hell?"
Scott
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2001, 06:50:28 PM »

Is that true Squishy? Sounds to wacky to be true.
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2001, 03:49:45 AM »

I kid you not. C'mon folks, back me up here. Surely Andrew's seen it...I wish I had a copy in my hands, but I HAVE found a still from the original ending!

http://www.godzilla.stopklatka.pl/Conguer1.htm  (Watch the spelling! Non-English Non-Japanese site.)

Lookit the size of that thing!

Side Note on "Godzilla-Mothra-King Ghidorah:" Baragon, Mothra, and King G are, this time around, all deities summoned to defend Japan from Godzilla, who, this time around, is some kind of demonic force brought to life by the horrors of warfare. It seems that starting with "Godzilla 2000" the G-flicks are going to be continuity free, except in that they all are related to the original "Godzilla."

I fear Mothra's little girls may not make an appearance this time. Well, they'd have to do songs for Barry and Giddy too,  wouldn't they? Baragon's would probably be a rehash of the King Seesar song, but Ghidorah...?!?
flangepart
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2001, 02:06:28 PM »

I saw that ending! The Late,Lamented Ozoner Video made it possable to see the Toho Films in their Subtitled glory, original music  and editing Intact! Ya gotta love it...Baragon is toast, and out of no where, this pretty realistic octopus wants a piece of the big F. Sushi with an attitude! hehehe. Ah, the days of my youth...where did they go?(sob).
Squishy
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2001, 04:13:19 PM »

Where did they go? You threw them away watching men in rubber monster suits pound the crud outta each other--just like me. Old fart. :)

Anyway, Video Daikaiju probably has the subbed version. They seem to have almost everything in their on-line catalog at http://videodaikaiju.cjb.net/  Relive your youth! Waste it all over again!
Andrew
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2001, 06:37:18 PM »

Funny enough, I'd never seen the edited American version until two or three years ago.  So, when people would ask me about an "alternate ending" with the giant octopus I would tell them that was the ending.

I have the Toho laserdisc of this and a dubbed version taped from AMC.  Perhaps it's time for me to start thinking about a review...

Andrew
Xenorama
Dedicated Viewer

define "bad", please

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 02:12:21 PM »

even better is the new DVD!

David

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama Message Board
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 07:28:51 PM »

I recently bought the DVD release of this, which includes both the Japanese version (FRANKENSTEIN VS. BARAGON) and the U.S. version (FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD).  Typical Toho nonsense . . . but you just gotta have it!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Frankenstein Conquers the World « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.