Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:42:40 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Becoming a Phillies Fan............... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Becoming a Phillies Fan...............  (Read 11331 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: July 10, 2007, 09:20:03 PM »

Went to a Philadelphi Phillies baseball game about a month ago and started to get back into the game a little for the first time in 25 years. Didn't want to commit to being a Phillies fan during the last month because I never liked the teams uniforms, players, or name. I was a big baseball fan in the 70' for many years and stopped watching due to the umpire strike in 1981 or 1982 that stopped the game for a lengthy time that Summer and I never looked back at the sport.

(Now I got a kick out of watching the Phillies go to the World Series in the 90's with characters like Mitch Williams and John Kruk, but would never call myself a fan. )

Again since going to a live game this Summer I started following the Phillies broadcast and learning the names of the players and I have enjoyed watching them rise about 500 in the standings so far.

The clincher for me is the other night I was watching the game and it started raining during a game in Colorado and the grounds crew started bringing out the tarp to cover the infield when all of a sudden the winds pick up and with it the tarp and some of the grounds crew was trapped under the tarp and one dragged across the field. Well the Colorado Rockies had already gone in the dugout and the whole Phillies team came running out to help the grounds crew grabbing the tarp and throwing on sandbags. This is the true spirit of the game. I'm now a Phillies fan after that. That's real baseball the kind that I loved as a kid.  Here's the video of the storm and the Phillies team effort.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2C2IrUNvDho
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:25:00 PM by Scott » Logged

raj

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »

Scott, you do realize you're going to have to have an iron constitution to be a Phillies fan:  only 1 World Series title in 100+ years.

They'll break your heart.
Scott

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 02:33:15 PM »

When they return from the All Star break they are working on Philadelphia's 10,000 lost since 1883.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 05:49:37 PM »

Went to a Philadelphi Phillies baseball game about a month ago and started to get back into the game a little for the first time in 25 years.
Veteran's Stadium?  I'd seen the Phillies play there many times and always enjoyed that stadium. 

... stopped watching due to the umpire strike in 1981 or 1982 that stopped the game for a lengthy time that Summer and I never looked back at the sport.
I stopped watching baseball about 15 (?) years ago with the players' strike (it was the last possible year Don Mattingly might have played in the World Series).   I did not look back either. 

The clincher for me is the other night I was watching the game and it started raining during a game in Colorado and the grounds crew started bringing out the tarp to cover the infield when all of a sudden the winds pick up and with it the tarp and some of the grounds crew was trapped under the tarp and one dragged across the field. Well the Colorado Rockies had already gone in the dugout and the whole Phillies team came running out to help the grounds crew grabbing the tarp and throwing on sandbags. This is the true spirit of the game. I'm now a Phillies fan after that. That's real baseball the kind that I loved as a kid.  Here's the video of the storm and the Phillies team effort.
Thanks for posting the clip; you are so right that's team spirit!  One of the major turnoffs for me in all professional sports is the lack of "team spirit" but instead, corporate greed and interference, the big money, and arrogant player-celebrities.   

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Scott

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 08:27:29 PM »

Allhollowdays they have a new stadium now called Citizen Bank Park

http://www.citizensbank.com/ballpark/

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 10:05:52 PM »

Good for you man... They took my favorite pitcher last year.  I'm a huge Jamie Moyer fan.  He is a joy to watch, very tricky fellow.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 10:23:57 PM »

Allhollowdays they have a new stadium now called Citizen Bank Park
Thanks, you've jogged my memory.  As I'd said, haven't looked at a ball game in at least 15 years.  Is Veteran's stadium gone?  I think I saw concerts there in the 80s (and the Spectrum).  I'm in NJ, and remember Veteran's was super easy to get to and park at! 

ps. It's "Allhallowsday."   Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Menard
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:30:32 PM »

Allhollowdays...

Scott's spelling is notoriously...uh...eccentric.
Scott

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »

Allhollowdays...

Scott's spelling is notoriously...uh...eccentric.
Question

Menard
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 09:30:42 PM »

Well, you do misspell and mistype (I think a good bit of it is the latter) a little more than the average bear; and sometimes in creative ways (whether you meant it or not). TongueOut
Scott

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 05:16:45 AM »

Well, you do misspell and mistype (I think a good bit of it is the latter) a little more than the average bear; and sometimes in creative ways (whether you meant it or not). TongueOut

Wink I forgot to put a  TeddyR after my  Question.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:19:30 AM by Scott » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 05:43:33 PM »

Scott, you do realize you're going to have to have an iron constitution to be a Phillies fan:  only 1 World Series title in 100+ years.

Phillies are great.  C'mon.

Citizens Bank Park.  The Phanatic.  10,000 losses.  We have it all. 

I do like the Phillies though. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 01:01:18 PM »

I am afraid, the nearest I have to come to Citizens Bnak Park is driving pass it on the freeway. But, I will say everything is right there. Next to the ballpark is Lincoln Financial Field, which hosts the AFL Philadelphia Eagles, and Wachovia Center, which hosts the NHL Philadelphia Flyers and the NBA Philadelphia 76ers.
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 02:07:18 PM »

Never ever ever underestimate a sports team, except the Detroit lions(these guys could lose a game even if they had the best players in the world on their team). A few years ago the twins were one of the worst in the leagues. Now there one of the best.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 10:13:10 PM »

I am afraid, the nearest I have to come to Citizens Bnak Park is driving pass it on the freeway. But, I will say everything is right there. Next to the ballpark is Lincoln Financial Field, which hosts the AFL Philadelphia Eagles, and Wachovia Center, which hosts the NHL Philadelphia Flyers and the NBA Philadelphia 76ers.
Citizens Bank Park is surprisingly nice. 

It's good the stadiums are together, but can prove to be troublesome if two are in use.  Traffic is bad enough, but you get two stadiums letting out, watch out.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Becoming a Phillies Fan............... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.