Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:56:48 AM
713397 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A REAL Ninja Turtle!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A REAL Ninja Turtle!!  (Read 6149 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: July 20, 2007, 11:17:54 PM »

I almost stepped on this big boy today, he was so perfectly concealed . . .

Don't worry, boys and girls, I safely released him after the picture was taken . . . although I've heard these big softshells are excellent eating!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 01:14:40 AM »

They are good eating, only thing is they taste just like turtle. Weird.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 07:52:55 AM »

I've only eaten turtle once.  It was turtle soup actually.  Wasn't too bad, which surprised the hell out of me.  It's still somewhat of a regular meal for a lot of people around here (coast of NC) despite the fact that it's against the law to eat a turtle.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:08:30 AM »

against the law to eat a turtle

What? Even snapper? That's odd why would they make something illegal to eat if it's not endangered and is a known traditional food by some? I mean I can see not allowing eating endangered animals but to outlaw it just because they think it's strange to eat? But you are in NC, I lived there for few years and remember them having some strange laws, like state run liquor sales with ABC stores, that's just weird.

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 09:30:28 AM »

I've only eaten turtle once.  It was turtle soup actually.  Wasn't too bad, which surprised the hell out of me.  It's still somewhat of a regular meal for a lot of people around here (coast of NC) despite the fact that it's against the law to eat a turtle.

Every year my dad and his buddies would go down to Ensenada, Baja California on a fishing trip, and each time he would bring back turtle meat that my mom would make soup out of, it's great stuff. I always felt a little guilty eating it, didn't stop me though.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 09:42:08 AM »

That was a big boy of a turtle.  I've never seen one of those in person, but I don't spend very much time wading in rivers in your neck of the woods.

I've had turtle a couple of times, both turtle soup and the meat (neck, legs) fried up like chicken.  Pretty darn good stuff.  These days, knowing that big snappers take so long to grow, I probably wouldn't do that.  Maybe alligator meat can fill in.  Those seem to be making a fine comeback and also boast more meat.

(The problem is that most of the time I look at something and wonder if I can eat it.)

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 09:47:57 AM »

It's eat or be eaten ...

From this ...

To this ...

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 01:34:14 PM »

Those alligator snappers get huge and live for centuries . . . I was reading a National Geographic article interviewing a turtle hunter in Louisiana who used to harvest them for turtle soup, he said as late as the 60's and 70's he would occasionally butcher a turtle and find a flint arrowhead imbedded in its shell . . . when you consider that flint points were phased out by Louisiana Indians around 1700, and that Indians weren't in the habit of shooting baby turtles, those beasts must have been well over 200 years old !! Buggedout

As for the softshells, my grandfather (who died before I was born) used to tell my Dad there was no finer meat . . . he said that a softshell turtle had seven different kinds of meat in it.  It makes me curious to try one, but I'd have no idea how to even start preparing it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 03:04:15 PM »

It makes me curious to try one, but I'd have no idea how to even start preparing it.

1. Put live turtle in a 55 gal. drum for 7 days, to allow it to empty it's system, it helps with the smell. Keep fresh water in the drum. Scoop out the feces with a net.

2. Using channel locks, hold him tight by the mouth with neck stretched out. Cut off his head.

3. Hang him upside down to bleed out for about 30 minutes.

4. Put him on his back, cut claws and feet off.

5. Cut skin around shell top and bottom, cut and pull skin away from shell on the front legs until skin is removed.

6. On the soft shell belly outside edge of shell, cut through soft shell contact points and remove.

7. Remove guts and innards.

8. Remove front legs, may need to twist to break the joint.

9. Cut and peel skin from back legs and neck.

10. Remove back legs and neck, again twisting to break joints.

11. Leave meat on bone, but try to remove as much fat as possible.

12. Wash with cold water, repeat until clean.

13. Freeze submerged in water or cook.

What don't know how to cook it either? Jeez ...
ok here ...

http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Category:Turtle_Recipes

or one of the ways it fixed around here ...

~ 1 turtle, cut into serving pieces
~ 1 stalk celery, chopped
~ 1 bell pepper, chopped
~ 1 medium onion, chopped
~ 1/2 tsp vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
~ salt and pepper
~ 1 bottle of your favorite bbq sauce (I prefer homemade or some of the local mom and pop brands)

Soak the turtle meat in salt water overnight or at least 1 hour.

In a large pot, place the turtle meat, celery, pepper, onion and vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover with water and bring to a boil.

Cover and simmer until meat is tender and ready to fall off the bone.

Remove meat and place into a baking dish. Pour the bbq sauce over the top. Bake at 375 degrees until sauce starts to bubble.

Reduce heat to 200 degrees and cook for 40 minutes. Baste often.

edit: PC Disclaimer, make sure you're not eating a endangered or threatened turtle.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:08:14 PM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:04:55 AM »

Buggedout

1 turtle, cut into serving pieces.............. TeddyR

Karma, Cheeze: I have eaten crocodile steaks (not bad) and have had a bite out of a python (not the other way around) but I don't think that I could eat a turtle, as good eating as you make it sound.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 04:09:32 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A REAL Ninja Turtle!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.