Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:23:40 PM
712918 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Java Security Hole - Update your computer! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Java Security Hole - Update your computer!  (Read 10611 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: July 14, 2007, 06:13:59 AM »

Chances are high that you have version of Sun Java on your computer, since many websites use Javascript and Java.  A serious security hole has been found that affects older versions:

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/security/0,39044215,62028389,00.htm
http://www.auscert.org.au/render.html?it=7664

The security hole is serious, in that a malicious Java script could give itself privileges to do what it wants (read or delete files, run programs).  This includes bad websites! 

Java Runtime Environment 5, Update 10 (and earlier) and Java Runtime Environment 6 are vulnerable.

To patch your computer (Windows Update will not fix this flaw), I suggest the following:
- Open your computer's control panel and go to "Add/Remove Programs."
- Check the version(s) of Java that are installed
- If you have any of the following, remove (uninstall) them:
     * JDK and JRE 6
     * JDK and JRE 5.0 Update 10 and earlier
     * SDK and JRE 1.4.2_14 and earlier
     * SDK and JRE 1.3.1_20 and earlier
    (I always uninstall all older versions of Java before upgrading to a new version.  From experience, that works best.)
- After uninstalling, reboot your computer if it prompts you to.
- Download a new version of the Java Runtime Environment from the Sun website and install it.  I am providing links below.

CRITICAL DIRECTIONS BELOW:

I have been using Java Runtime Environment 6 and went to Java Runtime Environment 6, Update 2 without any problems.  Here are links to download the latest version of Java.  You only need one of them and, unless you know that you need version 5, I recommend using 6, which is the first link:

Java Runtime Environment 6, Update 2:  (scroll down to "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u2" and download it - then install)
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Java Runtime Environment 5:  (scroll down to "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 12" and download it - then install)
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:25:03 AM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:19:29 AM »

Thanks for the heads up Andrew.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 12:58:14 PM »

I had been using Java Runtime Environment 6 (update 1) and was able to upgrade to Update 2.

In my control panel under Add, Remove Programs, there are a bunch of old updates for Java 5.0 and the Java Runtime Environment 6: update 1.

Can those be safely removed?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 05:26:07 AM by Ash » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »

I had been using Java Runtime Environment 6 (update 1) and was able to upgrade to Update 2.

In my control panel under Add, Remove Programs, there are a bunch of old updates for Java 5.0 and the Java Runtime Environment 6: update 1.

Can those all be safely removed?

Yes, though I have always done the uninstall before installing the new version.  I have seen it done afterwards with no ill effects.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:24:12 PM »

It always good to remove old versions of JAVA before you install new ones.  Since I do tech support for a living I've seen people with 6 versions of JAVA on their computer and it causes all kinds of problems.  I've also talked to people who refuse to remove all of them since they claim that it is not a JAVA problem but a problem with the site that I do support for.  Needless to say those people sometimes drive me nuts.
Ash

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 11:18:49 PM »

I still haven't removed them yet.
What kind of problems could arise by deleting them?
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 12:37:40 AM »

I still haven't removed them yet.
What kind of problems could arise by deleting them?

Well if you delete my Java, without replacing my Java; I guarantee that I'll be really cranky in the morning.

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 09:24:45 AM »

This update is very important, so I am responding to bump it up and make sure everybody notices it.

In my experience, not uninstalling older versions of Java can cause an application to use (or even request to use) the older version.  Not only could that lead to problems that are hard to figure out, but it means you could still be leaving your computer open to the security hole - though you also have the newer version installed.

Besides, Java is fair sized.  I think a full install is over 100 MB.  I'm sure that there are better things to do with that hard drive space than keep old versions floating around.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 07:24:07 PM »

Thanks for the help.
I was able to successfully uninstall all of the previous versions of Java with no problems.

And you weren't kidding about the space it freed up.
I had like six or seven previous versions and each one was over 100 MB.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 03:59:50 AM by Ash » Logged
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 09:19:28 PM »

This update is very important, so I am responding to bump it up and make sure everybody notices it.

In my experience, not uninstalling older versions of Java can cause an application to use (or even request to use) the older version.  Not only could that lead to problems that are hard to figure out, but it means you could still be leaving your computer open to the security hole - though you also have the newer version installed.

Besides, Java is fair sized.  I think a full install is over 100 MB.  I'm sure that there are better things to do with that hard drive space than keep old versions floating around.

You got that right Andrew, if you have a bunch of JAVA versions on your computer your taking up more space that need be.  With multiple versions your browser may have problems loading JAVA applications.  If you do have multiple version of JAVA on your computer, your browser (IE, Netscape, Firefox, etc.) usually knows what version of JAVA to selection, however there are times where it goes to select a version and kinda does a WTF? and is not able to pick one, and the applets fail to load because of that.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Java Security Hole - Update your computer! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.