Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:49:57 PM
714240 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  $55 bottle of WATER??? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: $55 bottle of WATER???  (Read 14877 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 15, 2007, 04:30:22 PM »

Okay, so there's actual WATER bars open, selling fancy waters from around the world.  One particular brand, Bling, will cost you $55 a bottle.

Let me restate that:

People are paying FIFTY-FIVE dollars for a bottle of f**king WATER.

According to states, people in the US spend more money on water than they do IPods and movie tickets.

WTF??!

With all the people griping and moaning about how bad the economy is, we can't be hurting too bad if we've got THAT much money to waste on something you can get cheap at any tap.

Now, I've been some places where the water was s**tty, but guess what?  Most of the time, you put it in the fridge, get it nice and chilled, and bam, you don't notice.  (Unless it's that Michigan water.. shudder)

But, hell, $30, $66 bucks a bottle? Man, I just can't wrap my head around wasting so damn much money...

I'm reminded of an episode of Penn and Teller's Bulls**t where they did an episode on bottle water.  For one segment, they took over a Posh New York restaurant and had a "waiter" bring out a "water list"-a fake printed menu of fancy waters from throughout the world.  They told the guests they were giving out samples of the different bottles.  So, the guests tried various "vintages" from around the world, insisting up and down the each had a different flavor and taste.

Well, guess what?  ALL of the water was from the SAME source-the garden hose in the back of the restaurant!

Maybe I should get into the bottled water business... I mean, get some water, make some bottles, put a fancy picture of some exotic forest lake (never mind most bottle water comes from plants), and viola!  Instant money!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 07:44:24 PM »

Just that one German drinking song/Aquafina commercial
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEc5foJ9plE
Now, the question is, what about that celebrity drinking water that crazed fanboys seem to want, does that come in gourmet styles now? How much for the bottle with John Wayne's spit in it? Laurence Olivier's backwash? TeddyR
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 07:47:12 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 11:52:05 PM »

I don't get spending $0.55 for bottle waters, better yet $55! We have good water where I live so buying bottle water is foolish and a waste of money. (My wife buys it, much to my dismay.)

I gave her a taste test one bottled and one from the tap, both chilled she had a 50/50 shot of getting it right and she didn't. She claims it just handy to have the bottle, to which I said, you know you can refill at the tap them and save money.

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:08:35 AM »

And I thought the $7 a glass water from a glacier in Norway they were pushing at the ultra-swanky restaurant in town was pushing it.

I drink between 60 and 90 ozs. of water per day at work. All from either the tap or the fountain, in a reused Coke, club soda, or tonic bottle because they hold so much and are disposable. My treat at lunch is usually a bottle of Propel vitamin water. They add some vitamins and make into sugar water to give it some flavor, good enough for me since I weaned off sodas and cut my caffine intake back as much as possible without giving it up entirely.

I've bought bottled water when I needed a drink and had no access to tap water, like when traveling or at fast food places, but water's water to me as long as it's clean and hopefully cold.

What about flouridation and the effect of drinking water without it over the long term, especially for kids of people who drink only filterd or bottled water? Do they have higher rates of cavities and tooth decay?

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 12:21:50 AM »

Yaddo, you seriously need a Dr. Pepper, man.  The elixir of life, honest it is.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 02:26:09 PM »

I'll buy a 1 liter bottle of water and when it's empty, I refill it and put it in the fridge.
If I'm at work, it goes into the freezer.

I'll reuse the same bottle for weeks before replacing it with a new one.  And I always make sure to keep it clean and washed.

One thing though, my mom recently sent an e-mail to me that said this:

---------------------------------------------

"Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as well.

Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast cancer.
Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies.
Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic."

Is that true?
I love taking my water out of the freezer and drinking it with ice crystals.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 02:27:56 PM by Ash » Logged
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 02:49:28 PM »

I'll buy a 1 liter bottle of water and when it's empty, I refill it and put it in the fridge.

I'll reuse the same bottle for weeks before replacing it with a new one.  And I always make sure to keep it clean and washed.

"Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as well.

Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic."

Is that true?

ACK!

I do the same thing.

I have a bottle I've been using for three weeks in the freezer right now.

So now I'm bombarding my body with Dioxins?

Loverly.  Drink 

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 03:09:44 PM »

Is that true?

i think its bs.  A health risk like this would come out in the news if it was real. 

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 08:29:37 PM »

Is that true?

i think its bs.  A health risk like this would come out in the news if it was real. 

Not always, I think a lot of times problems with things never come out right away usually after 2 to 4 years and after a decent amount of people die.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 07:43:46 PM »

Yaddo, you seriously need a Dr. Pepper, man.  The elixir of life, honest it is.

If you knew how long it took me to ween off of soft drinks, and then caffinated tea......but it looks like my spelling is getting worse without caffeine.

I'm surprised how much easier it is for me to get moving in the morning now that I'm on day shift and drink so little caffeine. Then I see all the coffee drinkers at work.

No idea on the freezing/dioxins front, I don't freeze my water that way, but plenty of people I work with do that with drinks.

I tend to use the same bottle for a while until it gets knocked around or too dirty. A guy at work gave me an insulated mug as some kind of "reward" for doing something pointless the other day. It holds more than the bottles I use but can't be sealed tight and stored anyway other than vertical, which is what I need most.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 05:29:04 AM »

I tend to use the same bottle for a while until it gets knocked around or too dirty. A guy at work gave me an insulated mug as some kind of "reward" for doing something pointless the other day. It holds more than the bottles I use but can't be sealed tight and stored anyway other than vertical, which is what I need most.

A thermos works great, though it seems like getting a good old steel thermos is harder than it used to be.  When I finally had to replace my small thermos, I looked all over for a Stanley, but the best I could find was at a sporting goods store and the freaking thing was pink (the heck?) so I ordered it from Amazon.

I know that they make sports bottle types too.  I think those are from Thermos brand.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 10:10:07 AM »

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp

Snopes claims the "Frozen Water Bottle Dioxin Poisoning" is an Urban Legend. This particular myth actually seems to be a couple of years old.

Now if they'll only stop putting spider eggs in my Bubble Yum,  ground up worm meat in my Big Mac, and Tabby cats in my Chop Suey...

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »

I love urban legends and hate them, it identifies my friends are that are truly gullible when they send me links to crap that they didn't take time to check out. Some of them are so silly I find it hard to believe they feel for them.
On the bottle water one, I had a friend send me that one with their personal warning in addition to the cut and paste one.

I replied with a simple question? What about the ice trays and freezer pops we grew up with, they're plastic? I'd say it to late for us we're already doomed, drink up.

Raffine

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 01:14:58 PM »

Red Fla-Vor-Ice gives you cancer and the green ones make you horny - so I've heard.

I'm not sure about the blue ones, but they are handy to keep in mind when some wise-ass claims there is no such thing as 'blue food'.

raj

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 11:40:58 AM »

I just use a Britta filter/pitcher.  I can definitely taste the difference, especially with tea, between the tap water and the filtered water.  I refuse to buy bottled water (except if I'm in a situation where I'm real thirsty and have no other option) -- apparently lots of it comes from municipal water supplies anyhow.  So people are spending bucko bucks just to get the same thing they could get from their tap.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  $55 bottle of WATER??? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.