Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:22:18 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So what are our hobbies (BESIDES B movies)???? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: So what are our hobbies (BESIDES B movies)????  (Read 29733 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 07:48:51 PM »

" Y'all don' lak me? Wull, fug yew!"

( Sorry...found it on the net...couldn't resist.... Twirling)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »

I also love to annoy my redneck neighbors that live across the street from me whenever possible.

I love to abuse bigots. My neighbor across the street flies a confederate flag (I do mean on a flagpole in his yard). He keeps his distance and is polite to me in person, but he is one backstabbing son-of-a-b***h.

My appearance throws bigots, and I just like to keep them guessing.

I am part Cherokee, but some people will dig to find out my heritage*. I have been called Saddam, Chico, and a few other nicknames, which is fine by me as it gives me plenty of opportunity to abuse them.

*What comes off bigotted about inquiring as to my heritage is that bigots will inquire about it to find out if I am...uh...'okay' and not one of those people. It doesn't bother me what they think my heritage is.

When my almost son-in-law's parents first met my daughter they asked her, much to his embarrassment, what race she was. She told them the truth, Scots, Irish, Seneca, Mohawk. They asked what the last 2 were and she explained that they were Iroquois nations, got a blank look, then said Native American. We don't have a lot of this in our blood, but we're quite proud of the little we have.
Shortly after this we were invited to meet the family for the first time, Ryan, the almost son-in-law explained to them that there would be bloodshed if any one asked what race I was. The invitation was withdrawn. 

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 09:10:20 PM »

To be honest with bad movies and movies in general, I really didn't pick up on stuff like this until I had my first surgery about 7 months ago.  Before that I was heavily into exercise and studying the martial arts.  I'm still not back to doing that since I had my second surgery about 3 months ago. 

Overall here some of my hobbies where they are currently on going on are hiatus.

1. Looking up and studying information on various types of liquors that exists.  I'm not an alcoholic I just like to learn about different things. 
2. Collection various weapons of my choosing.  I mainly collect martial arts weapons but I do have a few knives in my collection.
3. Huge video game fan (Xbox (Sadly my XBOX failed on my the other week), PS2 (That failed too, just don't have the money to replace), Gamecube, N64, PS1.
4 . Semi computer programming just making simple math programs and guessing games.
5. Model builder.  Been on hiatus for a while now, want to get back into it, just have not found the time.
6. Anime and magna, been enjoying this stuff since high school.
7. Reading.  Since I've been off work for 3 months I started reading again, so far I've read 3 books in 2 months and going to be finishing up another book here by the end of the month.
8. More or less into music.  Used to play the guitar but that was about 13 or 14 years since I've played it.
9 Animals, I love dogs and other various animals. 
10 collecting old magazines.  My karate instructor wrote a bunch of articles in the 1980's and I was looking for the magazines that he wrote them in. 

That's about it for me.

Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2007, 02:55:28 PM »

My hobbies are nothing like any else here, except maybe for Scott's fondness for religious texts.  My degree is in anthropology, and although I decided not to go to grad school I still do a lot of reading on ancient history and paleontology.  I also have done some writing on history subjects, and I have a couple of non-fiction children's books on history that I'm trying to get published.  I also have written some articles on paranormal and cryptozoology topics, and I did a paranormal-themed podcast for a short time, but I had a falling-out with the people who owned the host site and have since stopped.  A friend of mine is starting his own site and asked me if I'd like to revive the podcasts, but I haven't decided yet.

I used to do astrology charts for people, but I haven't been as into that for the past few years.  I still occasionally get talked into it, but it's a lot of work and lately I just haven't had time.

And since I hate to sit still, I also sew, crochet, knit, and can do some embroidery.  I love Halloween because it gives me an excuse to make costumes. Smile

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »

Hobbies ... hmmm well mainly I collected mint stamps, coins and paper money, generally a sound investment along with it's interesting. I do that more for the investment then anything.
I also in the winter months build 1/35 scale military models when the work slows down, and at the speed in which I build them I have enough models to last about 600 years as I like to detail them out and give them battle damage. I also do N scale trains and models, but haven't done much of it in years. Need to get back to it or sale it all. To much stuff!
But the one thing I do without fail is collect weird stuff, strange art, unusual items, unique pieces of furniture or things. I tend to be eclectic in taste design and style. I originally was going to be a artist, until I found out that starving part was true so I had to find a real job, I still have a art studio behind the house so I can engage in joy, some times I sell something, most of the time it's just the man space, but having spent many years working on and designing CNC's and robotic assembly lines I tinker a lot, and one of my next projects in a Tesla coil, likely to be a fall or winter thing to do.

Wortcov
Bad Movie Lover

the High Inquisitor of bath and wells

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2007, 08:13:45 PM »

1 playing wow
2 converting, painting and playing warhammer 40k
3 watching the Tv
4 reading books
5 looking for cool stuff on the internet
6 reading webcomics
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2007, 08:45:21 AM »

My hobbies are nothing like any else here, except maybe for Scott's fondness for religious texts.  My degree is in anthropology, and although I decided not to go to grad school I still do a lot of reading on ancient history and paleontology.  ...

Oh my.  Me too.   Buggedout  Although I am not sure why that should surprise me.

I collect books -  and read them (a bit slower than they accumulate). History, anthropology, biographies, cryptozoology, SF, fantasy, horror, mysteries, and anything to do with horses.
Have always been very interested in wildlife and plants - which helps a great deal now that my family is involved in Scouting. I can paddle a mean solo canoe and sail a small boat.
I draw and do calligraphy and have been known to embroider (crewel). Also messed about with macrame - which my 9 y.o. is asking me to teach her.
I bake and can garden produce (we have fruit trees and bushes) and make jellies and jams.  I cook because one has to - but baking is fun.  Breads, cakes, cookies, pies.  We do gingerbread houses every Christmas - the neighbourhood kids come and we go nuts with the bonbons.
Gardening and house plants, landscaping the property (which is a fancy way of saying moving trees about).
Most of my 'hobbies' revolve around horses, which is also my profession.  I ride, train and teach/coach equitation and jumping.  It is a life-long obsession.  So my 'spare time' is largely occupied with related activities: I read equestrian books,  try to help people on equestrian subjects on Internet bb's, design and build jumps (for my own use), and do odd bits of leather work.
One of these days we will be starting on renovating our century-old farmhouse.  That may pre-empt most other things for some time.
I also have a hubby and  three kids: they and their interests account for a lot of my 'extracurricular' activity too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:54:56 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2007, 09:03:07 AM »

which my 9 y.o. is asking me to teach her.

By all means teach her as within the next 3 to 4 years she'll reach the "phase" in which they barely speak to you for the next 6 years or so.

Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2007, 01:27:29 PM »

Most of my 'hobbies' revolve around horses, which is also my profession.  I ride, train and teach/coach equitation and jumping.  It is a life-long obsession.  So my 'spare time' is largely occupied with related activities: I read equestrian books,  try to help people on equestrian subjects on Internet bb's, design and build jumps (for my own use), and do odd bits of leather work.
One of these days we will be starting on renovating our century-old farmhouse.  That may pre-empt most other things for some time.
I also have a hubby and  three kids: they and their interests account for a lot of my 'extracurricular' activity too.

I used to ride also, although at this time I couldn't afford to have horses of my own.  I had a wonderful quarter horse whom I showed on the 4-H circuit, mostly in Western classes, and I really miss those days. 

As much as I love cats, horses and dogs are infinitely more rewarding to work with, and teaching others how to interact with them earns you karma from me.   Smile

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2007, 04:20:09 PM »

Thanks Snivelly! You'll ride again; once you're 'bit' it's an incurable disease, I swear.

I am a 4H alumnus too and my 12 y.o. joined for the first time this year.  Those were the days - it was more fun when I was doing it myself!

And I hear you CheezeFlixz: we're making the most of present days - I for one am not looking forward to the bumpy ride ahead.  Lookingup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2007, 10:41:37 PM »

Mine are in no particular order.
Playing videogames
Fishing
Collecting military stuff. Which ranges from uniforms and weapons to helmets and gasmasks almost anything goes.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2007, 11:55:15 PM »

My wife would probably say that I am a man of 1000 hobbies.  Right now, I am mostly into sailing, which involves its share of woodworking, ropework, canvaswork and the like.  i've build one boat and counting that one, currently own three.  Scott, and others who want to travel, get a sailboat and see the world!!  (Check out SailFar - Small Boats, Long Distances)

Other things I really enjoy include:

camping
fishing
hiking/backpacking
rock climbing/alpine style mountain climbing
hunting
reloading/shooting
model building (currently in progress a very detailed model of the USS Constitution), mostly war planes, old cars and war ships; big into rockets when I was a kid
wood working

I do occasionally enjoy yardwork - especially if it's something that makes the place look a little nicer.

A read voraciously; in the past, it was almost all fiction (spy thrillers, horror, crime thrillers), but now mostly non-fiction with an emphasis on war history and adventure tales

Sometimes, I do write computer programs for fun; I have a few projects that I tinker with from time to time more out of enjoyment than "for work."

I also have found I enjoy writing books.  I've published one and now have a couple in the works in various stages of completion.

I have a 2 yo son and a 4 yo daughter, so they get much of my time these days.  So, I guess I should say I also enjoy singing "ABC" and "Itsy Bitsy Spider" as well as coloring, wrastlin on the floor and saying "get OUT of that cabinet NOW."   TeddyR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 12:03:47 AM »

but now mostly non-fiction with an emphasis on war history and adventure tales

For adventure tales check out Bill Bryson if you haven't already they are a riot.

Bill Bryson on Amazon

Oh and enjoy the kids while they are young, they'll be grown before you know it.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2007, 12:17:55 AM »

This is one that has recently captured my imagination:  Into the Light.

A couple and their three small children sail a 35 ft boat to Iceland, winter there, then sail to Norway and winter there.  The following summer, they venture north to Spitzbergen and head as far north as they can go.

My A-30 is tugging at her mooring lines, screaming for a trip like that.   Wink

Oh and enjoy the kids while they are young, they'll be grown before you know it.

Absolutely.  My daughter turns 5 next week and I cannot believe it.  Seems like only yesterday I was holding her for the first time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2007, 01:18:30 AM »

Looks interesting might have to give it a look. I've been reading books on Nelson's Navy here lately. The next up is a book called Jack Nastyface (William Robinson's pseudonym) which are the memoirs of the life as a midshipmen in Nelson's Navy and from what I know about it, it sucked. It was written to bring change to the treatment and life of sailors.   

The guy (Bill Bryson) I listed, writes travel adventure books and puts a humorous tone to it. One of my favorites is "A Walk in the Wood" where decides to hike the 2100 mile Appalachian Trail as a 40+ out of shape slightly pudgy guy, I died laughing because I've done it, damn near killed me and for some stupid reason want to do it again.
"The Lost Continent" he re-created the road trips of his childhood; which if you've ever got stuck in a car on a cross country trip you can relate to it.
He has a number of books out and they are a quick read and so far I haven't found a bad one.   

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So what are our hobbies (BESIDES B movies)???? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.