Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:59:59 AM
713403 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So what are our hobbies (BESIDES B movies)???? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: So what are our hobbies (BESIDES B movies)????  (Read 29747 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2007, 07:24:48 AM »

Looks interesting might have to give it a look. I've been reading books on Nelson's Navy here lately. The next up is a book called Jack Nastyface (William Robinson's pseudonym) which are the memoirs of the life as a midshipmen in Nelson's Navy and from what I know about it, it sucked. It was written to bring change to the treatment and life of sailors.   

I read a lot of sailing history, too.  I think I've read exerpts from this book, but not the whole thing.

If true sea stories is what you are after, Nathaniel Philbrick's extremely well researched books are hard to beat.  Sea of Glory was excellent, and In the Heart of the Sea gets mentioned on just about every sailing forum I've seen that has a book topic.  Alfred Lansing's Endurance is considered to be the best account of Shackleton's voyage.

The guy (Bill Bryson) I listed, writes travel adventure books and puts a humorous tone to it. One of my favorites is "A Walk in the Wood" where decides to hike the 2100 mile Appalachian Trail as a 40+ out of shape slightly pudgy guy, I died laughing because I've done it, damn near killed me and for some stupid reason want to do it again.
"The Lost Continent" he re-created the road trips of his childhood; which if you've ever got stuck in a car on a cross country trip you can relate to it.
He has a number of books out and they are a quick read and so far I haven't found a bad one.   

I'll have to check his books out.  They sound interesting.

So, you've through-hiked the AT?  One of the pastors at my church has done the whole AT in two segments.  I've done sections in GA and NC (I grew up not too far from Standing Indian; in fact, we were just standing on top of Albert Mtn about two weeks ago  :)  ).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2007, 08:59:51 AM »

I read a lot of sailing history, too.  I think I've read exerpts from this book, but not the whole thing.

If true sea stories is what you are after, Nathaniel Philbrick's extremely well researched books are hard to beat.  Sea of Glory was excellent, and In the Heart of the Sea gets mentioned on just about every sailing forum I've seen that has a book topic.  Alfred Lansing's Endurance is considered to be the best account of Shackleton's voyage.

I'll look those up, I also have in the 'to be read' pile is "Steering to Glory: A Day in the Life of a Ship of the Line" I take my sperts as to what history I'm reading, from Roman history to Sea Stories to the WWII and anything else.

So, you've through-hiked the AT?  One of the pastors at my church has done the whole AT in two segments.  I've done sections in GA and NC (I grew up not too far from Standing Indian; in fact, we were just standing on top of Albert Mtn about two weeks ago  :)  ).

I don't know if you could call it hiking or practice for a heart attack, a buddy and myself did a south-bound a few years ago. He and I both took  a little over 4 months hiking it and I had the nerve to call myself in shape. Section hike would be much easier, but it takes to long and I don't exactly live next to it. And while I've even more out of shape now I'd like to do it again. Perhaps start in early March in Ga and do a North Bound, being old and fatter now I should make it to Maine by Oct.  But with a business, kids, family and all that stuff not sure I can't do it anytime soon, so I hike the trails at the LBL on occasion they're are a few 100 miles of trails there. I keep claiming it's training to do the AT again. My wife says I'll have a heart attack before I get out of the parking lot if I was to try it now, and she might be right.  Buggedout It's a long shot that I'll do it again, but I read stories of folks in there 70' and 80's doing it, so there is the slight glimmer of hope I'll do it again as that gives me about 35 more years to do it.

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2007, 09:57:40 AM »

Looks interesting might have to give it a look. I've been reading books on Nelson's Navy here lately. The next up is a book called Jack Nastyface (William Robinson's pseudonym) which are the memoirs of the life as a midshipmen in Nelson's Navy and from what I know about it, it sucked. It was written to bring change to the treatment and life of sailors.   

The guy (Bill Bryson) I listed, writes travel adventure books and puts a humorous tone to it. One of my favorites is "A Walk in the Wood" where decides to hike the 2100 mile Appalachian Trail as a 40+ out of shape slightly pudgy guy, I died laughing because I've done it, damn near killed me and for some stupid reason want to do it again.
"The Lost Continent" he re-created the road trips of his childhood; which if you've ever got stuck in a car on a cross country trip you can relate to it.
He has a number of books out and they are a quick read and so far I haven't found a bad one.   

I'll have to check his books out.  They sound interesting.

When my grandfather was still alive he hiked the AT along with My one aunt's ex husband (at the he was her husband).  My grandfather at the time was I would say in his 60's.
TheFilmFiend
Dedicated Viewer

Uncerimonious rice pudding eater.

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2007, 10:10:45 AM »

Hobbies? I've got 'em.

1. When I'm not writing about movies, I'm writing stories. Just finished my second book -- a collection of short stories -- to follow-up the novel I published a few years back.

2. The wife and I spend way too much time playing RPGs. It's kind of sad, actually. Ultima Online is one of our favorites.

3. I'm a huge fan of unusual roadside attractions. Road trips happen quite frequently.

4. Books consume a large portion of my free time, as well. I'm a voracious reader.

Between work and B-movies, that's really all I have time for.

The Film Fiend - Cinematic scribblings to stimulate your pineal gland.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »

1)  From mid-2000 until January of this year, I made sassy pin-back buttons, stickers, and t-shirts, with the help of my best friend.  The profits were invested into gay/civil rights campaigns, cancer research, AIDS research. 
  Thumbup  Always glad to hear of efforts to improve the human lot. 

2)  I am an avid reader.  I try to read a book a week.  ... if I fared better in the sun I may well have become a paleontologist. 
Don't read books much anymore, I'm ashamed to admit.  Hmmm...got burned today walking on the boardwalk in Asbury Park, New Jersey...I am 100% American of Irish extraction.   TeddyR

3)  I dabble in everything creative.  I paint, I sew, I write, I play music, I shoot movies.
I couldn't sew a button on to save my life. 

I'm 32 and have played music hardcore since I was 6. I can play classical piano, bass, saxophone and drums. 
I also love to read, horror novels especially. 
Fantastic!  I miss playing the piano; I was good, but my Dad wasn't so very...when I read novels I favored horror; now I love short stories, and collect ghost story volumes.  One of my favorite books is a science fiction collection THE SCIENCE FICTION HALL OF FAME VOL. 1 (the other volumes are good too) but this first volume includes at least most of the classic stories you may remember having ever made an impression...there isn't a dud!!! 

Wish I could do that DodgingGrunge. I'm a little tied up here in New Jersey for the next 11 years or till I can figure a way out.  Smile

Born and bred, myself, and live here yet, in the garden state.   TeddyR

I also collect movie monster mags from the 60's and early 70's. I have 39 Famous Monsters of Filmland (the oldest being from 1961-#13), 7 Monster World ( FM's alter-ego mag from the mid 60's), 2 Mad Monsters,2 Horror Monsters,9 Castle of Frankenstein,1 Modern Monsters,1 Journal of Frankenstein from 1959,and 1 Monster Times. Also assorted Creepy,Eerie,Vampirella,and Spirit mags,some Sgt.Fury comic books,and some odd and ends mags (old Life,Time and oddball stuff.)

I have most of the first 50 issues (but not all) of CREEPY and EERIE, and at least a few cool FAMOUS MONSTERS...I have many back issues of magazines too...hmm do I collect monsters? 

When my almost son-in-law's parents first met my daughter they asked her, much to his embarrassment, what race she was. She told them the truth, Scots, Irish, Seneca, Mohawk. They asked what the last 2 were and she explained that they were Iroquois nations, got a blank look, then said Native American. We don't have a lot of this in our blood, but we're quite proud of the little we have.
Shortly after this we were invited to meet the family for the first time, Ryan, the almost son-in-law explained to them that there would be bloodshed if any one asked what race I was. The invitation was withdrawn. 
That sounds like ashame; people sure can be stupid.  I think you're cool, Dennis, and a lot of fun!  (I will definitely eat blueberries, yogurt on cornbread now!) 

I used to ride also, although at this time I couldn't afford to have horses of my own.  I had a wonderful quarter horse whom I showed on the 4-H circuit, mostly in Western classes, and I really miss those days. 

As much as I love cats, horses and dogs are infinitely more rewarding to work with, and teaching others how to interact with them earns you karma from me.   Smile
I have two dogs and a cat who is 14 years old, Francine, who requires treatment everyday for her kidney failure.  My sister-in-law is a big animal rights advocate, has two dogs, 18? cats and two horses (rejected by former owners and desperately in need of adoption that she leapt at the chance to take, there were three, but one passed away) I am fortunate to come from a family of animal lovers! 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:48:27 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2007, 06:38:18 AM »

Would love to get this one!

Got this one a few weeks back! At a flea market!

Latley I've been on a Sgt.Fury and his Howling Commandos kick.  I must be reverting back to childhood early. Also have been hunting up some of the Monsters on the Prowl-type comics.....I'm bidding on a 2001 Jack Kirby comic right now...it looks groovy!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2007, 08:59:46 AM »

Would love to get this one!

Well here ...
Sgt Fury#1

3 days left and it's about $12 on ebay.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2007, 06:27:26 PM »

[/quote]

Well here ...
Sgt Fury#1

3 days left and it's about $12 on ebay.
[/quote]

Ah! If only I could! My pocketbook is a little light...and I'm sure it will jump high....someday.....! Thanks anyway!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2007, 12:07:50 PM »

Used to be huge into collecting comic books, magazines like Science Fiction Age, Sci-Fi, Wizard and Hero not to mention Pro Wrestling magazines like Pro Wrestling Illustrated, Wrestling's Main Event and Wrestling Eye. Actually I recently subscribed online to Cult Movies Magazine and Rue Morgue Magazine so I guess that bug is still not completely out of my system. That said, I'd like to trade or sell most of my current collection of comics and magazines (with some exceptions) if only the shipping rates here in Newfoundland weren't so dang pricey.

I also seem to find myself picking up more CDs nowadays although it's usually "Best Of"s. They seem to be getting cheaper all the time.

I'm also still very much into pro wrestling as an hobby although I prefer the wrestling of yesteryear as since they've done away with kayfabe, wrestling often feels like a joke nowadays...like something silly to be laughed at. I always preferred the old time more serious approach when they acted as though it were all real.  Still watch the new stuff but greatly prefer it from the 1980s and before. I often do trade for VHS tapes from those eras.

I also tend to like anything that involves Bigfoot, UFOs, ghosts, any other of the real big mysteries of life.

I also have a bit of a video game collection although truthfully I rarely play video games at all. And I have quite a few books although I rarely find the time to read either. The vast majority of my time is taken up with cult and classic movies which are certainly nothing strange to those who frequent this site .  Movies one might refer to as "Drive-In Classics" tend to be my main faves...whether it be about Horror, Sci-Fi, Juvenile Deliquencey, Girls in Prison, Kung Fu, Blaxploitation, Hot Rods, whathaveyou.  Have an enormous DVD collection of this stuff, Mystery movies, British Comedy TV and more.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2007, 12:07:06 AM »

How exactly does one get started in working with sculpted/molded resins & epoxies?
I've been to several craft & hobby stores around town, & they have no idea what I'm talking about.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2007, 12:23:16 AM »

How exactly does one get started in working with sculpted/molded resins & epoxies?
I've been to several craft & hobby stores around town, & they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Check out this site and I think you'll find what you seek. As far as modeling and model making goes this is the place to get that info ... scratch building is what you want to look into, lots of info in resins.

http://modelgeek.kitmaker.net/

also ...

http://scratch.kitmaker.net/

and here ...

Mold Making and Resin Casting

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2007, 01:06:36 AM »

Check out this site and I think you'll find what you seek. As far as modeling and model making goes this is the place to get that info ... scratch building is what you want to look into, lots of info in resins.

http://modelgeek.kitmaker.net/

also ...

http://scratch.kitmaker.net/

and here ...

Mold Making and Resin Casting

Tanx
Y'know, this looks kinda like what my stepdad (a dentist) used to do for making crowns & dentures & whatnot.
maybe I should ask him.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2007, 08:17:36 AM »

Tanx
Y'know, this looks kinda like what my stepdad (a dentist) used to do for making crowns & dentures & whatnot.
maybe I should ask him.

That would be dental alginates, great stuff and I get the expired stuff from my dentist, still works great just not suppose to use it on people once it's expired. (However I know a lot of dentist that still use past the expiration date.)

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2007, 11:19:18 AM »

The stuff I use for scupting is Kneaditite, which is often called "Green Stuff."  There are at least 2 different kinds of it, but the stuff many mini sculpture's use is the green stuff.  It comes in a tube with two colors, blue and yellow.  You mix them together and it becomes a green putty that hardens after a while (couple of hours).

There are a couple of website's with examples.  I would Google "Kneaditite sculpting" or "Green Stuff sculpting" and see what pops up.  One hint if you play with it, keep your hands and tools wet.  It will not stick to something wet.  I have a huge bunch of steel tools and clay shapers (soft rubber tipped tools) too.

With green stuff you always work in layers.  That arm I made for my one "Carnifex" (the living tank monster for my army) is wire with green stuff on it.  Let harden.  Add some detail layers that show through.  Let harden.  Add final carapace layer.  Let harden.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2007, 12:09:46 PM »

The only thing I don't like about epoxy putties like Kneaditite is the limit work time if you are going for something with detail. Coming from the old school I start with Plastaline clay, which is an oil based clay that's been around for 100's of years. Then make a negative mold and pour in beeswax to sculpt the detail work, you can either use the "lost wax method' or make a latex negative to pour in hydrocal which is a really hard plaster. This to can be worked for additional detail and takes paint well with a good primer.  It's a lot more work than Kneadititle style epoxies or Sculpey style polymer clay, granted the latter give you more work time as it has to be over cured. Either way and any way you do it, it's fun (most of the time).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So what are our hobbies (BESIDES B movies)???? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.