Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:54:26 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Holy Mountain (1973) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Holy Mountain (1973)  (Read 5982 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: September 26, 2007, 08:27:40 AM »

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN (1973) - Wow, this is better than EL TOPO (1971) in my opinion. Mexican film Directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky who was born in Chile. The film is probably the most bizarre film I've seen since ERASERHEAD (1977) and of course EL TOPO (1973). It displays lots of twisted mysticism which are really pointless, but watchable. The end message about reality is "ok" even if you don't agree. A lot of time and money was spent on this colorfull film. Big production for a 70's Mexican art film.

Thumbup Thumbup (9 out of 10 Stars) Not sure why EL TOPO is mentioned more than THE HOLY MOUNTAIN.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JyEIBdteBVQ

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 01:12:56 PM by Scott » Logged

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 02:39:02 PM »

That's some seriously bizarre s**t Scott.  The first time I heard of Jodorowsky was in relation to his purposed version of Dune.

Check out the website for it (I 've never been able to make all the was through it), it too is full of some bizarre ideas. It would have been much freakier than Lynch's version.

http://www.hotweird.com/jodorowsky/dunestory.html

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »

That trailer to THE HOLY MOUNTAIN barely gives you anything. It's much weirder than the trailer.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:51:51 PM »

I think that my favorite part might have been Christ getting drunk and waking up in the potato warehouse, only to find himself surrounded by hundreds of plaster replicas of himself, then freaking out and smashing them as he screams (boy, I have had hangovers like that).

He does stop and save one that he then carries through the streets of the city - until he meets the cadre of streetwalking nuns.  After that he eats the face off his likeness (because it is cookie dough) and sends the faceless shell drifting into the sky by attaching balloons to it.

The whole section with the Aztec horned toads civilization being attacked by the European Cane Toad invaders was also strange.

And, for those who think I am just screwing around and making stuff up - I am not, everything I described actually happens in the movie.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:58:33 PM »

Don't forget the part where Jesus embraces alchemy, the tarot and kaballah and then turns his s**t into gold.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Scott

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 01:09:06 PM »

Or the testicle hall of fame.  Buggedout

This film gets crazier as it goes along.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 01:14:43 PM by Scott » Logged

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:33:21 PM »

This film gets crazier as it goes along.

I'm not sure it was as fun for me.  Somewhere during the section when all the new characters are introduced, it flounders and gets really artsy boring during the search for the Holy Mountain.  The end just annoys me, because it is pure "look how clever this art film is" stuff.  I think that all the dialog might be part of the issue.  In the beginning (and almost all of "El Topo") Jodorowsky puts together bizarre scenes with little to no dialog.  As a result, the viewer actually starts to create a plot in their mind.  "Holy Mountain" spells too much out with all the talking.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 10:39:58 PM »

Guess artsy films can be that way. It gets a bit tedious I suppose, but I thought the people who represented the planets were pretty weird.

FANDO Y LIS is pretty far out also.

RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 12:41:06 PM »

My impression of Jodorowsky has always been that the guy is constant of awe of how profound he is with his movies and comics.  I've read interviews, old and new, which suggest that his ego is quite inflated.  He seemed to rein it in a bit with Santa Sangre so I'm wondering how King Shot is going to wind up.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Scott

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »

My impression of Jodorowsky has always been that the guy is constant of awe of how profound he is with his movies and comics.  I've read interviews, old and new, which suggest that his ego is quite inflated.  He seemed to rein it in a bit with Santa Sangre so I'm wondering how King Shot is going to wind up.

He has a new film? How about that. These directors never top what they did when younger.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Holy Mountain (1973) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.