Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:21:43 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  High Blood Pressure! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: High Blood Pressure!  (Read 8107 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 09:32:04 PM »

Here is my understanding of things about outpatient blood pressure management.

Your arteries mainly care about what the area under the curve is.

If your blood pressure is high only during brief episodes of time (ie, at doctors' visits, at the dentist) but are NOT high other times, that's not typically worth treating with medication.

If your blood pressure is high most of the time, that needs to be reduced.

Lifestyle changes, in all but the extreme cases, can reduce systolic BP by 5-7 points or so, diastolic slightly less.  If you drink programmer quantities of caffeine, elimination of that alone can reduce blood pressure quite a bit more than that.  =)  Many other factors influence blood pressure, and most of what causes hypertension is not understood by current science.  If you're really overweight, reduction of that can make some difference.  Some people are salt-sensitive with regard to hypertension, and some are not, but salt reduction is given by many as blanket advice for hypetension (though it's of dubious value in some cases).

If you're diabetic, your blood pressure should average <130 over <80.  If not diabetic, <140 over <80 (that's less than all those values, not equal to any of them or greater).

Consider getting a home monitor (ie, an Omron brand, or else look up on Consumer Reports or the like about brands) for your blood pressure and collecting data before you see your doctor.  Collect daily readings at varying times of the day, and write them down with times.  Get an automated cuff that reads at your arm level, not, I repeat, not your wrist or finger.  Bring that automated cuff with you to the doctor's office, and have its reading double-checked against his nurse's (or his, or her) reading.  Make sure your cuff isn't too tight; doublecheck the fit per its instructions.  If the cuff is too tight (if your arm is too big for it) your readings will be read as too high.   If you have a friend who can reliably take a blood pressure (was trained how to do it and is experienced in it), that is preferable to a machine.

Collect a few weeks of data and then bring those things to your doc.  It will be a much more useful visit that way, and your doc will be impressed with how you went to the big ol' internet and came to his office with common sense and good information, instead of lunacy and herbs.   BounceGiggle

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 10:08:25 AM »

I went to the free clinic here in town this morning and saw a doctor about my high blood pressure.
I'd never been to that clinic before and was expecting some run down place but it was actually very nice.
It's a newer building and all of the staff were very professional.
And the great thing was that I didn't have to pay a cent.

The nurse saw me first and took my BP.
From what I gather, the average BP reading is supposed to be something like 120 over 80. (not 100% sure on that)

Mine was something like 120 over 115!   Buggedout

I saw the doctor and she gave me a physical exam and asked me questions about my diet and general lifestyle.
The first thing she recommended was lifestyle change.  Getting out and exercising more etc...

She then prescribed to me a month's supply of Lisinopril. (an ACE inhibitor)
An interesting fact about the drug is that it is "derived from the venom of the jararaca, a Brazilian pit viper".

I have to take one pill a day and then go back to the clinic in 2 weeks to see how well the medication is working.

It's kind of scary being only 34 years old and having sky high blood pressure.
I'm definitely going to take her advice and start exercising more.
Maybe if I can dig up some extra cash, I'll buy a mountain bike and hit the local bike trails.   Smile
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:30:15 AM by Ash » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 10:18:19 AM »

The nurse saw me first and took my BP.
From what I gather, the average BP reading is supposed to be something like 110 over 80. (not 100% sure on that)

Mine was something like 120 over 115!   Buggedout

It's kind of scary being only 34 years old and having sky high blood pressure.
Your diastolic is quite high, but I don't think "sky high..."  I'm older than you, have stayed trim, I get good exercise, but I still take a wee white pill each morn.  Here's hoping the reading was just a fluke.   Thumbup

I know our Raffine will be fine.   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 11:28:35 AM »

Raffine,

Maybe your dentist just had a tee time soon and wanted to get out of there quick, so he lied to you to get you out of there.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 01:26:10 PM »

106/77/55 BPM. If I wasn't destined to be murdered I'd fuggin live forever.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 02:29:12 PM »

One of the guys I work with, Kev had worryingly high blood pressure. The medics gave him a monitor to wear that would sound an alarm whenever his BP was getting too high. Of course, we all done our best to wind Kev up and see if we could set the alarm off.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 03:33:43 PM »

i was so stressed out on monday, i actually had a normal person's  BP reading! scared the crap out of the pharmacist, who knows my normal reading roughly 25 points lower than regular people. it was fine today though.

don't EVEN...EVER!
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  High Blood Pressure! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.