Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:46:43 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Post your Top Ten favorite albums of all time. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Post your Top Ten favorite albums of all time.  (Read 22237 times)
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 01:52:40 PM »

Two albums killed by radio, music media etc.
Nirvana-Nevermind
Guns N Roses-Appetite For Destruction

A lot of the "classic" mid-nineties bands were overplayed on the radio and MTV because they simply didn't have very large volumes of work.  Alice in Chains, White Zombie, and (the first two albums by) Stone Temple Pilots were also very much victims of this.

Although the alternative to overplaying great songs is playing a myriad of insincere sound-alike songs from corporate-made bands.  I for one would rather listen to the same three Faith No More songs in a loop than suffer through Linkin Park, Disturbed, Cold and the like.  *shudder*

++josh;
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 12:02:22 AM »

1.DEAD KENNEDYS-Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegtables
Nirvana-In The Utero (to me a big "F*** you to people who wanted other Nevermind and got this)
Just who are the "rotting vegetables" I've often mused...
I thought In Utero was superior. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »

I completely agree.  Eno's contributions and the direction of the first era of Roxy Music made for much better music.  Though we wouldn't have to search very hard to find a music critic to disagree with us.  Avalon seems to top an awful lot of lists.
Yes, Avalon, does top a lot of lists, I have it, know it well from my clubbing days, but I've yet to warm up to whatever charm it may have I've overlooked. 

Quite a bit of my music collection is made up of music along these lines.  A lot of David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Rolling Stones, etc.  Are you a fan of Blur?  Park Life and Great Escape capture the same sort of British glam-pop sound quite well.
I had a lot of Bowie on vinyl, but the only one I felt necessary to keep was Lodger.  I remember when Low was released and it was not well received then and wound up in bargain bins for years.  Other than Changesone, it's the first BOWIE release I'd bought in many years (well, I too am a victim of having seen the "Glass Spider" tour live in the 80s).  Hmm I probably have Scary Monsters on CD too.  BLUR has been recommended to me before, now I know I should look into them.  I have had many laundry lists over the years, but the music itself guides me to what I pursue. 

Aside from the Flying Burrito Brothers and Sammy Davis JR, I have all the albums in your list.  I suspect there's quite a bit of overlap in our collections.  I love Beck's irritatingly experimental early work, as well as his abrupt downshift into Sea Change, but I rarely listen to Odelay.

Can't stress enough giving those two you're missing a listen, assuming you like just plain great music.  Can you handle Country at all?  THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS Gilded Palace Of Sin will open your mind if you can't!  Perhaps some of BECK's work is "irritatingly experimental" (when I uploaded Odelay I must admit I skipped "High 5 Rock The Catskills") but I often listen to songs like "Hotwax," "Novacane," "Jack-Ass," "Sissyneck," and "Readymade."  BECK is a great songwriter (as you obviously noticed with Sea Change) and much more than a tape wiz or sampling savant. 

Captain Beefheart is great.  I broke down and bought a huge box set a few years back.  It didn't disappoint. 
Did it include Trout Mask Replica?  Man, that record is tough, but I think I'm ready to tackle it one more time... the first time I heard it was about 30 years ago and I was appalled!  I hunted down a used CD of Shiny Beast.  I really love Safe As Milk.

DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 08:01:36 PM »

BLUR has been recommended to me before, now I know I should look into them.  I have had many laundry lists over the years, but the music itself guides me to what I pursue. 
Start with Great Escape.  I think you'll really enjoy it.  Another contemporary band along these lines is Super Furry Animals, though with a little more electronic tinkering.  If you haven't heard anything by them, check out Radiator or Guerrilla.  They also have an album entirely in Welsh called Mwng, which is quite enjoyable.

Can't stress enough giving those two you're missing a listen, assuming you like just plain great music.  Can you handle Country at all?  THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS Gilded Palace Of Sin will open your mind if you can't!

I more than tolerate country, I love it.  Good country, that is.  I don't much care for the contemporary pop country espoused by most radio stations these days.  Jolie Holland was #2 in my top 10 (though she's also kind of folky).   TeddyR  I've already queued Flying Burritos to my Amazon list, so I'll pick that up next month.  I'll let you know what I think.  As for the Sammy Davis, JR title in your list, I own various compilations, just not that particular album.  Frank Sinatra is my favorite Rat Pack singer/actor though, largely due to being subjected to my godfather's drunken, improv crooning sessions as a kid.  TeddyR

Did it include Trout Mask Replica?  Man, that record is tough, but I think I'm ready to tackle it one more time... the first time I heard it was about 30 years ago and I was appalled!  I hunted down a used CD of Shiny Beast.  I really love Safe As Milk.

I actually misspoke.  It is an anthology, not a box set, called The Dust Blows Forward.  Strangely, it doesn't actually include the eponymous song, which is from Trout Mask.  But among its 45 tracks, some are from TroutElla Guru, Moonlight on Vermont, China Pig, My Human Gets Me Blues, and Sugar N Spikes.  A friend of mine used to play Trout Mask Replica at his parties.  From what little I remember, it was pretty irritating.

Though nothing could ever hold a candle to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.  Enticed by the "remastered" sticker, I bought it without any prior knowledge of the album.  Oops.  Hatred

++josh;
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 08:09:47 PM »

In no particular order (and this could certainly change as I discover more from some of these bands):

The Grapes of Wrath: Now and Again
R.E.M.: Lifes Rich Pageant
Midnight Oil: Diesel and Dust
U2: The Joshua Tree
Skydiggers: Skydiggers
Spirit of the West: Go Figure
The Clash: London Calling
The Ramones: Rocket to Russia
The Misfits: Walk Among Us
FiftyFour40: Sweeter Things: A Compilation

Honorable Mentions:

Blue Oyster Cult: Heaven Forbid
Alternative NRG
Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man
I'm Your Fan: The Songs of Leonard Cohen by...
R.E.M.: Automatic For the People
The Skydiggers: Road Radio
Tom Petty: Wildflowers
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Into the Great Wide Open

I'm aware this is a pretty unusual mix but these are all albums I can listen to over and over and over again...always enjoyable to me on a very personal level. Four Canadian bands make my list, four of the most underrated groups ever IMO (Skydiggers, Spirit of the West, Grapes of Wrath and Fiftyfour40).

« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:13:01 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 08:35:38 PM »

In no particular order (and this could certainly change as I discover more from some of these bands):
R.E.M.: Lifes Rich Pageant
Midnight Oil: Diesel and Dust
U2: The Joshua Tree
The Clash: London Calling
The Ramones: Rocket to Russia
The Misfits: Walk Among Us
Honorable Mentions:
Blue Oyster Cult: Heaven Forbid
Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man
R.E.M.: Automatic For the People
The Skydiggers: Road Radio
Tom Petty: Wildflowers
I'm aware this is a pretty unusual mix but these are all albums I can listen to over and over and over again...always enjoyable to me on a very personal level. Four Canadian bands make my list, four of the most underrated groups ever IMO (Skydiggers, Spirit of the West, Grapes of Wrath and Fiftyfour40).

I think it is great you espouse support for Canadian bands, here in the USA, we'd be thinking local bands... but I understand the spirit.  Life's Rich Pageant was considered as at least an honorable mention and would certainly make my top 30.   Rocket To Russia and THE RAMONES first were also considered (albeit briefly).  I had to seriously consider rejecting London Calling from my list...saw U2 at Giants Stadium that year and MIDNIGHT OIL that year at the Spectrum in Philadelphia.  MIDNIGHT OIL was hot.  

I'm really glad to see someone still selecting LEONARD COHEN!   Thumbup

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 09:06:06 PM »

Start with Great Escape.  I think you'll really enjoy it. 
Will do. 
I more than tolerate country, I love it.  Good country, that is.  I don't much care for the contemporary pop country espoused by most radio stations these days.  I've already queued Flying Burritos to my Amazon list, so I'll pick that up next month. 
Mmm...there is a collection available as an import thru Amazon (enemy of the people) that includes the BURRITO BROS second album, Burrito Deluxe at a good  price.  I love the second album and its way underrated; includes "Wild Horses" before released by the STONES. 
http://www.amazon.com/Gilded-Palace-Sin-Burrito-Deluxe/dp/B000024R2P/ref=cm_cr-mr-img/102-8935206-2998565
As for Country Music, what happened???  It's even crappier than the current Pop on the radio.  HANK WILLIAMS, MERLE HAGGARD, WILLIE NELSON, WAYLON JENNINGS, DOLLY PARTON, BOBBIE GENTRY, so much of it now is crap...hmm...

As for the Sammy Davis, JR title in your list, I own various compilations, just not that particular album.  Frank Sinatra is my favorite Rat Pack singer/actor though, largely due to being subjected to my godfather's drunken, improv crooning sessions as a kid.  TeddyR

This record is not about the rat pack; you have to hear it to believe it.  It is just Sammy and Laurindo's guitar and maybe the greatest songs ever written.  The record owes perhaps a certain debt to the "rat-pack" but only for personality's license, but, there is no FRANK SINATRA album that I know of (and I know many) that can equal the incredible artistry of Sammy's individual expression.  Guess what?  I am not at all a SAMMY DAVIS JR. fan!  I have bought other SAMMY albums and collections (including California Suite which is way "rat-pack") and I don't care for them. 

Though nothing could ever hold a candle to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.  Enticed by the "remastered" sticker, I bought it without any prior knowledge of the album.  Oops.  Hatred

Guess what?  I've considered purchasing Metal Machine Music perhaps because of its long standing reputation.  Just like I like BAD MOVIES I like BAD MUSIC!  LOU REED himself is cryptic regarding this release, thought of as a way to fulfill contractual obligations, but there are some who declare it a masterpiece!  I recieved as a Christmas present just last year the latest ROLLING STONE ALBUM GUIDE (as they call it, it used to be RECORD GUIDE; aren't records, records, even if distributed as CDs?)  And though bands like BLACK SABBATH have fared incredibly better than when first reviewed in 1979, Metal Machine Music is still considered the dud of duds. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 11:09:24 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 01:16:39 AM »

Guess what?  I've considered purchasing Metal Machine Music perhaps because of its long standing reputation.  Just like I like BAD MOVIES I like BAD MUSIC!  LOU REED himself is cryptic regarding this release, thought of as a way to fulfill contractual obligations, but there are some who declare it a masterpiece!  I recieved as a Christmas present just last year the latest ROLLING STONE ALBUM GUIDE (as they call it, it used to be RECORD GUIDE; aren't records, records, even if distributed as CDs?)  And though bands like BLACK SABBATH have fared incredibly better than when first reviewed in 1979, Metal Machine Music is still considered the dud of duds. 

Bad music?!  You're talking to someone who owns Cycle Sluts From Hell on both CD and vinyl!  Haha.

Anyway, you can save yourself the price of admission on Metal Machine Music:  To emulate the sound, simply turn your radio to a static-laden station and crank it.  Then take your Fender Stratocaster and wave it in front of an amp.  Rinse and repeat for about an hour and you've recreated a piece of music history.  TeddyR

++josh;
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 05:46:53 AM »

BAD music? Try the MENTORS. It's so bad it's ANTI-Music! Bought a tape of them once...out of morbid curiosity...they suck laffably!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »

Bad music?!  You're talking to someone who owns Cycle Sluts From Hell on both CD and vinyl!  Haha.
BAD music? Try the MENTORS. It's so bad it's ANTI-Music! Bought a tape of them once...out of morbid curiosity...they suck laffably!

Try BARNES & BARNES Voobaha which contains "Fish Heads" and "Something's In The Bag," bad, but in a very good way.  Or, THE SHAGGS Philosophy Of The World which is about as bad as bad gets, in a not-so-good way... so bad it's interesting. 

BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 01:51:06 PM »

1.DEAD KENNEDYS-Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegtables
Nirvana-In The Utero (to me a big "F*** you to people who wanted other Nevermind and got this)
Just who are the "rotting vegetables" I've often mused...
I thought In Utero was superior. 

"In Utero" I felt was superior too. It just was so different from "Nevermind" . It felt as though Nirvana gave the record company what it wanted with "Nevermind" and just did what they really wanted musically with their second release. It was produced by Steve Albini from Big Black fame and it was more of a homage to Touch and Go releases from the 80s and early 90s.

Cycle Sluts From Hell ROCK!! But than again my favorite band is Anti-Nowhere League Smile

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 10:23:44 PM »

Start with Great Escape.  I think you'll really enjoy it.  Another contemporary band along these lines is Super Furry Animals, though with a little more electronic tinkering.  If you haven't heard anything by them, check out Radiator or Guerrilla.  They also have an album entirely in Welsh called Mwng, which is quite enjoyable.

Picked up BLUR's Great Escape -- really good songs, I need to give it more listens, I'm only on the third time around, it's on right now.  They sound like they could be from the early 80s, yet, they play their instruments too well!   Wink

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 11:29:22 PM »

Like so many others, there is NO way I could give a permanent Top 10 Album list.  But, here are a few that are usually not too far out of hand, in no particular order. Oh yeah, I've seen so many good 'uns in this thread that I am trying to list ones not overly listed before, but there will be some repeats.

(1) Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
(2) Iron Maiden - Powerslave
(3) Black Sabbath - Paranoid
(4) Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
(5) Dan Tyminski - Carry Me Over the Mountain
(6) Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting
(7) REM - Fables of the Reconstruction (Driver 8 is one of the best songs ever produced)
(8) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
(9) Deep Purple - Machine Head
(10) The Who - Soundtrack from The Kids Are Alright  (some great stuff here, little played on Classic Rock radio)

Others:

Pink Floyd - The Wall, Animals (yes, I was so glad to see this mentioned) and Wish You Were Here (I have some the 60's stuff, too)
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
The Greatful Dead - Workingman's Dead

etc.

Edit: Ditto on glad to see Leonard Cohen make the list, too.   Thumbup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 11:49:03 PM »

I didn't list it, but should be on the list as one of the best post Roger Waters albums.

Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of Reason

I'm pretty sure I have every Pink Floyd album release and most of Roger Waters and David Gilmore and a couple of Syd Barrett.

DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 01:21:02 AM »

Picked up BLUR's Great Escape -- really good songs, I need to give it more listens, I'm only on the third time around, it's on right now.  They sound like they could be from the early 80s, yet, they play their instruments too well!   Wink

Excellent!  I'm really glad you gave them a shot.  Great Escape is quite a jump from their hit single Song 2, huh?  "Woohoo! .... Whoohoo! ..."  Given your other music tastes, I think you'll really appreciate Blur's Park Life as well.  I tend to introduce people to GE first because the 70s brit pop/dance elements are milder.  But if I was forced to choose, I'd probably side with PL myself.  Chances are you might too...

Evidently I do the same thing you do with new albums: play them over and over until the neighbors start whistling the rhythms.  It's kind of like that scene in Stepfather II...  Haha.  Actually, that very thing happened in this ancient three-flat I lived in briefly in Chicago, well, almost.  While I was getting the mail my upstairs neighbor bumped into me and dryly said, "So you like Nine Inch Nails then?"  Oops.  TeddyR

++josh;
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Post your Top Ten favorite albums of all time. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.