Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:22:38 AM
713336 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Post your Top Ten favorite albums of all time. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Post your Top Ten favorite albums of all time.  (Read 22235 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 19, 2007, 10:47:04 PM »

Without further ado, here's my Top Ten favorite albums:

1) THE BEATLES  "Revolver"
2) FRANK ZAPPA  "Overnight Sensation / Apostrophe" (they were recorded simultaneously  TongueOut )
3) THE POLICE  "Zenyatta Mondatta"
4) METALLICA  "Master of Puppets"
5) MEATLOAF   "Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell"
6) RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS   "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"
7) PRIMUS   "Frizzle Fry"
8) LED ZEPPELIN   "Physical Graffiti"
9) PINK FLOYD   "Animals"
10) PAUL SIMON   "Graceland"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honorable mentions
FAITH NO MORE   "Angel Dust"
RUSH   "Counterparts"
AC/DC   "Powerage"
AEROSMITH  "Rocks"
VAN HALEN  "Women and Children First"
MEGADETH "Rust in Peace"
PETER GABRIEL "So"
QUEEN  "A Night at the Opera"
RADIOHEAD   "The Bends"
IRON MAIDEN  "The Number of the Beast"
SLAYER   "Reign in Blood"
TOM WAITS    "Mule Variations" 
XTC  "English Settlement" 
THE CLASH   "London Calling"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:26:43 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:09:53 AM »

In no particular order and subject to change:

THE STOOGES: Fun House
TALKING HEADS: Remain In Light
ROXY MUSIC: Roxy Music
PINK FLOYD: Wish You Were Here
THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS: The Gilded Palace Of Sin
SAMMY DAVIS JR. with LAURINDO ALMEIDA: Sammy Davis Jr. Sings, Laurindo Almeida Plays
DAVID BOWIE: Low
JUNE CHRISTY: This Time Of Year
BECK: Odelay
THE PRETENDERS: Pretenders

I'm not a fan of long lists, but since I hear these in my head...Honorable Mention:
THE BEATLES: Abbey Road
ROXY MUSIC: Siren
THE BEATLES: The Beatles
ROXY MUSIC: Country Life
SARAH VAUGHN: Golden Hits
SERGIO MENDES and BRASIL 66: Look Around
STAN GETZ and JOACHIM GILBERTO: Getz / Gilberto
JOSHUA RIFKIN: Scott Joplin - Piano Rags
FRANK SINATRA: Only The Lonely
COCTEAU TWINS: Blue Bell Knoll
RICKY NELSON: Ricky Sings Again!

EDIT: VLADO PERLEMUTER: Vlado Perlemuter RAVEL Piano Works Vol.1 (1979 there is also a Vol.2 highly recommended, but inferior to Vol.1) supplants any and all previously selected records, I simply took it for granted and gave it no thought.  I had a collection on a 1961 released vinyl VOX BOX set of three LPs, Maurice Ravel complete piano works (though long dead, this was not a complete Ravel set as some pieces were then unpublished).  These are re-recorded perfectly by the original artist, the only pianist that I have heard (with one exception) who can actually play Maurice Ravel's piano music as intended: VLADO PERLEMUTER
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 07:38:25 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Zarcal-TB
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:08:20 PM »

I couldn't possably do 10 as everything after 4 or 5 changes with my mood but the ones that are ALWAYS close to the cd player are:

1) Abby Road -- Beatles
2) Warren Zevon -- Excitable Boy
3) Little Creatures -- Talking Heads
4) Josuha Tree -- U2
------------------------------
5) Marbles -- Marillion
6) Darkside of the Moon -- Pink Floyd
7) Housemartins -- People who grinned themselves to death
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »

DAVID BOWIE: Low

Thumbup Thumbup  I thought I was alone in that Low is my favorite Bowie album!  I also prefer Roxy Music's earlier efforts, with Country Life and their self-titled probably tied for my affection.

My Top 10:

10:  SMASHING PUMPKINS ....... Melancholy & the Infinite Sadness
09:  PINK FLOYD .................... Wish You Were Here
08:  ELVIS COSTELLO ............. My Aim Is True
07:  DINOSAUR JR .................. You're Living All Over Me
06:  FUGAZI .......................... The Argument
05:  NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL ....... On Avery Island
04:  MEAT PUPPETS ................ II
03:  VELVET UNDERGROUND ..... The Velvet Underground & Nico
02:  JOLIE HOLLAND ............... Springtime Can Kill You
01:  NINE INCH NAILS ............. The Fragile

This is a really hard exercise, as it seems none of my favorite bands are responsible for my favorite albums.  I mean, I own over 9 hours of Butthole Surfers music, yet I couldn't bring myself to put any of their albums on a top ten list.  TeddyR
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:26:17 PM by DodgingGrunge » Logged

++josh;
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 02:36:41 PM »

This is a really hard exercise, as it seems none of my favorite bands are responsible for my favorite albums.  I mean, I own over 9 hours of Butthole Surfers music, yet I couldn't bring myself to put any of their albums on a top ten list.  TeddyR

That's why I always have to put a honorable mention section to most of my lists to give props to albums that I love but just can't quite make the top 10 ranking.

BTW, what did you think of the newest Smashing Pumpkins album? It's really more of a Billy Corgan solo album under the SP moniker as it has session players on it in addition to him having session players on tour instead of the original/classic lineup.  My only issue with them is his vocals, I really wish that he would hire an excellent vocalist at times, but then again, I'm a huge Rush fan so I guess I don't have a right to be critical of vocals in some people's eyes.   Wink 

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 04:18:22 PM »

I couldn't possably do 10 as everything after 4 or 5 changes with my mood
I agree with ZARCAL that choosing 10 is now nearly impossible for me.  Some good choices there, particularly my "formal" favorite, Abbey Road, but do think the HEADS best album is Remain In Light.  

I thought I was alone in that Low is my favorite Bowie album!  I also prefer Roxy Music's earlier efforts, with Country Life and their self-titled probably tied for my affection.
Couldn't agree more...for my long winded thoughts on Low you can find my review on Amazon credited to Allhallowsday (I also have ROXY reviews, too).  I really love that record.  I like all of ROXY MUSIC's first five albums.  ROXY's first and Country Life are my favorites, too, though Siren does haunt me. 

10:  SMASHING PUMPKINS ....... Melancholy & the Infinite Sadness
09:  PINK FLOYD .................... Wish You Were Here
08:  ELVIS COSTELLO ............. My Aim Is True
03:  VELVET UNDERGROUND ..... The Velvet Underground & Nico

You have good taste.  Some of my favorites, too, Wish You Were Here is on my top 10 list.  My Aim Is True was one of the first "new wave" records I bought.  I purposely avoided mentioning VU & Nico as I've been playing selections from it a lot lately (more shameless self promotion: checkout my ill-received review on Amazon).  Also skipped another favorite which I'm listening to now: CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Safe As Milk.

DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 04:59:49 PM »

BTW, what did you think of the newest Smashing Pumpkins album?

Corgan hit his peak with the Pumpkins' album Adore.  I wasn't a fan of Machina.  ZWAN had some really amazing b-sides, but the songs that made it onto the album were really disappointing.  His solo album was awful.  I ordered a lot of CDs yesterday, actually, among them is the new Pumpkins.  So I can't say whether or not I like it yet.  I also ordered the new Meat Puppets and Queens of the Stone Age albums.

I thought I was alone in that Low is my favorite Bowie album!  I also prefer Roxy Music's earlier efforts, with Country Life and their self-titled probably tied for my affection.
Couldn't agree more...for my long winded thoughts on Low you can find my review on Amazon credited to Allhallowsday (I also have ROXY reviews, too).  I really love that record.  I like all of ROXY MUSIC's first five albums.  ROXY's first and Country Life are my favorites, too, though Siren does haunt me. 

I completely agree.  Eno's contributions and the direction of the first era of Roxy Music made for much better music.  Though we wouldn't have to search very hard to find a music critic to disagree with us.  Avalon seems to top an awful lot of lists.

Quite a bit of my music collection is made up of music along these lines.  A lot of David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Rolling Stones, etc.  Are you a fan of Blur?  Park Life and Great Escape capture the same sort of British glam-pop sound quite well.

You have good taste.  Some of my favorites, too, Wish You Were Here is on my top 10 list.  My Aim Is True was one of the first "new wave" records I bought.  I purposely avoided mentioning VU & Nico as I've been playing selections from it a lot lately (more shameless self promotion: checkout my ill-received review on Amazon).  Also skipped another favorite which I'm listening to now: CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Safe As Milk.

Thanks!  TeddyR  Aside from the Flying Burrito Brothers and Sammy Davis JR, I have all the albums in your list.  I suspect there's quite a bit of overlap in our collections.  I love Beck's irritatingly experimental early work, as well as his abrupt downshift into Sea Change, but I rarely listen to Odelay.  Captain Beefheart is great.  I broke down and bought a huge box set a few years back.  It didn't disappoint.  In addition to VU, it is also worth mentioning Lou Reed's Transformer.

I happen to have a crush on Peaches, so I should probably toss her album The Teaches of Peaches out there as a notable mention, so as not to offend.

Other notable mentions:  Melvins, Cat Power, anything with Mike Patton, L7, Jesus Lizard, Nancy Sinatra, Tom Waits, Ministry, Belle & Sebastian.

++josh;
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 06:58:33 PM »

.The STOOGES (1st album)
.the RAMONES-(1st album)
.the ROLLING STONES-Let It Bleed
.DEAD KENNEDYS-Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegtables
.BLACK SABBATH-(1st)
.the CRAMPS-Bad Music for Bad People
.JIMI HENDRIX-Electric Ladyland
.HALLOWEEN HOOTENANNY-(various artists)
.BAD BRAINS-Banned in DC
.the VENTURES-GO!
....this list is subject to change as often as my underwear....(I can hear my wife now..."What? Once a month?!")

secondary list...
.the RAMONES-Loco Live!
.BLACK FLAG-Slip It In
.AC/DC-High Voltage
.SEX PISTOLS-Never Mind the Bollucks....
.JAMES BROWN-Sex Machine
.MICHIGAN ROCKS-(various artists)
.the STOOGES-Raw Power
.the STOOGES-Funhouse
.DEAD KENNEDYS-Frankenchirst
.HANK WILLIAMS-Greatest Hits

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 07:36:11 PM »

Ohh tough question ... hmmm

1. Pink Floyd - The Wall
2. Alice Cooper - From the Inside
3. The Clash - Combat Rock
4. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
5. Rush - 2112
6. The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
7. Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
8. David Bowie - Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
9. Billy Squire - Don't Say No
10. The Who - Who's Next

Man there are so many I'd really have to look long and hard to come up with a firm list, this is just a off the top of the head list.

Torgo

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 09:26:06 PM »

Man there are so many I'd really have to look long and hard to come up with a firm list, this is just a off the top of the head list.

Interesting choice picking Combat Rock. I figured that most people would list either one of their earlier albums or espcially London Calling.  I think that Combat Rock is kind of underrated but I would pick London Calling as my favorite Clash album.

Makes me realize that I need to update my honorable mentions with that album right now.   TeddyR

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 10:07:02 PM »

Interesting choice picking Combat Rock. I figured that most people would list either one of their earlier albums or espcially London Calling.  I think that Combat Rock is kind of underrated but I would pick London Calling as my favorite Clash album.

Makes me realize that I need to update my honorable mentions with that album right now.   TeddyR

I have all of The Clash, Combat Rock was one of the anthem albums that we played all the time in Lebanon in the early 80's when it came out, it seemed to fit with Rockin' the Casbah. I tend to sort albums like they did in 'High Fidelity' in Semi Autobiographical order.
London calling is a great album and I keep The Story of the Clash, Volume 1 around to play fairly often, but I also think Sandinista! tends to be overlooked at times.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 10:22:10 PM »

.The STOOGES (1st album)
.the RAMONES-(1st album)
.the ROLLING STONES-Let It Bleed
.DEAD KENNEDYS-Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegtables
.the CRAMPS-Bad Music for Bad People
.JIMI HENDRIX-Electric Ladyland
.the VENTURES-GO!
THE STOOGES first album is wonderfully "dumb" and alot of fun; one of my favorites.  Let It Bleed was my favorite STONES album, but I'm leaning towards Exile On Main Street these days.  Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables was the best DEAD KENNEDYS album and a real collector's item I gave away...I listen to a lot of surf music, so THE VENTURES "Diamondhead" is a favorite; THE CRAMPS Bad Music For Bad People is a wonderful collection of their best including "Garbage Man" and "Human Fly;" Hendrix's Electric Ladyland is one of my favorite albums and includes some of my favorite Jimi. 
secondary list...
.the RAMONES-Loco Live!
..the STOOGES-Raw Power
.the STOOGES-Funhouse
.HANK WILLIAMS-Greatest Hits
Well, THE STOOGES Raw Power is weirdly noted as Kurt Cobain's favorite record, and it is damned good, though Fun House is probably the best Rock record yet recorded which is high praise (at least it made it to your secondary list!)  HANK WILLIAMS is only under-appreciated and a huge favorite of mine!  More karma for Bela?  Yup. 

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 10:32:26 PM »

Thanks!  TeddyR  Aside from the Flying Burrito Brothers and Sammy Davis JR, I have all the albums in your list.  I suspect there's quite a bit of overlap in our collections.  I love Beck's irritatingly experimental early work, as well as his abrupt downshift into Sea Change, but I rarely listen to Odelay.  Captain Beefheart is great.  I broke down and bought a huge box set a few years back.  It didn't disappoint.  In addition to VU, it is also worth mentioning Lou Reed's Transformer.
Other notable mentions:  Melvins, Cat Power, anything with Mike Patton, L7, Jesus Lizard, Nancy Sinatra, Tom Waits, Ministry, Belle & Sebastian.
I think if you try out those two that you're missing, you won't be disappointed.   Transformer is hard to overlook...

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 05:48:25 AM »

It is hard to pin down favorite albums...I enjoy such a wide variety....I love jazz,and Stan Getz is a master! Also,as a teenager had ALL the Pink Flyod records,(ANIMALS and WISH YOU WERE HERE were favs...I even had UMMA GUMMA!), Dick Dale,the Pretenders,(ALL hallows-1st album-YEAH!!!) ,the Butthole Surfers!, the Allman Bros BROTHERS and SISTERS album is great, Parliement and Funkadelic, Screaming Lord Sutch is goofy fun,the Mummies,the Ghasltly Ones,the Bomboras...dam...I could go on and on....OH! Any Kyuss (not a typo-not Kiss...KYUSS!) fans out there?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 01:34:46 PM »

This list is subject to change:  Smile

1.DEAD KENNEDYS-Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegtables
2.D.I.-Horse Bites Dog Cries
3.Circle Jerks-Group Sex
4.Gorilla Biscuits-Start Today
5.Adollescents-"Blue" Album
6.Replacments-Sorry Ma, Forgot to take out the Trash
7.Metallica-Master Of Puppets
8-The Lawrence Arms-Oh! Calcutta!
9.Discharge-Why?
10. Black Flag-My War

Honorable Mentions (Thiers alot)

S.O.D-Speak English or Die
Big Black-Songs About f**king
Rabies-Test Your Might
Antrax-Persistnece of Time
Bkini Kill -p***y Whipped
A Global Threat-What The f**k Will Change
Distillers-"First" Album
Madball-Hold It Down
Mitra-All Gods Kill
Out Cold-GoodBye Cruel world
Have Heart-Things We Carry
Nirvana-In The Utero (to me a big "F*** you to people who wanted other Nevermind and got this)
Descendents-Milo Goes to Collge
DeathCycle-"First" Album

Two albums killed by radio, music media etc.
Nirvana-Nevermind
Guns N Roses-Appetite For Destruction

Both are still pretty solid albums even if you take out all the "Hits"
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 01:38:06 PM by rich andrini » Logged

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Post your Top Ten favorite albums of all time. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.