Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:22:02 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  DCI World Championships (Pasadena California) « previous next »
Poll
Question: Have you ever been to a DCI Drum & Bugle Show?
Yes - 2 (33.3%)
No - 4 (66.7%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DCI World Championships (Pasadena California)  (Read 8580 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: July 20, 2007, 08:43:50 PM »

August 9th DCI will be broadcasting the World Championships from Pasadena, California Rose Bowl stadium at select movie theaters across the country. Even though it's coming again this year to the big screen live you really have to go to a live show to begin to understand Drum and Bugle Corps. It's simply amazing. It's not your high school or college marching bands. This is Drum Corps. If you can't see a show live this Summer catch it one the big screen August 9th.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=4-1OK58mQiQ&mode=related&search=

http://www.dci.org/index.cfm
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:29:05 PM by Scott » Logged

Raffine

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:28:14 PM »

Cool! I'm a Drum Corp fan from waaaay back. I still remember The 27th Lancers, The Bridgemen, Suncoast Sound, The Sky Riders, and all those other extinct corps.

I was at the show in Murfreesboro last weekend.

Terrific lineup!

1. Blue Knights

2. Carolina Crown

3. Bluecoats

4. Santa Clara Vanguard

5. Phantom Regiment

6. Blue Devils

7. The Cavaliers

8. The Cadets

Great show, but I guess I'm getting old. Many of the corps' programs pretty much mystify me these days. The drills are breath-taking, the horn lines are dazzling, the percussion lines got some chops!, the guards, uh, "Fabulous!" but the music mostly goes right over my head. But I will continue to go to shows every summer until I drop.  Thumbup

I grew up around corps in the 70's and 80's and  much of that new-fangled "touchy-feely" interpretive stuff leaves me a bit cold. Those big gals who used to heave those rifles around for The 27th Lancers could beat the crap outta any of those willowy dancers they have in the guards these days.  Smile 

I've always loved The Cadets, but they really need to loose that God-awful "I Believe" narration.

The corps I was really impressed with was Carolina Crown, who just seems to get better and better every year.

I never marched in a corps but have lots of friends who did. I housed staff and even taught some brass a couple of summers for "South Wind" (we called them "Suck Wind", but don't tell them that!).

They started a DCA corps near me a few years ago and I've been awfully tempted to join up! 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 11:33:21 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 01:13:12 AM »

Does the Marine Corps Band count? I've seen them with the silent drill team when I was in, but aside from that not much of that stuff around here outside of the schools and colleges. which I reckon is Drum Corp Lite.

Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 05:18:55 AM »

Yes, Cheezeflixz The Marine Corps band does count. I've seen them preform twice at DCI shows and they are great. Different style, but great.

Raffine Drum and Bugle Corps is beauty with brassknuckles. I'll post more thoughts later, but I have to go to work now. Talk with you later.

Scott

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 09:29:58 PM »

Raffine, the Murfreesboro show is one of the big shows of the year along with the Eastern Classic in Allentown Pa and the one in San Antonio Tx in the Alamodome.

I grew up in upstate New York which was and still is a drum corps haven. In the 70's we had the Walkins Glen Squires who were very competitive in the mid-70's. They also had the first DCI World Championships in Ithaca, New York. My first show was in Corning, New York sometime in the mid-70's which my father took me to and I was mesmerised the first time I saw it. The music, formations, and the trance these corps were in amazed me. They never looked to the sides always straight forward unblinking. That night we saw Caballeros, Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, Squires, Mark Twain Cadets, and I can't remember the others. There was a buzz in the air as everyone seemed to be aware that the Yankee Rebels didn't like to lose and had a fit the last time they competed against someone there that night. My parents got divorced and I never went to a show again. Never heard of them again. Thought they all dissappeared.

It was the internet that reintroduced me to the Drum and Bugle Corps in 2001 when I found the Caballeros webpage and found out more info that led me to a big show in Franklin Field in Philadelphia. What a early season night that was.

The Cavaliers (Awesome)
The Blue Devils (Great)
The Cadets
The Boston Crusaders (My personal favorite of the night as they did a show called Harmonium)
The Crossmen (incredible solo's)
Spirit of JSU

The Surf

We've gone every year since except this year because my daughter is busy Saturday nights with Kung Fu, but I'm going to my local theater that advertised the show on August 9th.

I have an old recording of the 27th Lancers from the 60's I believe at the Dream Contest in Jersey City, New Jersey.

The DCI and DCA shows that we have frequented have been in:

Philadelphia
Hershey, Pa.
Reading, Pa.
West Chester, Pa.
New Brunswick, NJ
Blackwood, NJ
Wildwood, NJ
Lakewood, NJ
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 09:36:46 PM by Scott » Logged

Raffine

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »

They are quite amazing, aren't they? We used to travel eight hours round trip to get to the Murfreesboro show and now it's less than 30 minutes away for me.  Cheers

I've always regretted I didn't pursue (too damn lazy!) marching with a corps at least one year. Like I mentioned before I know several folks who did and I did have the chance to be periphally (at least) involved with a corp in the 80s. My next door neighbor was the corps director at the time and many of the staff spent the summer sleeping on my living room floor.

One of my best friends who I usually go to corps shows with these days was in the Cavaliers guard back in the early 80s. A woman sitting behind us at a show one year told us she was cracking up watching us during the performance. She said is was very obvious where our interests were because my head would always follow the brass line and his always followed the guard, and I would always applaud the soloists and the big brass licks and he's applaud whenever they flung them rifles waaaay up in the air and managed to catch 'em again, or least not crack their skulls open.   TeddyR

Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 09:11:48 PM »

My family had me taking drum lessons when I was about 8 or 9 years old, but I was to into baseball that summer when they signed me up. If I had it to do over again I would pick drums (snare) without a doubt. I wasted my whole youth on baseball. Almost every hour of every day was devoted to baseball even in the winter I was involved with baseball practice. They would have had better luck had they started me on drums in the winter. Baseball has a special magic to it, but only a few actually make it to the big time. That's all water under the bridge now.

Dennis and Poogie should attend the World Championship in Pasadena, Ca this year. What a great venue for Drum Corps.

Those trumpets and mellowphones are pretty neat also. Actually if I were to play I would want to play these over drums. Horn lines are also cool.

The color guard has a lot of dance influence now days unlike the days of old. You can still catch some alumni shows in the Northeast. By the way the Bridgemen just returned last year after not being active for (25?) years. One of the very best Alumni Corps are the Caballeros. Their selection of spanish style music is to awesome.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:14:52 PM by Scott » Logged

Scott

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 01:43:59 PM »

Here's a list of this years theaters that are show the Quarterfinals August 9th.

http://www.dci.org/cinema/theaters.cfm

To far for me to watch it live on screen. My local theater had the ad and I thought for sure they were going to show it. Well...........if anyone is near one it's worth the $18 to get in.

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 01:40:16 PM »

USMC Drum and Bugle Corps

Spirit

Colts

Glassmen

Boston Crusaders

Blue Knights

Bluecoats

Carolina Crown

The performance is directional so only half the Rose Bowl was used.

I want to thank Scott for telling me about this, any one of these groups is worth the price of admission, to see and hear them all was truly awesome, if any of you get the opportunity to attend a DCI competition, go, it's a great show.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Scott

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 08:27:35 PM »

Wow ! ! ! ! ! Thats awesome Dennis. The Rose Bowl with the San Gabriel Mountains in the background. What a great site for Drum Corps.

It is an activity that is hard to explain to people. These performances are extremely powerful and emotional. There is nothing else like it in the world. It's truely divine in nature. Beauty with brass knuckles.

Raffine is also a big fan Dennis.

Thanks for posting the photos. I really like California.

Raffine

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 08:51:14 PM »

Yes, very cool, Dennis!

Thanks for posting these, and I'm glad you got to see this live.

Boy, I haven't been to finales since 1988, but luckily we have a great show close by in Murfreesboro.

And "Congratulations!" to DCI Division III winners Tennessee's own Memphis Sound!

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 08:24:02 AM »

We had a great time, and I saw and heard something that was very moving. The finale of the USMC Drum and Bugle Corps was the Stars and Stripes Forever, they had everyone standing and clapping hands or stomping feet in time to the music, when they finished they got a standing ovation. At this point the announcer for DCI requested that we remain standing for the National Anthem which the Marines played, as soon as they began and without any prompting everyone sang the Star Spangled Banner, and not softly, we all sang out, thousands of people, it was beautiful.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Scott

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »

The Marine Corps band is really unique. I've seen them perform in New Brunswick, New Jersey and Hershey Park, Pa.

Dennis, what did you think of the top 5 Corps?

raj

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 09:50:28 AM »

Never been to a Drum & Bugle show, but I do like the bagpipes & drums at Scottish festivals.
Scott

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 10:08:34 AM »

These instruments are quite mesmerising. They have assisted military formations for centuries from marching to field position. Because of distance weapons we don't need to fight in formation anymore.

All the pageantry is still a crowd rousing experience.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gr5NvRKRiOA
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:15:12 AM by Scott » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  DCI World Championships (Pasadena California) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.