Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:37:23 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cult movie soundtracks « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cult movie soundtracks  (Read 9203 times)
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« on: July 24, 2007, 02:59:37 PM »

For some reason, when it comes to the mainstream the last thing I notice is the music.  Big, sweeping scores from the likes of Howard Shore and John Williams rarely ever stick with me.  However, the music in much smaller movies typically appeals to me as much as anything else I might listen to.  This just popped into my head because I'm sitting here at work with iTunes on random and got a double dose of b-movie music: A track from the completely sweet Richard Band Re-Animator soundtrack followed up with a track from Goblin's Suspiria.

so what are some of your favorite soundtrack/scores?

My all-time of all-time is the John Carpenter soundtrack from Escape From New York.  Silva Screen released a sweet re-issue of the soundtrack a couple of years ago with some of the best dialog tossed in between tracks.  Everybody remembers the Halloween theme more than Escape, but Escape has a LOT more variety than Halloween.

Following close behind is the aforementioned Suspiria soundtrack.  I have a hard time picking from Goblin because I'm a pretty big fan but it always comes down to Deep Red or Suspiria.  Dawn of the Dead close behind whichever one loses that decision.

The Fabio Frizzi score for The Beyond also ranks high with me.  I'm a sucker for synthy/proggy music, I guess.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »

« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:27:59 AM by DodgingGrunge » Logged

++josh;
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 03:40:44 PM »

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 04:19:07 PM »

Anything by this guy:

Of course, it could be argued his cult status was somewhat diminished when the United States Post Office issued a stamp in his honor.  TeddyR

Some of his lesser know works are among my favorites: HANGOVER SQUARE, WHITE WITCH DOCTOR, THE KENTUCKIAN, and THE NIGHT DIGGER.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 04:32:32 PM »

Anything by this guy:
I don't think Herrmann did a less than wonderful score, though my favorites are more obvious choices like THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR, VERTIGO, TAXI DRIVER, MYSTERIOUS ISLAND...

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 05:42:50 PM »

Good call with GOBLIN and Hermann and the score to Carnival of Souls! I LOVE Goblin's! I enjoy the scores  from DEEP RED and DEMONS! And karma Mr.Jones,on a cool thread! You must be psychic,as I was thinking about this same subject yesterday! Weird......

Here are some of my favorites...
.The bluegrass music in 2000 MANIACS
.the sleazy "wah...wah...dig it dig it" stuff in the BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE.
.Ennrio Morricone ( I know I must have spelled that wrong again!)
.the cool bongo music in the WILD ANGELS
.the soundtrack from the RETURN of the LIVING DEAD

[youtube=425,350]
Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 06:07:31 PM »

While most various artist soundtracks bore me, the Return of the Living Dead album is dope.  The first time I saw the ads for the movie, Party Time instantly became a favorite song.  45 Grave are like Motley Crue meet The Misfits.  I love it.

I totally forgot about Bernard Herrmann.  Taxi Driver is up there with some of my favorites.  He died right after he finished it.  Talk about going out on a high note.

Can't forget Morricone, either.  The stuff he did for The Thing is some of his best, but no one ever talks about it.

Visit the b-movie blog
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 07:07:10 PM »

Good call with GOBLIN and Hermann and the score to Carnival of Souls! I LOVE Goblin's! Here are some of my favorites...
Ennrio Morricone ( I know I must have spelled that wrong again!)
Close!  It's Ennio Morricone...
TANGERINE DREAM had some interesting soundtracks, including RISKY BUSINESS and LEGEND
The music in CARNIVAL OF SOULS was by GENE MOORE (whoever that was, organist extraordinairre)... don't look at this clip if you haven't looked at the movie...it's just an overwrought trailer (in COLOR) that is of interest only if you've seen the thing (one of my favorite movies...)  "The management has been forced to state: positively no refunds..."  Lookingup  Oh yeh that makes me want to see it. 
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHci73uu5nI
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 09:56:43 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 09:31:09 PM »

I need to check out the Goblin s/tk to Deep Red, having just discovered the film. in the film their stuff sounds funky and dark at the same time, its really good.

HIGH-SCHOOL HIGH soundtrack is my favourite of all time...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 11:39:58 PM »

I love many of the works of Jerry Goldsmith (PLANET OF THE APES, LOGAN'S RUN, THE OMEN, his "Boris Karloff's Thriller" Scores) and  Ron Grainer (THE OMEGA MAN, "Doctor Who", "The  Prisoner") myself.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
dean

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 02:18:28 AM »

I'm a big soundtrack junkie, ranging from generic Harry-Gregson Williams-esque work to the classics.  Things like the King Kong score sit very well with me, alongside odd choices like the Fifth Element soundtrack by Eric Serra.

If we are talking scores, I could chat people's heads off, but lately I've been getting into Clint Mansell.  I really enjoyed his work on both Solaris [the newer] and Traffic.  Not classic by any means, but nice all the same.

Beyond that, some lesser known soundtracks like Howard Shore's The Village [crappish movie, great soundtrack] are known to have good rotation at my place. 

There's plenty more on the list, sure, but they're the quick few I'll list right now.  Hermann, Morricone and Elmer Bernstien are some of my top choices just generally though.  David Arnold has done some good work with the Bond soundtracks as well.

Still though, my taste in soundtracks has been ruined by Stan Bush and Vince Di cola with the original Transformers movie soundtrack.  That is so bad its genius.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 11:35:43 AM »

Damn!  One I totally forgot to mention that gets no love is the all electronic score to Forbidden Planet.  I have a slight tendency to lean toward the avant and this is no exception.  It's all very early electronic, sounds a lot like a theremin in places but is done without synths (hadn't been invented yet).  Definitely check it out for some of the weirdest classic sci-fi music you've ever heard.

Visit the b-movie blog
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 07:27:26 PM »

I don't pick up many soundtracks.  My favorite of all time has been the Fight Club soundtrack.  I'm not much for techno but what the Dust Bros. did with the music for that film is absolutely amazing. 

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 07:36:36 PM »

If we are talking scores, I could chat people's heads off, but lately I've been getting into Clint Mansell.  I really enjoyed his work on both Solaris [the newer] and Traffic.  Not classic by any means, but nice all the same.

I believe I'm right in saying that Clint Mansell used to be in a UK indie band called Pop Will Eat Itself around 89-92 era. I almost went to see them on a few occasions, put off by the fact that thet were terrible! His soundtrack work is completely different. I'm sure its the same guy.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 07:40:13 PM »

I believe I'm right in saying that Clint Mansell used to be in a UK indie band called Pop Will Eat Itself around 89-92 era. I almost went to see them on a few occasions, put off by the fact that thet were terrible! His soundtrack work is completely different. I'm sure its the same guy.

Yeah, you're right.  Here's the AllMusic bio.

++josh;
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cult movie soundtracks « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.