Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:43:21 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Intruder (1989) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Intruder (1989)  (Read 2366 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 25, 2007, 10:01:20 PM »

I FINALLY got around to seeing the uncut version of this infamous 1989 slasher flick directed by Scott Spiegel and starring Sam & Ted Raimi with a couple of brief appearances by Bruce Campbell and Lawrence Bender at the end.

While I still have issues with how all of the murders are clumped together in the middle of the movie and that the 1st murder doesn't happen until around 40 minutes into the movie.  Finally getting to see this movie uncut with all of the gore that was cut out of my VHS copy was pretty cool. Particularly the bandsaw lobotomy, death by box crusher  and eye hook.

Even though I hated From Dusk till Dawn 2 (which Spiegel also later directed), I found his direction in Intruder to be pretty accomplished for a no budget slasher flick.  He clearly cops from Sam Raimi's early style but manages to come up with some fairly stylized shots.

Anyone else seen this and what were your opinions?     

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 03:16:42 PM »

Thumbup  Intruder has long been one of my favorite slasher films.  And in retrospect, it all seems so obvious.  Of course, yes, unleash a killer in a supermarket!  Egad!  What fabulous toys there are to cut kids down in an entertaining way...  In fact this and Video Violence is what my Ex cites as jumpstarting her love of horror.

I was really surprised at the quality of the DVD in that it didn't look much better than my bootleg.  Some quick research explained the fullscreen presentation: it was shot in 1.85:1.  But the detail in the shots isn't terribly good either... comparable to a UPN sitcom.  It would seem that on VHS you just couldn't tell how low-budget this film was.

Oh well.  This film is still in frequent rotation in my library.

++josh;
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »

Picked up a copy of this one a few months back after reading a few reviews.  At the time I only knew Spiegel from his small role in Dead Next Door and his work in Skinned Alive.  I figured I'd give the film a shot as it had some heavy Raimi ties as both Sam and Ted are in it.

Overall it was a bit of a disappointment.  The kills are a ton of fun but like Torgo said, it takes too long to get to the murders.  The beginning is slow and I felt that the ending was not very well handled either.

I also feel that Spiegel's directing was not as good as it could have been.  The inventive shots are fun at first, but when you are doing a shot from a rotary phone's POV, then it's time to lay off the slick shots and stick with what works.

It's not a terrible slasher, and the gore/deaths are superb.  It's worth watching if only for that reason.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:51:23 PM »

Scott Spiegel's style usually drives me nuts and makes me want to shut the movie off ASAP (like in the case of From Dusk Till Dawn 2) but I really didn't mind what he did in Intruder.

I always thought that Ted Raimi's death scene in particular was really funny.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:44:49 PM by Torgo » Logged

DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 09:07:04 PM »

Scott Spiegel's style usually drives me nuts and makes me want to shut the movie off ASAP (like in the case of From Dusk Till Dawn) but I really didn't mind what he did in Intruder.

I fully agree.  Spiegel's obsession with unique camera perspectives have come to replace 99% of his shots.  In Intruder, they seem to account for maybe just 10% or so.

On a side note, it was Scott Spiegel that helped get Quentin Tarantino into the movie business.  Over lunch, they discussed among other things, Intruder, which Tarantino adored.  The two hit it off and shortly thereafter, Quentin sold his first script:  From Dusk Till Dawn.

++josh;
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:16:22 PM »

Scott Spiegel's style usually drives me nuts and makes me want to shut the movie off ASAP (like in the case of From Dusk Till Dawn) but I really didn't mind what he did in Intruder.

I always thought that Ted Raimi's death scene in particular was really funny.

I have yet to see any other films that Spiegel has directed.  His direction in Intruder wasn't bad in particular but did become annoying after a point.  It was interesting to begin with, but just got silly after a point.

How exactly did Ted die?  As I said it's been a few months since I watched it and the main kill that I recall was the box crusher.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 02:46:40 PM »

How exactly did Ted die?  As I said it's been a few months since I watched it and the main kill that I recall was the box crusher.

Tedd is chopping something with a big knife while listening to his walkman/headphones.  They keep showing closeups of his hand with the knife going way back in the air behind his head and then coming down. The last shot is actually the killer's hand and the knife comes down in the back/top of his head.

What makes it funny is the little touch of his headphones getting cut in half during the process and each half dropping off either side of his head.    TeddyR 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Intruder (1989) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.