Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:56:29 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HOT FUZZ Wal Mart exclusive bonus DVD FYI « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HOT FUZZ Wal Mart exclusive bonus DVD FYI  (Read 4778 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 31, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »

If any of you were like me and lamenting the fact that Universal left off over half of the extras from the British DVD of Hot Fuzz for the region 1 standard DVD release, Wal Mart has an exclusive bonus disc that is exactly the same as the 2nd disc of the British SE DVD.  There's over 3 hours of extra content on the bonus DVD.

But the problem I ran into today is that like the buffoons that Universal/Wal Mart are, they've only packaged it with the FULL FRAME DVD of Hot Fuzz.  If you want to buy the widescreen version like I did, you are out of luck.................... or are we?   TeddyR

Being the spineless managers that they all are, I argued with the store manager today after waiting for about a half hour about that I wanted to buy the widescreen DVD but be allowed to get one of the bonus discs out of the full frame 2 pack.

He said that he couldn't do that as they were sent to them like that and it would be "illegal" for him to break open the 2 pack to give me the bonus disc.

I've learned in terms of dealing with Wal Mart managers that they'll always give you what you want if you haggle with them long enough.   After I politely argued with him for a while, he said that he would sell me the 2 pack for half price (10 dollars).  I told him that wasn't any good.  He then said that he would sell me the full frame 2 pack for 5 dollars.

I then proceeded to tell him that I would only pay at the most a single dollar for the FF 2 pack to get the bonus disc. He then proceeded to tell the cashier at customer service to sell me the widescreen DVD of Hot Fuzz for a sale price of 17.99 (to match Circuit City) and then to mark down the price of the full frame 2 pack to a single dollar.

I was happy and as I was pulling out of the parking lot it dawned on me that I had a sealed copy of the full frame version now as well.  So on my way to work today, I took it to the Wally World on the way to my job and traded it in at customer service for a gift card. They gave me the full 19.99 for it as well.    TeddyR

So I went and got the new DVD of 300 that was on sale today for 13.99 and then filled up my gas tank with the remainder on the gift card.  So I got 42 dollars worth of stuff for 19.   TeddyR  Cheers

If you pair the bonus disc of Hot Fuzz with the main widescreen disc, you're only missing 3 commentary tracks that were on the British version (and are on the HD DVD release as well.) 

The bonus thing on the widescreen DVD though is that there's an exclusive region 1 featurette called Fuzzball Theory that is about a half hour in length that shows the 3 main people involved in the movie doing a whirlwind 15 day press junket/preview screening tour of the US.  You also get the commentary track with the writer/director/star and you also get outakes on disc 1 as well as deleted scenes.

So anyway, just press the issue with the manager if you want the bonus disc without having to pay full for the FF two pack and I don't see why you couldn't get it.   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:49:09 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 06:34:14 PM »

So, you were able to return the fullscreen copy for the 19 bucks?

I'm considering picking up both the 2 disc set and the widescreen version and then taking the fullscreen back for the 19.00 - therefore getting the extras for free.

I don't have the patience to argue with Walmart management about the two disc set.  I'd rather just buy both sets and send the fullscreen back.  The reason why I questioned it was because I was wondering if the UPC for the fullscreen would show up as the two disc set in their systems.  I'd hate to buy the set, take it back and not be able to because of that.

I actually went to Best Buy with all intent of buying Hot Fuzz.  I couldn't find it and asked a rep for help.  He couldn't find it either and looked it up in their systems.  He said the only copy they carried was the fullscreen version.  Even he was shocked.  He then tried to sell me Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz for 20 bucks.  I turned it down as I already have Shaun and I can't deal with a fullscreen disc.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:11:01 PM »

Sounds like you got a good deal there Torgo.

They should get rid of fullscreen completely. 
Pan and Scan is horrible.

I do have a few fullscreen DVD's but only because they aren't offeren in widescreen format.
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:48:05 PM »

So, you were able to return the fullscreen copy for the 19 bucks?

Yeah, that's what I did.  Though the store manager sold me the 2 pack for a single dollar as he got sick of dealing with me.

I guess you could just pay full price for the full frame and then take it back to another store and get your money back on that by trading it back in. 

Torgo

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:49:53 PM »

I don't have the patience to argue with Walmart management about the two disc set.  I'd rather just buy both sets and send the fullscreen back.  The reason why I questioned it was because I was wondering if the UPC for the fullscreen would show up as the two disc set in their systems.  I'd hate to buy the set, take it back and not be able to because of that.

I just pealed off the UPC that they had put on the outside of the plastic and the regular UPC for the full frame DVD was underneath. It came up just a regular Hot Fuzz FF DVD when the customer service lady scanned it. 

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 09:53:12 PM »

I just pealed off the UPC that they had put on the outside of the plastic and the regular UPC for the full frame DVD was underneath. It came up just a regular Hot Fuzz FF DVD when the customer service lady scanned it. 

That is exactly what I needed to know Torgo.  I seriously appreciate this.  Keeps me from having to import a R2 disc just for the special features.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 09:55:35 PM »

That is exactly what I needed to know Torgo.  I seriously appreciate this.  Keeps me from having to import a R2 disc just for the special features.

This way you're only missing out on 3 commentary tracks from the British DVD but you get the one with Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg on it which is the best one from the reviews that I've read.

The R1 DVD has the Fuzzball Theory 30 minute documentary on it though about their escapades on the US press junket on it which is exclusive to the US release so that makes up for that.

I've been wading through the extras on the bonus disc for the last couple of days. There's literally over 3 hours of stuff on it.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HOT FUZZ Wal Mart exclusive bonus DVD FYI « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.