Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:37:49 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Heads or Tails? « previous next »
Poll
Question: You call it...Heads or Tails?
Heads - 5 (55.6%)
Tails - 4 (44.4%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Heads or Tails?  (Read 5833 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: July 31, 2007, 08:07:47 AM »

If you've ever flipped a coin to make a decision, what do you usually call?

Take a coin out of your pocket and flip it.
I call Tails.

Got any interesting coin toss stories?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 09:25:19 PM by Ash » Logged
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:24:33 AM »

Always bet tails*.  The odds of a toss coming up tails is approximately 2:1.  This is because the head side weighs more, so it will land down more often than not.  I love being a physics dork!  TeddyR

*  This is at least the case on older quarters.  Some of the state-specific quarters have a different balance.

++josh;
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:11:29 AM »

Always bet tails*.  The odds of a toss coming up tails is approximately 2:1.  This is because the head side weighs more, so it will land down more often than not.  I love being a physics dork!  TeddyR

*  This is at least the case on older quarters.  Some of the state-specific quarters have a different balance.

WHAT? Buggedout

The probability of getting heads or tails is roughly 50/50 regardless of old or new quarters. State quarter, Standing Liberties, per 1963 silver, copper clap or worn.

Now to be 100% fair there is an extremely SLIGHT chance that one side will prevail over the other and that is purely based on which side was facing up when the coin was flipped.

So according to mathematicians from Stanford University and the University of California, Santa Cruz. For a coin toss to be truly random, they say, you have to flip the coin into the air so that it spins in just the right way.

Most of the time, though, the coin doesn't spin perfectly. It might tip and wobble in the air. Sometimes it doesn't even flip over.

In experiments, the researchers found that it's practically impossible to tell from watching a tossed coin whether it has flipped over. A tossed coin is typically in the air for just half a second, and a wobble can fool the eyes, no matter how carefully you watch.

To see how wobbling affects the outcome, the researchers videotaped actual coin tosses and measured the angle of the coin in the air. They found that a coin has a 51 percent chance of landing on the side it started from. So, if heads is up to start with, there's a slightly bigger chance that a coin will land heads rather than tails.

When it comes down to it, the odds aren't very different from 50-50. In fact, it would take about 10,000 tosses for you to really notice the difference.

So heads I win, tails you lose. TeddyR

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20040228/fob2.asp

DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:34:32 AM »

Apples and oranges.  TeddyR

The data you're quoting, based on experiments conducted by (then Harvard) statistician Persi Diaconis, does not incorporate or explain the physics of the "bounce".  It's true the short height of a coin toss renders any gravitational wobble moot.  But I let my coins hit the ground.  TeddyR

++josh;
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 11:02:25 AM »

If you're the type of person who does a lot of "heads or tails" decision making with people, the rule is to cheat and get a double-sided tails quarter. If you give the other person the option of choosing, they can't say you cheated and 80% of people call heads when given the choice. Don't ask me where I heard that, my long term memory is starting to resemble my short term memory...

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 11:31:55 AM »

80% of people call heads when given the choice. Don't ask me where I heard that, my long term memory is starting to resemble my short term memory...

It's because there is less work in getting 'head' than it is in getting 'tail'

raj

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:36:40 PM »

80% of people call heads when given the choice. Don't ask me where I heard that, my long term memory is starting to resemble my short term memory...

It's because there is less work in getting 'head' than it is in getting 'tail'

Bada - bing.

I usually call heads, and have gotten pretty good at flipping the coin.  I'll also roll a die sometimes, especially If I've got multiple choices -- like which movie to watch that night.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »

So are we scraping the bottom of the barrel for poll topics here, or what???  Lookingup

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 03:34:55 PM »

So are we scraping the bottom of the barrel for poll topics here, or what???  Lookingup

No, that's just Ash.  He always has random thoughts that lead to all sorts of weird posts - from him and others responding.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Torgo

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 04:11:19 PM »

Heads.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 08:42:38 PM »

Ok...I flipped it. I called heads-and I won!!!! YAY!  So...what do I do now?  Question

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 09:27:06 PM »

Ok...I flipped it. I called heads-and I won!!!! YAY!  So...what do I do now?  Question

Do the Happy Dance!   hot
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 09:58:58 PM »

OK! I need Happy Dance Music! 1 2 3 4----!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvzL4gF2Lyk

hot  hot  hot  hot  hot  hot

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Heads or Tails? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.