Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:09:37 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "THIS IS THE ZODIAC SPEAKING..." « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "THIS IS THE ZODIAC SPEAKING..."  (Read 26988 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 10:20:33 PM »

I'll pick up the special edition. 

That's one thing I hate about dvd's.  You buy one, then over the next year, 15 different versions come out, all with different special editons.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »

I'll pick up the special edition. 

That's one thing I hate about dvd's.  You buy one, then over the next year, 15 different versions come out, all with different special editons.

I'm with you on that one. Unless they come out with a mega stocked edition right out of the DVD gate, I usually just hold out for the inevitable double dip on down the road.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 10:29:52 PM »

I usually hold off on dvd's for a while, unless it's something I know I'll buy again if a special one comes out (but usually, I don't.)

Like Clerks.  I went to buy it, but saw a 10th Anniversary thing was coming out, so I just bought that instead.

And, there's like, 15 versions of the Wizard of Oz, which boggles my mind. 

Although, I liked Return to Oz.  Gotta find that dvd.

Torgo

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 10:31:38 PM »

I usually hold off on dvd's for a while, unless it's something I know I'll buy again if a special one comes out (but usually, I don't.)

Like Clerks.  I went to buy it, but saw a 10th Anniversary thing was coming out, so I just bought that instead.

And, there's like, 15 versions of the Wizard of Oz, which boggles my mind. 

Although, I liked Return to Oz.  Gotta find that dvd.

The 10th anniversary edition of Clerks is fantastic. The old DVD was just a port of the old Miramax laser disc.

I got the last DVD of Wizard of Oz in which they finally got the picture quality right. I'm sure that they're going to be coming out with blu-ray/HD versions now but I'm not buying into the whole HD thing until one format comes out a clear cut winner.   

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »

I'm not diving into the Blue-Ray/HD thing for a few more months at least. 

As far as Clerks, I have the video cassette that I bought maybe 5 years ago that I haven't watched since I bought it, mainly because of the 3 disc dvd I have.  Only problem I have is that I have the original discs of Mallrats and Chasing Amy, and Mallrats just had a special edition dvd.  Only thing on that I'd be interested in is the Q&A.  Beyond that, I don't need the 10th Ann. disc.

I liked the Wizard of Oz, and was gonna get one of the dvd's, but didn't know which version to get, the 2-Disc or 3-Disc. 

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 11:03:08 PM »

I'm not diving into the Blue-Ray/HD thing for a few more months at least. 

As far as Clerks, I have the video cassette that I bought maybe 5 years ago that I haven't watched since I bought it, mainly because of the 3 disc dvd I have.  Only problem I have is that I have the original discs of Mallrats and Chasing Amy, and Mallrats just had a special edition dvd.  Only thing on that I'd be interested in is the Q&A.  Beyond that, I don't need the 10th Ann. disc.

I liked the Wizard of Oz, and was gonna get one of the dvd's, but didn't know which version to get, the 2-Disc or 3-Disc. 

I have the opposite problem.  I have the special edition of Mallrats and the Criterion discs of Chasing Amy and Dogma.  I also have Jersey Girl (guilty pleasure) and Clerks 2.  Sadly, I still have the original DVD release of Clerks which as Torgo mentioned is a port of the laserdisc.  I need to get around to picking up that Clerks X disc but keep forgetting to do so.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 11:07:27 PM »

Jersey Girl gets entirely way too much flack in my opinion.  It's no Clerks, but I've seen many more movies which are certainly worse.  It's a change of pace for him, and I give him credit for trying something a little different.

But it's not my favorite of his either.

Torgo

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »

Kevin Smith is supposed to be still planning a director's cut of Jersey Girl to be released that restores something like 20 to 25 minutes of footage.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 11:00:19 PM »

I like Kevin Smith, but he sure pimps out dvd's like there's no tomorrow. 

Jersey Girl was decent enough, but I don't think the extra 20 minutes will help it's cause anymore.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 07:18:26 PM »

I watched this the other night I'd say it's a good 8.5 out of 10.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 09:28:20 AM »

Possible Spoilers!

I finally got around to seeing this one the other night and I have to say that I'm highly impressed.

The only problem I had was that I kept expecting the film to take a Hollywood turn.  I kept expecting Graysmith to have a showdown with the Zodiac at some point, despite the fact that I knew that never happened.  I just knew that the film wouldn't make it out without some type of studio intervention to "punch it up".

Surprisingly, it had nothing of the sort.

I love the attention to detail that the film provides.  During the first murder, the Zodiac stops his car right behind his first victims and sits there for a moment.  I turned to my wife and said "No!  They got it wrong!  He didn't kill them initially!  He drove away and then came back to make the kill!".  I was disappointed.  I knew that they had gotten one of the facts wrong and it was going to bug me for the rest of the night.

As soon as I told my wife that, the Zodiac drove off exactly as he did in real life.  There's also little gems here and there throughout the film that lend a strong sense of reality.  You know that what you are watching actually took place, and you don't feel at any point that the director is making anything up as he goes.

I'm a huge David Fincher fan, with the exception of Alien 3, and I feel that his direction here was amazing.  That shot of the taxi from above is pure genius and the scene with Graysmith and Vaughn in the basement had me on edge despite knowing that nothing would happen. 

I do feel that the film leaned quite heavily towards Arthur Leigh Allen as the Zodiac.  That's understandable being as he has always been the main suspect, but I have some doubt as to who the killer was.  Sure, Allen fit the profile but so did numerous others.  Not only that, but the Zodiac was supposedly a military man with a crewcut and glasses.  Allen could have ditched the glasses, sure.  He was a military man, that is correct.  Allen didn't exactly have enough hair for a crewcut though.  These are just minor complaints, as most everything else about the guy fit the bill.

I loved John Carroll Lynch's portrayal of Allen in the film.  The scene with him being interviewed by the police is fantastic.  Also, his meeting with Graysmith at the end of the film is quite good as well.  You know at that point that the film is doing all but flat out telling you that Allen was the Zodiac.

After watching the film I started to wonder just why the Zodiac is so fascinating to all of us.  He wasn't especially smart, his cryptos were basic and he stole his iconic symbol and name from a watch manufacturer.  Is it because he never got caught?  Is it because of his theatrical style of calling the police, wearing a costume and writing the dates of murders on a car to prove he was the Zodiac?

Anyway, I loved the film.  I've read numerous books about the murders in the past and the film held true to every single fact that I had read.  My wife on the other hand didn't care for the film that much.  She was knitting while watching the film and I had to stop the film on occasion to explain what was going on.  It's certainly a film that commands your attention and missing one line of dialog can throw you out of the story.

10/10

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 03:42:40 AM »

Glad you liked it Skaboi... Thumbup

« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 04:47:37 AM by Ash » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "THIS IS THE ZODIAC SPEAKING..." « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.