Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:22:25 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I Robot « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I Robot  (Read 12032 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: August 03, 2007, 10:57:27 AM »

I have to admit I liked this film and I have been watching it on television lately.  I know it follows the whole "man vs. machine" plot line but I think the film gives a fresh perspective on the subject.  That and Will Smith doesn't really act like Will Smith in the movie which is refreshing.  How do you folks feel about this film?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 11:03:56 AM »

I think it's an enjoyable action movie, but at the same time Isaac Asimov is rolling in his grave.  It's based on his work literally in name only.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 01:02:09 PM »

I have to admit I liked this film and I have been watching it on television lately.  I know it follows the whole "man vs. machine" plot line but I think the film gives a fresh perspective on the subject.  That and Will Smith doesn't really act like Will Smith in the movie which is refreshing.  How do you folks feel about this film?

Actually I thought that Will Smith did act like Will Smith which was my only problem with this movie. The other actors in the film were making a serious sci-fi thriller like Minority Report. Will Smith played his role as if he was making Men in Black 3. It just wasn't a good fit for me. Wesley Snipes would have been a much better choice to play that role.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 01:07:22 PM »

Actually I thought that Will Smith did act like Will Smith which was my only problem with this movie. The other actors in the film were making a serious sci-fi thriller like Minority Report. Will Smith played his role as if he was making Men in Black 3. It just wasn't a good fit for me. Wesley Snipes would have been a much better choice to play that role.

Yup it was the "Awww, hell naw!" that kills it for me.  I hope that he doesn't do anything like that in "I Am Legend".

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:08:21 PM »

I think it's an enjoyable action movie, but at the same time Isaac Asimov is rolling in his grave.  It's based on his work literally in name only.

yeah the actual I Robot book was a collection of several short stories as told by Susan Calvin who in the book was an old woman. It would have been interesting to see a more faithful depiction of the book. There was one story set on Mercury that would have been interesting to see.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 01:20:46 PM »

Yup it was the "Awww, hell naw!" that kills it for me.  I hope that he doesn't do anything like that in "I Am Legend".

See I thought the Will Smithness was toned down a bit for this movie and he wasn't that bad. Still I can see where you're coming from though. 

DarkSider's Realm

Torgo

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:42:42 PM »

I saw "I Robot" in theaters and I give it a *** out of ****.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
TheAtomicAndrew
Dedicated Viewer

I'm not this big, I'm just in the foreground

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »

It was okay, I suppose.  I have to admit that the blatant product placement offered an unintentional humorous distraction.  There were times where I was gripped/stunned, but to me at least, it didn't have a repeat quality.  If I watch it again, it'll probably be on TV when I'm not doing anything in particular.

Pull Da Stringks!  Pull Da Stringks!  Bevare!  Bevare of the Big Green Dragon That Sits On Your Doorstep!  He Eats Little Boys...Puppy Dog Tails...and BIG FAT SNAILS!
IzzyDedjet
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 11:32:13 AM »

I know people who've met Isaac Azimov and every one of them has said the same thing.
He was a total ass.  Pompous and self-absorbed. 
These are opinions coming from fellow MENSA members.  People who met him at meetings and things like that.
Umm...I got nothing to really contribute to this thread, so I'll go away now.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 07:09:51 PM »

I actually really like this film, and I like the idea of movies loosely based on some of the ideas a story (or stories) revolved around.

I mean people complain that I, Robot isn't accurate to the book, but the book is a series of short stories which have nothing to do with each other anyways - the movie shares what each of the stories share with each other, the 3 laws of robotics.

Cool stuff. I liked it a lot.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 09:13:51 PM »

I was actually watching Bicentennial Man the other day and it involves the three rules of robots.  I kind of forgot about that. 

DarkSider's Realm

GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 11:42:43 PM »

I hate to go off on a tangent, but the following deserves a rebuttal:

I know people who've met Isaac Azimov (sic) and every one of them has said the same thing.
He was a total ass.  Pompous and self-absorbed.  These are opinions coming from fellow MENSA members.  People who met him at meetings and things like that.

WTF?  I've never met or talked to The Good Doctor (as he is known to those who know him), but by all accounts the above could not be more wrong.  One must remember that simply being a member of MENSA does not make one always right.

Some excerpts from WikiPedia:

"Asimov was a long-time member and Vice President of Mensa International, albeit reluctantly; he described the members of that organization as "intellectually combative". He took more joy in being president of the American Humanist Association."

"Asimov was a frequent fixture at science fiction conventions, where he remained friendly and approachable. As noted above, he patiently answered tens of thousands of questions and other mail with postcards, and was pleased to give autographs."

"In his last autobiographical book, Asimov wrote, "If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul." "

On a personal level, whenever I read any nonfiction written by him where he actively communicates with the reader, I always get a feeling of what a really nice man he seemed, and if more people were like him the world would be a much better place.

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 05:47:30 AM »

I was actually watching Bicentennial Man the other day and it involves the three rules of robots.  I kind of forgot about that. 
Yeah that movie's actually an adaptation of one of the short stories in I, Robot.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 07:41:24 AM »

I enjoyed the heck out of that movie.  I thought Will Smith was really good in the role, bringing the right amount of humor to it without going too overboard.  I dunno, I get a kick out of the guy.  Some of the special effects were a bit weak, like when that big robotic truck was trying to kill Smith, but the cheesiness gave it a certain 1980s feel whick I kind of liked.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 04:51:51 PM »

WTF?  I've never met or talked to The Good Doctor (as he is known to those who know him), but by all accounts the above could not be more wrong.  One must remember that simply being a member of MENSA does not make one always right.
Some excerpts from WikiPedia:

The wikipedia is NOT the most reliable source, especially for this type of information. What's worse, is that you are trying to pass someone's opinion off as fact. True, IzzyDedjet's proclamation is also opinion, but, as death has a way of making men into martyrs, I would take that wikipedia entry with the same scrutiny I would any other entry, maybe more.

I personally have met several Mensa members in my liftime, and the only one I encountered that was NOT an ass, was Ebolamonkeyman. Weird, but NOT an ass, and I've not met him in person, only through emails have we conversed.

Just my experiences. . 

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I Robot « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.