Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:02:05 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  China tells living Buddhas to obtain permission before they reincarnate « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: China tells living Buddhas to obtain permission before they reincarnate  (Read 3504 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: August 04, 2007, 05:21:17 PM »

You just can't make this stuff up ...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article2194682.ece

I want to know how they are going to enforce unlawful reincarnation?

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 08:31:34 PM »

I'm no Buddhist but I do believe in religous freedom!!!  China might make gizmos that are bought the world over, but its government is still a gang of bullies and thugs.  I think we need to quit fooling around and send Rosie O'Donnell over there to straighten them out!!!  hot

OK, maybe "straighten" isn't the best word in that context . . . . . . Lookingup

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 08:45:21 PM »

I haven't read the article, but I would guess this has something to do with the Chinese occupation of Tibet, another attempt to control the Buddhists there.  I'm not religious myself but I also strongly support people's rights to believe whatever they like so long as they don't force it on anyone else or harm anyone because of it, and things like this make me mad.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 09:48:52 PM »

You just can't make this stuff up ...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article2194682.ece

I want to know how they are going to enforce unlawful reincarnation?

Apparently they are sending them back... Buggedout

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 01:39:38 AM »

I'm not religious myself but I also strongly support people's rights to believe whatever they like so long as they don't force it on anyone else or harm anyone because of it, and things like this make me mad.

Tenzin Gyatso, the current Dalai Lama, is a bit removed from the peaceful ideals of Buddhist doctrine.  Lama-run Tibet was something akin to a medieval caste system, with the elite clergy in power.  Rights of the citizens were so neglected that critics relate it to slavery, not serfdom.  The legal system was strict and indifferent, including both corporal and capital punishment.  Tibetans did not have freedom of religion.  Once ousted, the Lama's administration was given $1.7M per year by the CIA to train and coordinate guerrilla attacks in China.

China isn't perfect.  In fact, in many respects it sucks.  But in my opinion it sure as hell beats serfdom.

British journalist Christopher Hitchens wrote an informative (albeit biased) article on the subject back in 1998.  You can read it here.  It's as good a place as any to start.

++josh;
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 11:56:07 AM »

Yeah, evidently for the most part, living standards have risen considerably since the takeover.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  China tells living Buddhas to obtain permission before they reincarnate « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.