Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:37:08 PM
714252 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Whatever happened to the Hellraiser remake? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Whatever happened to the Hellraiser remake?  (Read 2438 times)
skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 29, 2011, 07:06:32 AM »

A couple of years back there was a lot of buzz that Clive Barker was rebooting the Hellraiser franchise with a new storyline and complete makeover of the Cenobites. It sounds like a winner so what happened to it?

Babies taste best.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »

It's been tied up in Development Hell ever since. Last I heard they were looking for a new director cuz whoever had been on board decided to bail.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
claws
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:25:16 AM »

It's been tied up in Development Hell ever since. Last I heard they were looking for a new director cuz whoever had been on board decided to bail.

Pretty much the same happen to the Suspiria and The Entity remakes. Two more I was looking forward too for years.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »

Not sure what's up with the remake.  However, I did find this trailer:
Small | Large

Hellraiser: Revelations.  Apparently it's the ninth film in the series, and they had an incredibly low budget.  So low, in fact, that even though it's part of the previous series, they couldn't even get Doug Bradley to be Pinhead.  Some new guy is playing him.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »

Has that "Revelations" flick officially been released? As I understood it, they had to throw that together mainly so they wouldn't lose their rights to the "Hellraiser" saga by a certain date. Kinda like how Roger Corman's company barfed out that quickie "Fantastic 4" movie back in the 90s, then put it on the shelf.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »

Has that "Revelations" flick officially been released? As I understood it, they had to throw that together mainly so they wouldn't lose their rights to the "Hellraiser" saga by a certain date. Kinda like how Roger Corman's company barfed out that quickie "Fantastic 4" movie back in the 90s, then put it on the shelf.
I don't think it was officially released.  Think it played in one theater in like, Arizona for two days at a test screening.  And yeah, they only did it cause the rights were almost out and it needed to be made cause they're still working on the remake.

Archivist

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:18:15 AM »

How do such arrangements go, that a studio must make a movie within a particular time period to retain hold of the rights to do so?  How does that work, exactly?  I heard that a similar arrangement was in place for the makers of the X-Men movies.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 09:58:56 AM »

How do such arrangements go, that a studio must make a movie within a particular time period to retain hold of the rights to do so?  How does that work, exactly?  I heard that a similar arrangement was in place for the makers of the X-Men movies.
Not entirely certain, but this is taken from Wikipedia:
"When producers option a script, they are purchasing the right to buy certain rights to intellectual property. A typical option fee is 10% of the cost of the rights, should the producers manage to secure full financing for their project and have it "greenlit". Because few projects actually manage to be greenlit, options allow producers to reduce their loss in case a project does not come to fruition. Should the project be greenlit, an option provides a legally-binding guarantee to purchase the film rights.

The contract for an option will specify the length of time it is valid for. If the producer cannot have their project greenlit in the specified window of time (e.g. two years), the option will expire. The rights holder can then put the previously-optioned rights up for sale again. Or, the contract may allow the producer to renew the option for a certain price."

My guess is that the rights to the Hellraiser series was about to run out, however, the film studio may have a stipulation in the contract that if a film was made by the end of 2011, they would get to keep said rights for the forseeable future.  Even if the film becomes a straight-to-dvd film, it still falls within the category, since it was a produced film.  Had the film not been made, the holders of the original copyright, I'm guessing Clive Barker and whomever else, could've then shopped the series around to other studios for a higher price.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Whatever happened to the Hellraiser remake? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.