Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:41:32 AM
714147 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wanna know how those SciFi originals get made? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wanna know how those SciFi originals get made?  (Read 3674 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: August 07, 2007, 06:32:40 PM »

I posted this a long time ago and it's a three year old article, but they are still using the same formula.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/scifi.html

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 07:42:54 PM »

Gee,and I always thought they used duct tape and baling wire!  BounceGiggle

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »

Trek, great article. I usually lack the patience to read anything over three paragraphs long, but I couldn't pull myself away! Heh heh.  Thumbup

So, when are they going to get around to making HyoteWink

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 08:50:37 PM »

I figure it's something I really don't want to know, like how they make hotdogs.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 09:27:35 PM »

While a great article nonetheless, I still think that those guys are completely disillusioned as to what they are actually releasing onto the movie watching public with these Sci Fi channel original movies.

I attribute the majority of the problem due to how every low budget filmmaker has access to CGI now and will use that instead of old school practical effects, which is why the old monster movies are so good and cheesy to behold.    And most of the time the CGI in these Sci Fi flicks ends up looking like a poor PS2 game (or even worse a crappy PS1 game like the somewhat recent Raptor Island).   I can't stand crappy CGI.  But I have a fondness for crappy old school animatronics and puppetry and the like.

Those old monster movies have a charm that still resonates to this date because these people went into remote locations, set up cameras, put a guy in a crappy monster suit and made a movie, lots of time without a logical script. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 05:56:29 AM »

I figure it's something I really don't want to know, like how they make hotdogs.

(chokes on coffee)  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:03:41 AM »

Wow.  Anyone else find it almost blasphemous that the president of SciFi channel is (was??) named Hammer?

One more thing: seven acts? Is this the natural evolution of the MTV style of film-making?  With a run time of 88 minutes, that's a bit over 12 minutes per act.  Not a lot of depth there, huh?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 07:10:08 AM »

The point that shouldn't be lost here is the number of people watching these things. Getting 1.5 to 2 million viewers is damned good ratings for a cable channel.

They get ratings and the things are cheap to produce and when you figure that one episode of the Stargate shows costs $1.6 million to make Scifi is getting a helluva bargain. So don't expect them to quit making them anytime soon.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 07:21:55 AM »

So the stuff they were buying was actually worse than the stuff they are producing? Impressive.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 07:53:15 AM »

I think the thing they're overlooking is that the good B-movies of the past had likable characters and an interesting plot that had some suspense to it.  Two things that are almost never seen in Sci-Fi originals.  They go on and on about stuff being a metaphor for something else, good grief.  Anything can be a metaphor for anything, the vast majority of people don't even notice that crap.  I mean, Stephen Hawking revises his theory about information being able to escape from a black hole, and these goofs come up with a monster coming out of a black hole...as a metaphor?  Huh...what? 

Bottom line is that a good bad movie has good characters and a good story, not bargain basement CGI every 7 minutes.  And it needs boobs, another thing most of their movies lack in the extreme.  I mean, I realize their movies are made for TV, but they could at least give us a well-endowed babe in a skin-tight T-shirt.  It's not like acting talent is any sort of consideration in their productions.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 08:02:55 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 10:40:24 AM »

I'd rather see a bad movie with some puppet/costume work, rather than CGI/Window's Paintbrush graphics.

I mean honestly, even if the costume's bad, it at least shows some effort than letting a 7 year old use the paintbrush on Windows Paint.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 12:18:12 PM »

I wish they would give the horror movies a break and do some actual Sci-fi movies.
Flangepart

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 04:57:48 PM »

Good movies? GOOD movies?
You....have totaly unrealistic expectations.....
Sci-Fi can eat my galaxy spanning shorts...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Torgo

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 10:09:16 PM »

I've always wondered that as well as to why they call themselves the Sci-Fi channel and yet all of their original movies are horror flicks.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wanna know how those SciFi originals get made? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.