Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:22:46 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)  (Read 16463 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 07, 2007, 10:53:29 PM »

It's quite amazing that Who Framed Roger Rabbit came out 19 years ago.  IMO, it still holds up brilliantly today and it's astonishing that they pulled this flick off before the advant of CGI.

Bob Hoskins is brilliantly dead pan in the lead and who could forget that smoky voice of Kathleen Turner coming out of Jessica Rabbit the 1st time?

I've always loved this movie because it always represented to me a celebration of the golden age of cartoons and why we all love them and will continue to do so until the end of time.

Kids growing up nowadays don't realize how much of a massive deal it was when we get to see Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny on screen together at once.  The fact that the filmmakers were able to get all of the studios to license the use of classic characters is incredible in terms of the sheer legal logistics of it.

I got to see this movie when I was 13 back in theaters in 1988 and it blew my mind.  I got to show it to my 10 year old nephew this past weekend and he just sat transfixed throughoug the whole thing laughing his butt off and having a blast.

They just don't make 'em like this anymore........ Cheers 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 11:43:03 PM »

It's quite amazing that Who Framed Roger Rabbit came out 19 years ago.  IMO, it still holds up brilliantly today and it's astonishing that they pulled this flick off before the advant of CGI.
I've always loved this movie because it always represented to me a celebration of the golden age of cartoons and why we all love them and will continue to do so until the end of time.

I got to see this movie when I was 13 back in theaters in 1988 and it blew my mind.  IThey just don't make 'em like this anymore...
13???  You are a baby!!!  But, what I've cited I really liked.  karma  Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 01:57:33 AM »

Ugh!
I hated, hated, hated Who Framed Roger Rabbit?  
And I'm a guy who likes a good toon/movie.

Maybe it's because I don't like Bob Hoskins' acting.
Maybe it's because I couldn't stand the cartoon characters in it.
Especially Roger Rabbit himself.  He's gotta be one of the worst toon characters ever created.
Kind of a bad rip-off of Bugs Bunny.
Annoying as hell and not funny.
(hey, that rhymes!)

I give Who Framed Roger Rabbit zero stars out of four.  
The film just didn't work for me at all.  Thumbdown
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:08:11 AM »

In the credits, they say that the movie is based off of a book called "The Toontown Murders" (or something like that).  I've been trying to find the book for years and have had no luck...

"Roger Rabbit" was a mind blowing film...This was back when Robert Zemeckis actually made good movies.  I'm sorry, I didn't really like "Cast Away" and "The Polar Express".  Maybe "Beowulf" will change my mind.

Christopher Lloyd getting run over by a steamroller was a little too traumatic to my 10 year old mind at the time...but it still was amazing to see Donald and Daffy on the dueling pianos.   BounceGiggle

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:20:24 AM »

Love love love this movie.

I saw it on VHS when I was maybe 5, back in 1989.  Christopher Lloyd is great, and in many of my favorite movies, this, Back To The Future, Cuckoo's Nest.  Bob Hoskins is great playing in it too.

Plus, Donald and Daffy stole it for me.  They're my two favorites of their respective companies.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 12:40:57 PM »

I heard something a little disturbing about this movie. I heard that there used to be a Jessica Rabit nube scene. EEEEEWWW!!

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 12:54:14 PM »

I heard something a little disturbing about this movie. I heard that there used to be a Jessica Rabit nube scene. EEEEEWWW!!

Supposedly Jessica had a very brief Sharon Stone moment when her skirt twirled up when she fell out of the 'toon taxicab.  There was some debate on if this was deliberate or if someone just forgot to paint in her panties for a couple of frames. 

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 02:54:50 PM »

13???  You are a baby!!!  But, what I've cited I really liked.  karma  Thumbup

Yeah, I was 13 back in 1988 when Roger Rabbit came out.  Can't believe it was that long ago actually.  Even harder to believe that my 20 year high school reunion is coming up in 6 years.   Drink Drink Drink

Like someone else mentioned, the only part that my 10 year old nephew found a bit intense was the part in which Christopher Lloyd gets run over by the steam roller.

That and when his animated eyeballs turn into knives as he's screaming at Bob about when he killed his brother.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 02:57:12 PM by Torgo » Logged

Torgo

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 02:56:48 PM »

Yep, animators would slip stuff like that in as jokes for amuse themselves and they did put a pantyless crotch shot of Jessica as she's tumbling out of the car.  They sinced covered her up for the subsequent video/DVD releases though I think that the original laserdisc release still has that infamous shot.

Torgo

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 02:58:24 PM »

Ugh!
I hated, hated, hated Who Framed Roger Rabbit?  
And I'm a guy who likes a good toon/movie.

Maybe it's because I don't like Bob Hoskins' acting.
Maybe it's because I couldn't stand the cartoon characters in it.
Especially Roger Rabbit himself.  He's gotta be one of the worst toon characters ever created.
Kind of a bad rip-off of Bugs Bunny.
Annoying as hell and not funny.
(hey, that rhymes!)

I give Who Framed Roger Rabbit zero stars out of four.  
The film just didn't work for me at all.  Thumbdown

You're not alone there. I have a best friend who still to this day thinks that it's one of the worst movies ever made.  I've told him that while I respect all opinions of everyone I know, that I still can't quite see what he despises in the movie.

AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 03:00:39 PM »

That and when his animated eyeballs turn into knives as he's screaming at Bob about when he killed his brother.

Sadly, I was too young to get the "staring daggers" joke and didn't realize his eyes were blades. I just thought they were bananas for whatever reason.  TongueOut

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »

I heard something a little disturbing about this movie. I heard that there used to be a Jessica Rabbit nude scene. EEEEEWWW!!

Supposedly Jessica had a very brief Sharon Stone moment when her skirt twirled up when she fell out of the 'toon taxicab.  There was some debate on if this was deliberate or if someone just forgot to paint in her panties for a couple of frames.

Want to hear something really disturbing?  Around 1994 or so my friend Mike bought a new VCR that could advance frame by frame for the express purpose of watching this scene from this movie!   Buggedout  Of course, I joined him in watching it, so I guess I'm a little disturbed as well.

What we saw was one single frame with Jessica's legs spread, and between her legs it was solid black (i.e. no details).  Bluesad

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 08:03:31 PM »

This was like my favorite film when I was just a little kid.  I used to watch it so much that my parents had to take the VHS tape away from me for a long while.  I still love this film in all of it's glory. 
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 08:18:07 PM »

Beside's Jessica's beaver shot, there was also a scene where Valiant and Roger are walking in a back alley, and, in the laserdisc version, the phone number of a whore house can be seen written on the walls. This was another joke by the creative team - the number was actually for Michael Eisner's home phone.TeddyR That was a little tidbit I learned in the sibliminal ad part of my high school marketing class, and you'd be suprised how much the animators (and advertisers) slip in that no one notices. (My teacher even kept a photocopy of the original "Little Mermaid" box art with the "phallic tower" highlighted.)

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 09:27:02 PM »

I loved how everyone got up in arms about Donald Duck calling Daffy a racial slur.  He said nitwit, not the other n-word.

I loved the sword turning into Sinatra in the movie.  Of course, at 5 years old, I didn't know it was Sinatra.  I get it now at 23.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.