Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:50:21 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Downright Creepy kids movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Downright Creepy kids movies  (Read 30478 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2007, 09:32:29 PM »

Has The Adventures of Mark Twain been mentioned yet....?

Regardless of intent, any movie where Satan (personified as a headless man who communicates via an ever-changing theater mask on a stick) creates an entire little civilization and then annihilates it out of spite as three horrified kids look on is pure nightmare fodder.

We watched the film at after-school daycare when I was in living in Texas and (I think) in the third grade. It scared me so badly I actually got up and left the room and refused to watch the remainder of the film. I then proceeded to forget about it for years (although occasionally memories of it would creep up, enough that I was able to search online and find out the title of the movie), but a couple of days ago I stumbled across "the Satan scene" purely by chance on YouTube, and it didn't scare me anymore, and, now that I'm an adult, I'm actually able to comprehend the stuff Satan says (not that this makes it any less disturbing).

The scene is intensely quotable ("I can do no wrong, for I do not know what it is."), and the bit where the king of the little civilization is raging up at Satan in his high, squeaky voice and babbling the incomprehensible language they have, and then just gets zapped out of existence, I found darkly amusing. He's just shaking his fists and going "Dooo-waaaa! Waaa-waaa!" (or some approximation thereof), then ZAP! and he's gone. I couldn't help but giggle. I'm unsure if this was supposed to be funny, or if it's just one of those unintentionally humorous moments countless films are rife with. And considering how dark the scene is both before and after this bit, I'm pretty sure it isn't meant to be funny.
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2007, 05:22:07 PM »

I don't think anyone I know saw FrankenWeenie.  Good little short flick.

That and Vincent are both avilable, in their entirety, as special features on the Nightmare Before Christmas DVD. Good stuff (also, one of the neighborhood kids from Frankenweenie was the brother from the Wonder Years).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 05:25:38 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2007, 08:44:26 PM »

Jason Hervey?

He's like, a producer now.  Produced wrestling for a bit, and now reality shows.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2007, 04:21:57 PM »

Dude, I think I saw the SAME clip you did, only it didn't tell what the show was, just said, "Creepiest kids film ever" or some such.  It certainly looked a bit on the weird side.

Hey, it's on DVD!  May have to get it from Netflix...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2007, 04:43:28 PM »

Regardless of intent, any movie where Satan (personified as a headless man who communicates via an ever-changing theater mask on a stick) creates an entire little civilization and then annihilates it out of spite as three horrified kids look on is pure nightmare fodder.

We watched the film at after-school daycare when I was in living in Texas and (I think) in the third grade. It scared me so badly I actually got up and left the room and refused to watch the remainder of the film. I then proceeded to forget about it for years (although occasionally memories of it would creep up, enough that I was able to search online and find out the title of the movie), but a couple of days ago I stumbled across "the Satan scene" purely by chance on YouTube, and it didn't scare me anymore, and, now that I'm an adult, I'm actually able to comprehend the stuff Satan says (not that this makes it any less disturbing).

The scene is intensely quotable ("I can do no wrong, for I do not know what it is."), and the bit where the king of the little civilization is raging up at Satan in his high, squeaky voice and babbling the incomprehensible language they have, and then just gets zapped out of existence, I found darkly amusing. He's just shaking his fists and going "Dooo-waaaa! Waaa-waaa!" (or some approximation thereof), then ZAP! and he's gone. I couldn't help but giggle. I'm unsure if this was supposed to be funny, or if it's just one of those unintentionally humorous moments countless films are rife with. And considering how dark the scene is both before and after this bit, I'm pretty sure it isn't meant to be funny.

I saw that scene around the same age, but recall being more fascinated than frightened. Stop motion animation is high on the very short list of things I miss about the 80s and I might grab this dvd as well, just to complete another one of those films I'd always catch pieces of on TV but never experienced start to finish.

If I may venture to speculate the 'intent' of this scene; Twain's popularity is both heartening and astounding in the context of all he wrote against kristianists and the other god-bothering masses that dominate so much of American culture. Rather than stir moral outrage with some of his more humanist quotes in a 'kids movie' they hid it in symbolism via this 'Satan' character behaving very much like the old testament Yahweh.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2007, 06:21:07 PM »

Just checked out the Mark Twain scene on YouTube. Freaky.

Anybody else reminded of Woody Boyd in Authors in Hell?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Gwangi
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2007, 07:26:12 PM »

I know this is an old thread, but I so have to post these gems:
1.  All Dogs Go to Heaven- the creepy Cat/Devil at the end.
2.  An American Tale- the Giant Mouse of Minsk was scary.
3.  The Secret of NIMH- the owl
 A lot of early animated films had really creepy elements.
Anyone remember the Unico movies?  That puppet scared the crap out of me
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2007, 09:08:11 PM »

All Dogs Go to Heaven was a decent flick.  And that scene you mentioned is somewhat creepy, from what I remember.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
BlackAngel75
Bad Movie Lover

eject...eject

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »

This is definitely not a kids movie but one movie that shocked and creeped the s**t out of me was Kids.  And Beetlejuice; it's still funny, but it was also scary especially the seance.

We all know Bill is a little nuts, but George has actually tasted them.
-Betty White at the William Shatner Roast
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2007, 07:38:08 PM »

I know this is an old thread, but I so have to post these gems:
1.  All Dogs Go to Heaven- the creepy Cat/Devil at the end.
2.  An American Tale- the Giant Mouse of Minsk was scary.
3.  The Secret of NIMH- the owl
 A lot of early animated films had really creepy elements.
Anyone remember the Unico movies?  That puppet scared the crap out of me

I really do miss the old don bluth movies  Bluesad It's sad to think that no american film will ever use paint animation so well again.

But thus speaking of imports, Unico was both impressive and unsettling. I keep waiting for it to be redistributed on dvd...methinks too few could stomach a mix of such cutsey heros and such evil villains.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Downright Creepy kids movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.