Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:02:29 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  What if the Japanese had done a TMNT anime? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if the Japanese had done a TMNT anime?  (Read 7699 times)
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« on: August 09, 2007, 01:39:25 AM »

As a matter of fact, they did. If you've ever seen much anime, it's pretty much what you'd expect:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSS-Wv5A5uw

This brings the cultural borrowing (and plagiarism) full circle, since it's my understanding the American cartoon is loosely based on the comic books, which were intended as kind of a parody of Frank Miller's comic ROM, which in turn is inspired by the long-running Japanese manga Wolf and Cub.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 08:07:25 AM »

Ah yes, Super Turtles. Heh heh. I bought this thing on DVD a few years ago from a local bootleg store called "The Zone". They sold less-than-professional DVDs of a number of movies that, at the time, had no commercial releases in the US, including a lot of Takeshi Miike stuff, the Lone Wolf and Cub movies, Legend of the Sacred Stones, and a number of anime series like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and this hilarious abomination. Unfortunately it was a two-part OVA and I could only ever find the first part up until The Zone closed down "temporarily"... which became permanently a few months later when a Footlocker moved into the space.

Inya, though the ROM reference fits the clip, are you being serious or is that a joke? Sometimes it's hard to differentiate... heh. Kudos on digging up the clip.  Thumbup

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 08:44:08 AM »

Interesting...I thought there'd be more tentacles in the Japanese version.   BounceGiggle

Once again, this shows that Japan shouldn't steal too much from America (See: the japanese "Spiderman") and on the same token, America shouldn't steal too much from Japan. (See: "Power Rangers", "VR Troopers", "Beetleborgs" and anything in the same vein.)   
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »

I have to see if I can find this.

I'm not a huge anime fan, but I love the Turtles.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »

Inya, though the ROM reference fits the clip, are you being serious or is that a joke? Sometimes it's hard to differentiate... heh. Kudos on digging up the clip.  Thumbup

Actually, looking back through the comic book history book from which I got that tidbit (The Comic Book Heros by Gerard Jones and William Jacob, pages 265 and 278-279), I see I mixed up the title a bit. It was Frank Miller's obscure comic book Ronin that inspired Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird of Mirage Studios to come up with the TMNT as a spoof. All this riffing between cultures gets pretty weird after a while.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:27:02 PM »

I know that Laird and Eastman also took heavily from Daredevil when putting together the Turtles as well. Radioactive chemicals gave Daredevil his heightened senses = Radioactive chemicals turned four pet shop turtles and a rat into humanoid mutants. Daredevil's sensei was named Stick = The Turtles' sensei is named Splinter. The ninja clan who were constantly up Daredevil's ass were the Hand = The ninja clan who are constantly up the Turtles' asses are the Foot. I'm not sure, but it's also possible that Shredder could in some way be influenced by the Gladiator, as both villains have bladed weapons on their hands and wear helmets that obscure their faces.

The thing I never understood about the Turtles though was the need for the eye masks. I could understand the use of elbow and knee pads and even the little strips around the wrists (the very first ninja turtle sketch was of Michaelangelo, who kept his nunchucks secured in his wristband), but it's not like they had civilian mutant turtle identities to hide...

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 05:19:06 PM »

The thing I never understood about the Turtles though was the need for the eye masks. I could understand the use of elbow and knee pads and even the little strips around the wrists (the very first ninja turtle sketch was of Michaelangelo, who kept his nunchucks secured in his wristband), but it's not like they had civilian mutant turtle identities to hide...

I'd always figured the masks were just convenient ways to identify each of the turtles quickly, sort of like those "colors" gangland punks wear: red for Raphael, orange for Michelangelo, blue for Leonardo, and purple for Donatello. Since they all get a lot of face time, it helps the audience for them to have those. What purpose they served in the old black-and-white comics, I don't know.

That whole "What secret identity?" thing was sort of a running gag in the cartoon, where the turtles were shown putting on one transparent disguise after another and somehow getting away with it in spite of being the only known green-skinned residents of New York.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 10:48:53 PM »

I never got the eyemask thing either, especially in the beginning.  Originally they were all red, but then the cartoon happened and the producer was like, "Make different colors."

Eh, it all worked out eventually.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 12:01:11 PM »

Originally the masks were all red, at least on the cover of the comics, they were black and white except the covers. The only way you could tell them apart was the weapons they used. I used to love TMNT when it was just a B&W comic, it was pretty gritty. The TV show pretty much runied it for me. I'd still like to see an animated version of the original turtles, not just the kiddie stuff.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  What if the Japanese had done a TMNT anime? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.