Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:59:42 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  PERFUME - THE STORY OF A MURDERER « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PERFUME - THE STORY OF A MURDERER  (Read 5212 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: August 15, 2007, 08:00:42 AM »

I watched this movie last night and was fascinated, attracted, and repelled by it all at the same time.  It is a big budget, well-written, and lavishly shot film about a young Frenchman in the 1700's with the most acutely developed sense of smell in history.  He experiences the world with his nose and becomes obsessed with  the intoxicating aroma of a young woman . . . but then he accidentally kills her and discovers that the scent fades almost immediately after death!  He apprentices himself to a master perfumer to better learn how to preserve and create scents so he can preserve the aroma of women forever.  Once he learns how to do this he goes about his work with a vengeance, killing 12 young ladies so he can combine their scent to create the most perfect perfume in the history of the world.

This is a bizarre film, and I was somewhat surprised since it is distributed by Dreamworks, a label that normally does pretty wholesome stuff, to find that it is a very dark movie, with a totally amoral main character, strong violence, and lots of nudity (including one sequence at the end that was totally over-the-top in that department).  Yet despite all that, it remained watchable throughout and downright fascinating.  Dustin Hoffman was in it, and so was the actor who plays one of the instructors (Snapes I think) in the Harry Potter films.  In short, this movie was a well-done, surrealistic thriller with some very negative elements that still combined for a strong and watchable story.

Has anyone else seen it?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:40:26 PM »

I meant to catch this while it was in theaters, but I missed out.  I'm going to rent it one of these days, 'cause it looked really odd and interesting.

dean

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:24:50 AM »

This one is based on a novel a friend of mine loves to death.

I quite enjoyed it, but that may have been the fact that I was on a weekend away and relaxing.  Nudity and violence also helped it greatly, though if you're just watching for that you'll be lost for most of the film plot-wise.

In fact, it was very intriguing all the way through: well shot, reasonably acted and had an interesting premise and good cast [DUSTIN!!!]

But what do you think about the ending?  I'm in two minds about it really.

Without giving too much away, I'm not entirely satisfied with how it is resolved, but at the same time I am.  I think it needs another viewing since much wine was consumed the first time, but at the moment I'm swinging towards "I liked the ending" though I remember initially feeling a bit off about it.

Overall I'd give it a 4/5.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:44:52 PM »

I know what you mean.  On the one hand, he was such a merciless amoral character you didn't want him to "get away with it", but on the other hand you felt a strange sympathy for him to be so lonely and emotionless.  So in a way, what happened to him kind of fit in with his strange life.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 07:00:41 PM »

Such a great book that my curiousity outweighs my fear of another adaptation that...... should have been given a differnt name Wink

They've got to stop releasing 3 dozen movies every week, they enter and exit theatres before I even hear they're being made.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Neville

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 08:28:06 AM »

I went to see it the night it opened. It was partially shot in my country, and some of the scenarios sound familiar, specially the plaza at the execution scene. Also, a friend of mine is one of the 800+ people who appear in that scene, although I've never been able to locate her.

My friends, who are enthusiasts of the novel, didn't like it much, but I think it was the best possible adaptation, the source material is very, very wild. The filmmakers deserve kudos if only for the top-notch cast and the risks they took.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  PERFUME - THE STORY OF A MURDERER « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.