Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:22:03 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Book review: They Just Don't Get It « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Book review: They Just Don't Get It  (Read 3185 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 14, 2007, 09:33:59 PM »

I know a lot of people in this group are int he military, so I thought they would be interested in this review I posted on my LJ.

They Just Don't Get It: How Washington Is Still Compromising Your Safety--and What You Can Do About It

Summary: Colonel David Hunt, terrorism expert and former army man, writes us, since 9-11, the government has still done very little to combat the War On Terror, and most of what it has done has been mere window dressing (or worse).  He pulls no punches, talking about the warning signs of terrorism that the American government has ignored for over thirty years, missed opportunities, and general ineptness and how politics and bureaucracy seem to take precedence of our safety.  For instance, after the 9-11 Commission Report was released, Congress went promptly to work-forming a committee to look at the report and make a report ON the report.

The Colonel outlines his solution for the problem of terrorism and offers a plan for victory.

Although very Hawkish in his approach, the Colonel is not a "throw out the Constitution" kind of guy.  He heavily condemns many aspects of the Patriotic Act, feels that the right to a trial should not be taken away from any American citizen, and believes the officers in charge of Abu Ghraib should have been punished along with the lower levels officers who appeared in the photos.

The Colonel also gives advice on what we, the average American citizens of the U.S. can do (besides the worthless current advice given by our government to  "go about your lives" and stockpile duct tape.)

My Thoughts:

This is a MUST read book!  Even though the book will make you mad, will make you groan in despair over the rampant stupidity that exists in the world today and get your blood boiling.  For example, you'll read the government FINALLY sent over Special Forces into the embassies in Iraq to help deal with the terrorists-only to have said Special Forces be told  by the ambassadors that they weren't allowed to leave the building.  You'll read about how many in the Army purchased their OWN materials, and even wrote back to family and friends asking for money to buy things the army should had provided for them (like flak jackets.)  You'll learn how a Marine was kidnapped and murdered within the "Green Zone" of Iraq (a supposedly safe and controlled zone) by men carrying KNIVES because-get this-regulations forbade the Marines from carrying weapons in that area. And on and on...

Although the details are frustrating, the book is necessary for anyone who wants to understand how little is actually being done to protect us..  Hunt pulls no punches, and tells you things in a straight, no nonsense way.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:06:47 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
marian33
New Visitor

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »

After I read your review about this book, I guess this book should be read by all American people. The book was easy to read and full of common sense. The author wrote an excellent book of the challenges facing the US regarding the terrorist threats.

BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:12:39 AM »

After I read your review about this book, I guess this book should be read by all American people. The book was easy to read and full of common sense. The author wrote an excellent book of the challenges facing the US regarding the terrorist threats.

Whoa, blast from the past!  How'd you find this post?  Are you going through all my old works?  I'm flattered!  :)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Book review: They Just Don't Get It « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.