Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:16:20 PM
714381 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Serious Story and warning to parents. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Serious Story and warning to parents.  (Read 3768 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: August 15, 2007, 10:22:12 AM »

Folks I think all the parents here are smart enough NOT to keep a loaded gun in the house or at least a keyed safety lock on them. Monday here in my small community of Farmington, KY a 11 year boy was shot and killed with a loaded shotgun by a neighbor boy. The parents were not home, this is the 3rd death of a child by a loaded gun this year in my general area of W KY, S IL, E MO, NW TN. It's senseless loss of life. We knew of the family, but did not know them and the child was 1 year behind one of mine in school. My daughter knew him as Farmington Elementary is a very small school, it is difficult to explain to her as this is the first time a she has known someone about her age to die.   
The boy that shot him says it was an accident and they thought the gun was unloaded, he is 15 and now he is charged with murder under Kentucky law. Likely to be charged as an adult.

Folks please if you haven't are ready teach your kids or young people you know to ALWAYS treat a gun as if it is loaded, always. And keep them out of reach of children, put a trigger lock on them or keep them locked up. It's just common sense and I hope you folks have it, you seem too.

My wife been up at the school helping the kids try to understand what happened and next week after the kids have worked threw some of their grief. a few of us dads are going to talk to the school about gun safety. This is something that we use to do in school when I was a kid, for some politically correct reason we got away from it and child death from firearm accidents have skyrocketed.

Here are the stories ...

11 year-old Shot to Death in Graves County, Kentucky

15 Year Old Charged with Murder in Graves County, KY

Paducah Mother Reaches Out to Murdered 11-Year-Old's Family

Here's a pic taken last week, the first week of school.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:27:13 AM »

That is just awful.  I tell you, when I was six my Dad took me out and made me shoot his deer rifle at a milk jug.  I hit the jug, but the gun's kick  knocked me over and made me cry.  He took me over to the jug, showed me the damage,  and told me it would put a hole just as big in me or anyone else it hit . . . then said "Son, NEVER point a gun at something unless you're gonna shoot it."  The lesson stuck.  My 12 gage has a trigger lock on it right now.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:56:45 AM »

It's been a tough week around here, Farmington is only about 500 people the school has about 282 kids due to the fact it is the 3rd highest rated school in the state, highest in the district and many of the kids come here from other communities and counties (KY has school of choice, if you pay $500/yr tuition to the school.) The family lived about 4 miles from me which around here is 7 houses down. (6 houses/farms and then that trailer park which really is very well kept.) They haven't released the name of the shooter yet but I think I know who it is and rumor confirms it. Pretty sad as I think he too was a pretty good kid too. It's just really tragic and 2 families lives are changed forever.

Yes, I too have my guns in a large wall gun vault, only I and wife has the combination. With a copy in the safety deposit box just in case. But something so simple as a $15-$20 trigger lock could have prevented all of this and people just don't think. Myself and others have offered to buy trigger locks for any school parent that can't afford one, we have friend that own gun stores that will sell them to us at cost. So hopefully something like this will not happen again. Hindsight is 20/20.

raj

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:58:43 PM »

Terrible shame.  My condolences to the family.

I'm a firm believer in the right to keep and bear arms, but along with that right comes the responsibility to keep them safe.  Even though I live alone I don't keep any of my guns loaded -- ammo and guns are on different floors.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:10:54 AM »

Bluesad That's a very sad story, cheeze: my condolences to the families as well.

I grew up around weapons in what was then Rhodesia, I lived through 13 years of war and my Dad served in both the army and later the police. All of this led me to have a serious respect for weapons of any kind: I am actually scared of them, but would not hesitate to use what I have in order to protect my life and those of others should those lives be threatened.

Crime is spiralling out of control in South Africa ~ they should bring capital punishment back.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:49:09 AM »

I got rid of my guns  after my ex-brother in law shot a guy in the back with a 12 gauge. It bugged my kids out. Now Uncle LeRoy is in prison for life. No use for 'em anymore.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Serious Story and warning to parents. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.