Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:08:01 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Where were you when Elvis died? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Where were you when Elvis died?  (Read 19635 times)
IzzyDedjet
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 02:18:19 PM »

I was about to be 8 years old, sitting on Markie Greene's front porch enjoying my summer vacation.
I'm probably going to blaspheme in a lot of people's eyes here, but I never really liked Elvis.
I'm of one mind with Eddie Murphy.  Elvis couldn't sing or act. 
I can't fault the man for not being able to act.  I can't either.
I CAN, and DO fault him for not being able to sing or play the guitar that he always had.
I do this not to rile anyone up, and not to be contrary.  I fault him for this because he was a musical recording artist and had no real ability to do so.  Much like a large number of today's "artists".
Elvis had one encompassing thing going for him.  His delivery.
His physical delivery need not even be mentioned.  We've all heard mention of Elvis' pelvis and the nick names that accompanied such.
A lot of Elvis' delivery was in his presence.  That's a no brainer.
The rest came from the way he put his songs out.  Much like Johnny Cash (who was actually and literally tone deaf), Elvis could just deliver a song in such a way that you really didn't have much choice but to like it.

Oh well.  Let the flaming begin.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 08:13:28 PM »

Green Island, Toms River, New Jersey: I was at my brother's house, and was staying with them that summer.  I was too young to have been of Elvis' first generation of fans (when I was very young, I grew up listening to The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Lou Christie...) and did not myself discover his many magnificent recordings until the 80s when I got into 50s rock... !  Though I don't care for the movies, I love ELVIS !!    

"Them" being David and Gayle.  They have both left the building since I posted this nearly 8 years ago. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »

I wasn't alive when Elvis was.  But I grew up an Elvis fan.  I can say this...Andy Kaufman made a brilliant Elvis impersonator:
Andy Kaufman Impersonates Elvis Presley and Foreign Man on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show Small | Large

This is probably my favorite Elvis song.  I say 'probably' because it may not be his 'best' but it's one of the first I heard so I'll always hold it highly:
Elvis Presley Jailhouse Rock 1957 colour Small | Large

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 09:16:40 PM »

I wasn't alive when Elvis was.  But I grew up an Elvis fan.  I can say this...Andy Kaufman made a brilliant Elvis impersonator:
Andy Kaufman Impersonates Elvis Presley and Foreign Man on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show

I remember hearing some where that Andy's impression of him was Elvis's favorite one.

I wouldn't be born for a few more years when Elvis died.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2015, 10:26:33 AM »

I've heard that Andy's "Elvis" was Elvis's favorite as well.

I mean, he really does nail it. 

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »

I was seven years old when Elvis died in '77. Most kids my age probably didn't know or care who he was but my Dad was a big fan and I'd heard his records playing around the house my whole life so I was well aware.

On the day the news broke we were on vacation in the Adirondacks in upstate New York, staying in a cabin with my grandparents. There was no TV in the cabin so my Dad found out when he went to town in the morning to pick up the newspapers. I remember my grandma saying it was "such a shame" and she "felt sorry for Elvis." 

We must've been home from vacation by the time his funeral was held, cuz I have vague memories of seeing it on TV, whether it was live as it happened or just a recap on the nightly news, I cannot recall.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »

I was 6, not quite ready to start grade school.  So I was probably sitting around the house in Portland, OR with my mom (dad was working as grocery manager at Fred Meyer department store).  Likely watching game shows or soap operas with mom.  I probably watched the news break about Elvis; I was too young to really comprehend what he meant to the music industry.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 08:17:34 PM »

I wonder if ELVIS would have known of ANDY KAUFMAN since ELVIS died in 1977... and though ANDY was probably doing his imitation by then for a couple of years, I think ANDY did not become part of the mainstream until after ELVIS' death. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »

I wonder if ELVIS would have known of ANDY KAUFMAN since ELVIS died in 1977... and though ANDY was probably doing his imitation by then for a couple of years, I think ANDY did not become part of the mainstream until after ELVIS' death. 
This is true. 

Unless Elvis saw Andy in the clubs or something.  Andy didn't hit the mainstream til around 77, right around when Elvis passed.  A biography on Kaufman on the E! Network stated the Elvis/Andy thing, but that's the only thing I could find.   Question

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 12:11:31 AM »

My parents were together on the day Elvis died, August 16, 1977. It was the summer they met, half a year before they’d defy my grandpa in Ohio and marry, and since it was nearly time for my dad to return to college in New York, they weren’t certain they’d ever see each other again. In the near future would come my father leaving school for a semester and going back to Ireland to ask my grandfather for permission to make his oldest daughter his wife, and since my father was a nice Catholic young man with honorable intentions, my grandfather would consent. But my parents didn’t know all that was ahead, and the day was already heavy enough with sorrows, so when news came that the most famous American in the world had died, it was a big enough event to generate its own depressing energy. My father is known for some of the lines he spontaneously delivers, and that day he let out a biggie, telling my mom, “Elvis’ death will be great for his career.” To which Mom replied, “You’re so evil to say a thing like that.” And they both smiled a moment, despite the gloom of the late-summer evening.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2015, 04:13:25 AM »

I was nine and I remember our local radio stations in what was then Rhodesia playing Elvis songs almost the whole day.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 12:16:38 AM »

But I will never forget what I was doing the day Reagan was shot . . .

Neither will I, cuz I was watching it live as it happened!  Buggedout

I willtoo-I just got back from NYC,and I was living in my Uncle Ron's basement-watched it on a little black+white TV-I thought it was cool.
Elvis? I was 14. I was more upset because Groucho Marx died. Buggedout
I was 14-Elvis? HA! I was into Sabbath and Kiss. I liked old horror films-I liked (and still do like) old Laurel and Hardy,Harold Llyod,The Stooges,Buster Keaton...yup,I'm still drunk.
 Drink
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:38:41 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 08:01:42 AM »

I was 3 when he died and living in Glasgow. So far though the only famous person I can remember where I was when they died has been Freddy Mercury.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »

I've been fighting the urge to say this all day and just can't fight it anymore.

Elvis isn't dead, he just went home.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »

I was a little over two years old when Elvis died.  If I had to guess I was probably taking a nap or just waking up from one when he passed.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Where were you when Elvis died? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.