Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:08:21 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Nightmare Alley (1947) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nightmare Alley (1947)  (Read 5696 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 22, 2008, 10:14:30 AM »

The dark pyschology of mankind is a frequent theme in film noir, but rarely is it explored as deeply as it is here.   Tyrone Power who almost always played the role of a hero, is well cast as an ambitous mentalist (translation:  con artist) at a carnival who comes in to the knowledge of a very effective code used to make people think you can read their minds.  armed with a distracting knowledge of biblical verse and connections in the audience that makes his job easier and more effective, he begins on a mission to fame and fortune full in the knowledge that he is a crook.  His beautiful (relatively) innocent young wife is powerless to stop him as he raises the stakes impossibly high and money and problems comes pouring in.  Yuo can't quite put your finger on it, but there is something very subversive about this.   that chiseling gullible people out of their money isn't a victimless crime or that not everyone who makes you feel better is helping you.  It may be a little allegorical for some but the story isn't unrealistic.  strong writing and unique subject matter make this an easy recommendation. 

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:30:08 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 04:38:26 PM »

Very cool find on that paperback cover, Les.  I love those old pulpy drawings.  Here's the movie poster:

Not nearly as cool in my mind.  Sex is in the foreground in the paperback, moved to the background for the movie poster.  I remember the movie, though I need to see it again.  It's dark, subtly surreal and definitely worth checking out.  Who doesn't like movies with carnival geeks? 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »

they always seem to be escaping though. the geeks

also a word of warning:  the commentary on the DVD is by two bilthering idiots who have nothing to do with the movie and have no clue about it or  any movie
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »

Hey Lester 1/2, thought you might enjoy this.  Spengler mentions NIGHTMARE ALLEY on p. 2 of this Obama bashing article.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:31:28 AM »

thanks.  that essay is intersting but he is really reading an awful lot into some very mundane facts in places.  But I suppose when someones legistlative record is as slight as obama's people are going to speculate like that.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 03:05:03 PM »

I agree, it's a well-worded but poorly-reasoned article.  But pimping NIGHTMARE ALLEY adds to his credibility, IMO.

Dave M
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 08:50:59 PM »

That guy's ex-wife married C.S. Lewis.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »

That guy's ex-wife married C.S. Lewis.

Whose ex-wife?  Lester 1/2jr's?  Wink

Dave M
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 09:55:14 PM »

William Lindsay Gresham
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Nightmare Alley (1947) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.