Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:04:41 PM
714347 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2112087 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10620 on: August 27, 2017, 08:53:17 AM »

"Scream" (1996)

A suburban high school full of hip, wise cracking, self aware teens is plagued by a series of horror-movie-inspired murders in this horror/comedy hit that re-vitalized Wes Craven's career and kick-started a new slasher-film craze. For a while it was trendy for "real" horror fans to hate on "Scream" because of all the late '90s teen-horror badness it inspired, but I had to admit that it's actually aged pretty well.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10621 on: August 27, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »

"XX" (2017)

A slick but disappointing horror anthology consisting of four short stories, all written and directed by women (the film's title refers to females having two "X" chromosomes). All four are well acted and nice looking, but only one really goes anywhere and even that one falls apart well before it ends. The best parts of this flick are the quick, creepy little stop motion animations that separate each segment - they have a cool, scuzzy look (lots of old doll parts and things scuttling around in the dark) like those early Tool music videos. Otherwise, this flick is poop. Avoid!

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10622 on: August 27, 2017, 06:14:20 PM »

"Leprechaun in the Hood" (2000)

Three doofus rappers hope to finance their demo tape by ripping off a local hip-hop mogul (Ice-T). What they don't know is that the secret to the music exec's success is a golden flute stolen from the dreaded Leprechaun. When these wanna-be gangstas accidentally unleash "the Lep" (yes, that's what he calls himself) during their heist, it gets REAL, knum' sayin'?

(even I can't believe I just typed that...)

...so yeah, this fifth "Leprechaun" installment is awful, of course, but in an utterly hilarious kind of way. I have to give Ice-T particular credit, 'cuz even though the movie is totally ridiculous, he still manages to come off like a bad-ass. Respect!

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10623 on: August 28, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »

PERFECT BLUE (1997): A J-pop idol turned actress has a mental breakdown as a stalker harasses her, she begins seeing visions of her younger self, and people around her start turning up dead. Startling anime take on the psychological thriller from the great Satoshi Kon, touching on issues of celebrity worship, feminism, and identity. 4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10624 on: August 30, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »

The toybox - interesting british horror movie that has a fresh look and a lot of life and homemade flair to it. the pacing falters in the more brutal second half and the supernatural magic amulet sort of things that I really liked get tossed asunder. for a while it looked like a crazy cross between tod solondz and Xena the warrior princes or something. seems like the director tried to do too much on his own? I understand there were also problems in production, film getting lost etc

3/5

se7en- what can you say. classic Fincher. Morgan Freemans character could have been a little less perfect but you can't really mess with this one

5/5
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10625 on: August 30, 2017, 10:30:08 PM »

This week I have watched PULSE 2 - it's been a long time since I saw the original, but this wasn't too bad; people disintegrating to piles of ash or melting into puddles of goo after being touched by the dead who have gone before.  Entertaining but forgettable; half a point for the attractive girlfriend character disrobing before melting into black tar.  3/5

LIFE (2017) - Great science-fiction film, brilliantly shot, well cast, set on the international  space station. A probe from Mars brings back a soil sample that contains a single-celled organism.  It grows rapidly in size, intelligence, and lethal will.  Most of the crew perishes as the space station falls apart around them.  The alien life form is not nearly as scary looking as, say, the creatures from ALIEN, but its beauty and innocuous appearance make it all the more menacing.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10626 on: September 01, 2017, 12:36:45 PM »

MYSTERIOUS OBJECT AT NOON (2000): A film crew travels around Thailand, asking the people they meet and interview to participate in creating a story ("exquisite corpse" style). Unfortunately, the tale they come up with, about a crippled boy, his live-in teacher, and an alien, is disjointed and absurd in an uninvolving way; it's only interesting on the slightest formal and intellectual level. A generous 2/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10627 on: September 01, 2017, 08:17:26 PM »

"Dragnet" (1987)

Dan Aykroyd plays the straight-laced nephew of the original Joe Friday and Tom Hanks is his cocky, freewheeling new partner in an affectionate action/comedy riff on the classic '50s and '60s cop show. Funny stuff with lots of quotable bits, also notable for being one of Hanks' last second-banana roles prior to becoming a leading man in his own right.
Fun fact: the closing credit tune "City of Crime" is performed by Aykroyd, Hanks and Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple/Black Sabbath)!

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10628 on: September 02, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »

MST3K: BEING FROM ANOTHER PLANET: A mummy, who is actually an alien (a fact the title cleverly hides) chases after a frat boy who stole his magic crystals. Easily the most boring movie featuring an alien mummy possible; the guys can't do anything with it to make it more than just barely watchable. Host segments are good, however, featuring "tragic moments" porcelain figurines for the depressed grandma and the first appearance of the Holo-Clowns (who will deliver one of the show's funniest bits in the very next episode). Overall this episode is a low point during the series' high point. 2.5/5,

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10629 on: September 02, 2017, 05:58:21 PM »

"His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th" (2009)
Special FX wizard Tom Savini hosts this entertaining documentary that explores the long history and fanatical following of the "Friday the 13th" film series, featuring interviews and commentary from cast members, directors, producers, and pretty much everybody that's ever had anything to do with an "F13" movie. Cool stuff loaded with trivia for horror nerds.

JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #10630 on: September 03, 2017, 01:06:45 PM »

"Alien From The Deep" (1989): Predictable but entertaining shenanigans ensue when a Greenpeace film crew infiltrate a dubiously-run nuclear plant whose operators are dumping waste into an erupting volcano summoning a supersize Xenomorph wannabee.
Entertaining enough fare from the ever-reliable Antonio Margheriti with plenty of Il Maestro's trademark explosive model effects. The finale which 'pays tribute' to the Ripley vs Alien Queen battle from "Aliens" is genuinely worth waiting for and Charles Napier and Luciano Pignozzi put in fun performances.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10631 on: September 03, 2017, 08:38:25 PM »

"Halloween: The Inside Story" (2010)
Cool made-for-TV documentary about the making of John Carpenter's classic slasher film, featuring lots of behind-the-scenes photos, film clips and interviews with the cast and crew that made it happen. Surprisingly in-depth and thorough considering its basic-cable origins.

"Puppet Master" (1989)
A group of psychics meet at an old hotel to mark the passing of one of their colleagues, where they learn that their deceased friend had been messing with the forces of life and death -- by studying the notes of an old French alchemist who once commanded an army of living puppets.
Aside from the charming and cool stop-motion FX, this cult classic from Charles Band's infamous Full Moon Pictures is cheap looking and suffers from a seriously weak script...but enough people rented this one to warrant nearly a dozen sequels over the next 20+ years so most of'em must have liked it a lot more than I did.

claws
« Reply #10632 on: September 03, 2017, 11:16:17 PM »

A Cure for Wellness (2016)

Due to a company's financial problems a young executive is send to Switzerland to retrive a CEO who is resiting in a health spa/resort located in the alps. Upon arrival the young man is involved in an accident and becomes a patient himself at the idyllic but mysterious rehabilitation center. He soon learns about the building's violent past, and discovers disturbing secrets that put him in grave danger.

No doubt A Cure for Wellness is visually stunning, but the plot tends to dip into hot mess territory ever so often. Mixing psychological with traditional horror, and a dash of sci-fi, director Gore Verbinski certainly created something special with plenty of tastefully done icky stuff scenes. Far from great but good enough to watch. Rating: 3/5 (good)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:19:22 PM by claws » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10633 on: September 04, 2017, 09:01:05 AM »

"Cliffhanger" (1993)
Sly Stallone is the leader of a mountain search & rescue team that battles with a gang of plane-crashed bank robbers way at the top of the Rockies.  Nothing here ranks very high on the believability scale but it's got a great cast (incl. John Lithgow as a truly slimy villain), impressive stunt work, and awesome scenery. Fun stuff. 

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10634 on: September 04, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »

"Jonah Hex" (2010)
Josh Brolin stars as DC Comics' scar-faced Old West gunslinger, bounty hunter, and all around tough guy, who has to stop a crazed former Confederate general turned terrorist (John Malkovich) from attacking Washington D.C. with a super weapon on the day of America's Centennial.
This entertainingly dumb shoot'em-up/blow'em up was subject to constant behind-the-scenes drama and interference during filming so what wound up on screen turned out to be a disjointed mess. It's not as bad as you've probably heard, but it's nowhere near as bad-ass as it could've, and should've been, either.

"Scream: The Inside Story" (2011)
Another Biography Channel horror-film documentary, this time telling the story of the 1996 hit which re-ignited Wes Craven's career and gave the horror genre a much needed jump start. As usual, there are lots of interviews and stories told by cast and crew members. Entertaining stuff if you're a fan of the series.

Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.