Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:59:40 AM
713403 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2101307 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #11445 on: April 06, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »

"Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" (1989) 

Good grief, is this movie *really* 30 years old? I saw it twice during its theatrical run!

...the news that shooting is about to commence on a 3rd "Bill & Ted" flick inspired me to revisit the original tale of two time travelling dorks who take a trip through history so they can ace their final exams and ward off a most heinous fate for all mankind. I hadn't seen "B&T" in at least 20 years, and it hasn't aged particularly well (as I somewhat expected) but it was still good for a few nostalgic chuckles. 

...also, how did I not know till now that Jane Wiedlin of the Go-Go's played Joan of Arc in this flick?

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11446 on: April 07, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »

"The Last Shark" (aka "Great White," 1981)
A seaside resort town is plagued by a series of shark attacks, so a couple of tough guys head out to sea to hunt the critter down and kill it.
...sound familiar? It should. This none too subtle "Jaws" wanna-be from Italy rips off Spielberg's classic to such an astounding degree that when it was imported to the U.S. in early '82, Universal Studios cried "plagiarism" and sued it out of theatres.
It may be a cheap knockoff, but I still like this one better than "Jaws 3D" or "Jaws: The Revenge."

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11447 on: April 10, 2019, 08:54:19 AM »

THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS (2018): Six vignettes from the Coen Brothers set in the old West, involving archetypes like gunfighters, prospectors, carnies, and so on, in styles ranging from musical comedies to dramas, most (all?) with an ironic death at the end. None of the shorts are must-see knockouts and it suffers from the averaging-out effect endemic to all anthologies, but it has enough good moments and familiar faces to make it worth a watch. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11448 on: April 11, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »

Arrival (2016) - best movie I've seen in a while. Amy Adams as an expert linguist given the gig of a lifetime: translating, or attempting to, the language of some long octupus like aliens who've shown up. They appear to come in peace, but  some fear it's a "to serve man" redux. You could nitpick about details like what the Hell is going on with Forrest Whitakers accent? but I'm a big believer in transcendence: if I'm absorbed in it thats ultimately all that matters

5/5
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:16:49 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11449 on: April 12, 2019, 11:37:08 PM »

SHAZAM (2019) was our date night movie tonight.  Just really well done from start to finish; DC has finally caught up with Marvel.  In fact, I liked this better than some Marvel movies.  Lots of humor, cool villain, and the casting was brilliant. 5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11450 on: April 13, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »

"Grizzly" (1976)
A rogue grizzly bear is roaming a national park, chowing on campers and tourists, so a group of forest rangers set out to hunt it down.
This was one of the better "killer animal" movies made during the late '70s (inspired by the success of "Jaws"), and it doesn't skimp on the gore and carnage. This flick was so successful that it actually held the box-office record for an independent film for a brief period, till it was unseated by the original Halloween a few years later.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #11451 on: April 17, 2019, 02:40:17 PM »

Kung Fu Monster (2019)

A Chinese martial arts/fantasy movie, which, I  guess, is meant to be zany fun for kids. It follows the attempts of our hero Ocean (that is what the subtitles said) and his true love Frigid (again, that is what the subtitles said) to thwart the evil eunuch of the Eastern Depot (Wikipedia informs me that this was actually the name of the secret service in Ming China). The eunuch knows the same trick as Hokuto no Ken, where he lightly taps a guy, gives it a few seconds, and the guy explodes.

Together with a bunch of misfits, they try to stop the eunuch from getting his hands on the titular monster, which is normally small and cute, except when it gets angry and hulks out to 30ft tall.

The whole thing is deeply silly. There is no plot to speak of, just a bunch of tropes thrown together, in order to have a succession of cartoonish comedy scenes by the protagonists. Also, perhaps becuase it seems to be aimed at young children, you don't actually have a lot of martial arts scenes, but people flying about using superpowers, and generally stuff exploding.
Your mileage may vary.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11452 on: April 17, 2019, 09:01:47 PM »

MANIN THE IRON MASK (1998)  I had forgotten just how much I liked this movie from 20 years ago.  Leo DiCaprio does a marvelous dual performance as the cunning and utterly amoral young King Louis XIV, and his twin brother, Philippe, who has been imprisoned since he was 12 years old because of his face, a mirror image of the king's.  The legendary three musketeers, Porthos, Athos, and Aramis, must work together to depose the wicked young king and replace him with his conscientious young brother without being caught by their former companion, the inimitable Dartagnan. Great casting, wonderful swordplay, and "magnificent valor" are all on display here.  5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11453 on: April 20, 2019, 09:42:18 AM »

RIFFTRAX LIVE: REEFER MADNESS: I already owned and enjoyed the regular Rifftrax release of this one, but the Live version is definitely a big upgrade, with three shorts and a couple of very short (unriffed) cartoons. You all know the movie: kids smoke reefers (a far more dangerous habit than heroin, the narrator explains), and get involved in hit-and-run accidents, sex (both consensual and unconsensual), and a bizarre incident of manslaughter. The worst addicts end up in the asylum for the criminally insane for life. Colorized, which is distracting but has its own bizarre appeal (pot smoke is pink and green, trippy). 4/5, 5/5 if you're smoking while you watch it.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11454 on: April 20, 2019, 05:09:08 PM »

"Mankillers" (1987)
A lady CIA agent organizes an all female commando squad to destroy a drug smuggling and human trafficking organization run by her rogue former partner.
...so basically this is a cheese-and-crackers riff on "The Dirty Dozen," with lots of bad '80s mall hair and cleavage. The acting sucks, the sets are cheap, and strangely there's no nudity, (?) which is usually a given in flicks like these.
Even the worst of Andy Sidaris' famed no-budget bimbos 'n' bullets action extravaganzas look like the Royal Shakespeare Company compared to this flick. 
AVOID.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #11455 on: April 21, 2019, 08:45:17 AM »

Golden Job (2018)

A Chinese action/heist movie, clearly aimed at the international market: the background and nationality of the main characters is kept conveniently vague, and it is mostly situated in Europe and Japan.

It is the story of five mercenaries who have known eachother since the orphanage, and who plan one last heist, only to discover that one of them has double-crossed the others. Lots of heist/break in scenes, gunfights, explosions, car chases and car chases with gunfights and explosions. The direction and general style of the action scenes owe a lot to video games with the heroes being impossibly heroic and basically indestructible. If you like this sort of thing, definitely worth seeing, also because being Chinese, the pacing, storytelling and tropes are different from your standard Hollywood fare.

The Chinese cast is pretty solid. But the European parts remind me a bit of the Franco-Italo-Ruritanian coproductions of the 70s, where a star cast was flown into a country where it was cheap to film, and they had to hire local 'talent' for the supporting parts.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11456 on: April 22, 2019, 09:12:54 AM »

HANCOCK (2008)

Hancock is a superhero whose ill considered behavior regularly causes damage in the millions. He changes when the person he saves helps him improve his public image.

Apart from the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies and the X-Men trilogy from the same time, I pretty much hate every single superhero movie, particularly the ones that are coming nowadays, which I consider utter garbage.
Hancock interested me for its premise, and to be honest, the first hour or so it's actually pretty good and well executed. While the CGI is sometimes awful (the first scene where he's flying against the seagulls is embarrasing), the idea is good on paper and I actually laughed a couple of times of its intentional humor. This is definitely not your ordinary superhero movie, and that's a good thing; it's more about the exploration of the human side of the characters, which is rarely explored this deep.

Sadly, as soon the extremely predictable "twist" comes into play, everything is lost. The ending is Hollywood crap, the villian is ridiculous, the mythology is a mess, and the story resolves itself in the laziest way possible. Also, I hate that guy from Arrested Development, such a one-sided and bland actor. Even Will Smith, who I'm not a fan of, does a good job here.

Watch it, but it will probably leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. The first part is entertaining tho, and the crappy ending, at least, is fast and painless. Careful not to step on a plot hole, there's plenty of them and you may break your ankle.

Score: 3/5

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11457 on: April 22, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »

BUFFET FROID (1979): An early starring role for Gerard Depardieu. It starts with a man in the subway confessing his fantasies about killing strangers to a stranger, then develops into a surreal series of casual murders, most occurring over the course of a single long night. A dreamlike, deadpan black comedy that reminds me of what might have resulted if Luis Bunuel had directed AFTER HOURS. 4/5.

On a side note, I watched this on Kanopy, which is a streaming service that's associated with public libraries. It's free to use with some restrictions on how many movies you can watch per month. It's really got a good selection, but... it kept dropping out and I had to restart it about every 20 minutes.  Hatred

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11458 on: April 26, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »

I'LL TAKE YOUR DEAD (2019): Supernatural thriller about old man known as the "Candyman Butcher" lives with his 12-year-old daughter on an isolated farm where he disposes of corpses for a gang of criminals. It has a level of technical competence, some good atmosphere, promising characters, and just a hint of sleaze, but doesn't quite come together---it would have done better to lose the ghosts and play as a straight thriller. An original horror production from Shout! studios, coming to VOD soon. 2.5/5.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11459 on: April 26, 2019, 11:15:36 AM »

Buffet Frauds > Buffet Froid
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.