Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:07:17 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2101251 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #11625 on: August 03, 2019, 03:24:54 PM »

"Cool World" (1992)

A comic book artist discovers that the characters he's been drawing for years actually exist in the "Cool World" - an alternate dimension populated by cartoon creatures. When he meets his comic-book dream girl, the femme fatale Holli Would (Kim Basinger) in the flesh -- err, the ink --  it sets off a forbidden romance that could spell doom for both worlds.

This was supposed to be renegade animator/director Ralph "Fritz the Cat" Bakshi's big comeback vehicle after a decade away from filmmaking, but he battled constantly with the producers behind the scenes and the flick eventually tanked at the box office.

Bakshi intended "Cool World" to be a darker, more adult take on the animation/live action blend seen in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," but while it has impressive visuals, the story feels like a bunch of spare parts that never quite come together. On the plus side, it's got a killer soundtrack (incl. tracks by the Cult, David Bowie, Ministry and more), plus Kim Basinger was at her absolute peak of hotness as "Holli."

I've seen this movie several times over the years and it's a bit of a mess, but at least it's an interesting mess.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11626 on: August 04, 2019, 09:27:32 AM »

"Metallica: The Halcyon Days, Part I" (2008)

In yet another "unauthorized" music documentary, the first three Metallica albums are dissected in depth by the usual group of British rock journalists (Malcolm Dome, Dave Reynolds, etc.), with additional input from associates like thrash photographer Harald O, former Music For Nations label boss Martin Hooker, and members of Heathen. (Surprisingly, Brian Tatler of Diamond Head is nowhere to be seen, which is unusual cuz he's been in pretty much every other one of these British metal docs I've seen... :D )

Anyway, some good stories are told and some of the vintage photos are cool, but if you're a long time Metallica fan you obviously wont learn anything new here. I doubt I'll ever bother to sit thru Part 2.

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11627 on: August 05, 2019, 06:07:24 AM »

VERTIGO (1958)

A former police detective juggles wrestling with his personal demons and becoming obsessed with a hauntingly beautiful woman.

So, I finally watched this particularly recommended movie, and I must say, I'm a little underwhelmed. While I did enjoyed it and I think it's a pretty good movie, it's more of a romance one than mistery or suspense. I'm 99% sure that, if it wasn't for the name of the director, no one would've give a quarter of a s**t about it.
The hotel part which Hitchcock calls an "icebox scene", I myself call it a "bulls**t scene". It's just misleading and vague, completely apart from the rest of the plot. At that point I actually thought the woman was a ghost or something, but nope, it simply had nothing to do with anything. Lame.

Still, an engaging and somewhat fun movie. Not a masterpiece by any chance, at least for me. Had to rethink my score, I actually gave it more points just because external opinions. Bad me, very bad. 6/10  Lookingup

Yeah, I don't like the X/5 score, I prefer X/10.  Twirling
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:55:36 AM by Gabriel Knight » Logged

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11628 on: August 08, 2019, 06:17:37 AM »

"Die Hard With a Vengeance" (1995)
A mad bomber with a grudge against John McClane is loose in New York, sending him and a Harlem shopkeeper on a series of "games" around the city to distract them from his ultimate master plan.
Bruce Willis' third "Die Hard" go-round is the biggest and most sprawling adventure yet, giving him an entire city to play in, and Samuel L. Jackson is hilarious as McClane's unwilling sidekick. The last great "DH" movie.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:34:00 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11629 on: August 08, 2019, 07:39:10 AM »

IT (2018)  With Part 2 coming out next month, I decided to re-watch the recent adaptation of Stephen King's classic.  Brilliant across the board; the child actors did and incredible job and Alex Skarsgaard was amazing as Pennywise, the immortal and evil dancing clown who feeds on the fear of children.  Some genuinely spooky moments scattered throughout a remarkable coming of age film; I am definitely looking forward to the next film in the franchise.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11630 on: August 08, 2019, 10:00:56 AM »

VERTIGO (1958)

A former police detective juggles wrestling with his personal demons and becoming obsessed with a hauntingly beautiful woman.

So, I finally watched this particularly recommended movie, and I must say, I'm a little underwhelmed. While I did enjoyed it and I think it's a pretty good movie, it's more of a romance one than mistery or suspense. I'm 99% sure that, if it wasn't for the name of the director, no one would've give a quarter of a s**t about it.
The hotel part which Hitchcock calls an "icebox scene", I myself call it a "bulls**t scene". It's just misleading and vague, completely apart from the rest of the plot. At that point I actually thought the woman was a ghost or something, but nope, it simply had nothing to do with anything. Lame.

Still, an engaging and somewhat fun movie. Not a masterpiece by any chance, at least for me. Had to rethink my score, I actually gave it more points just because external opinions. Bad me, very bad. 6/10  Lookingup

Yeah, I don't like the X/5 score, I prefer X/10.  Twirling

Try it again in a year or two. I was underwhelmed the first time I saw it but it stuck with me and grew on me. More than any movie I can think of, VERTIGO gets better the more you watch it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11631 on: August 10, 2019, 06:57:51 PM »

ATOR THE FIGHTING EAGLE: Miles O'Keefe debuts as Ator (i.e. Conan on a budget), seeking to avenge the slaughter of his village and rescue his sister/wife (ew) from a spider cult. This was funnier than the MST3K take on the film---they really were relentless on the incest subplot, and all the better for it. 3.5/5.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11632 on: August 10, 2019, 09:37:37 PM »

I saw that. I remember because of the aforementioned sub plot. "the ancients did things like this"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11633 on: August 16, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »

"Happy Death Day 2U" (2019)
Sequel to the surprise 2017 horror-comedy hit finds our collegiate heroine "Tree" stuck in a time loop yet again, repeating the same day over & over and trying to avoid being killed by a masked slasher.
The first "Happy Death Day" was essentially a horror version of "Groundhog Day," but this one adds a sci-fi element ala "Back to the Future" as Tree learns how she got stuck in this situation to begin with.
Not a must-see, but an entertainingly silly time waster.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #11634 on: August 16, 2019, 09:58:21 PM »

IT (2018)  With Part 2 coming out next month, I decided to re-watch the recent adaptation of Stephen King's classic.  Brilliant across the board; the child actors did and incredible job and Alex Skarsgaard was amazing as Pennywise, the immortal and evil dancing clown who feeds on the fear of children.  Some genuinely spooky moments scattered throughout a remarkable coming of age film; I am definitely looking forward to the next film in the franchise.

Hey Indy, there's another movie called "It!" you might like. This one starred roddy McDowell and had a strong religious theme to it.  You  might like it. This movie centers around the legendary golem of Prague.

A quote from the movie that exposes true plot.

"Power bringeth destruction; beware, lest it be unleashed.
He who will find the secret of my life at his feet, him will I serve until beyond time.
He who shall evoke me in the 17th century, beware, for I cannot by fire be destroyed.
He who shall evoke me in the 18th century, beware, for I cannot by fire or by water be destroyed.
He who evokes me in the 19th century, beware, for I cannot by fire or by water or by force be destroyed.
He who in the 20th century shall dare evoke me, beware, for neither by fire, nor water, nor force, nor anything by man created can I be destroyed.
He who in the 21st century evokes me must be of God's hand himself, because on this earth the person of man existeth no more."

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11635 on: August 18, 2019, 01:58:07 PM »

BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ (1980): Wife-murderer Franz Bieberkopf is released from prison in Weimar Germany after four years in prison; he tries to go straight but with no means of employment, he soon returns to the criminal underworld, with tragic results. Fassbinder's 15-hour German miniseries is one of television's greatest achievements; Günter Lamprecht's Bieberkopf is simultaneously a symbol of the proletairian man, a holy fool, a poet, and a monster; his magnetism is enigmatic but irresistible. The story addresses themes of politics, religion and existentialism as it flows between straight drama, melodrama, poetic monologues, and surrealism. It's a world unto itself. 5/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11636 on: August 18, 2019, 05:16:21 PM »

"They Call Her Cleopatra Wong" (1978)
A lady INTERPOL agent stationed in the Philippines is assigned to smash a massive counterfeiting ring that has the potential to destroy the Asian economy. Lots of chop-socky silliness ensues.
...so basically, some Hong Kong movie producers decided that Asia needed its own "Foxy Brown" or "Coffy." The leading lady Marrie Lee is cute, and it's fun watching her kick butt on a seemingly endless array of evil doers for awhile, but everything else about this movie -- acting, dubbing, dialogue, production values, etc. -- is utter crap. Followed by two sequels, which I will be sure to avoid.
Fun fact: in some parts of the world, the advertising for this movie suggested that Marrie Lee was Bruce Lee's sister. (She isn't.)

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11637 on: August 18, 2019, 09:45:40 PM »

"Airplane!" (1980)
The classic gag-a-minute parody of airline disaster films is still one of the funniest movies ever made, bar none. You've all seen it, you all know it by heart, it rules, and don't call me Shirley.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #11638 on: August 20, 2019, 04:52:11 AM »

Diary of the dead. 2008.

Another Romero zombie movie. The fifth one. Zombies rise, society falls, people act terribly, is humanity worth saving?

Streamed on the internet.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11639 on: August 20, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »

PSYCHO (1960)

A Phoenix secretary embezzles forty thousand dollars from her employer's client, goes on the run, and checks into a remote motel run by a young man under the domination of his mother.

After feeling a little bit underwhelmed by VERTIGO, I decided to watch the classic PSYCHO, and hot damn, what an incredible movie. Although I do have to say that Anthony Perkins pretty much carries it around, and when he wasn't on the screen I was begging for him to come back. And I have to agree with the director that the music plays largely in making this such a great movie, kinda like John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN .
Even when the infamous psychologist scene is beyond bad and dated, it only serves as a testament of how many times that particular idea has been copied (and parodied!) in the following years. And the first toilet flushing, gotta remember that too.  TeddyR

I know it's cliche, but I will give it a perfect score of 10/10, and no, it's not because it's just Hitchcock. Hell, I gave VERTIGO a 6.  TongueOut

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.