Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:27:43 AM
713385 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2101102 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2265 on: April 29, 2010, 09:51:21 PM »

Good Night and Good Luck (2005): Basically this focuses on legendary news reporter Edward R. Murrow's battle against the regime of Senator Joseph McCarthy and his "Communist" witch hunts using a mix of dramatic storytelling and real news footage from the time. "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?" It's pretty slow at times but I personally found it fascinating. Love the bit in Murrow's speech about the potential good and ill of television. The cast all do quite well and I especially liked  David Straitham as Murrow. "We have currently a built-in allergy to unpleasant or disturbing information. Our mass media reflect this. But unless we get up off our fat surpluses and recognize that television in the main is being used to distract, delude, amuse, and insulate us, then television and those who finance it, those who look at it, and those who work at it, may see a totally different picture too late." Just a brilliantly done, surprisingly convincing glimpse of the past. **** out of *****

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« Reply #2266 on: April 29, 2010, 09:54:48 PM »

Last night I finished watching Scream (1996).

I thought this was a very well done movie! Lots of fun and it had me guessing who the killer was until the very end! 

13 out of 13 stars.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2267 on: April 30, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »

TAXIDERMIA (2006): A surrealist take on three generations of bizarre and perverted Hungarians: a horny army soldier (whose penis spouts fire), a competitive eater, and a taxidermist.  It's technically well done and ranks high on the "I've never seen THAT before" weird grossout scale, but it lacks a point and, just like its final exhibit, a heart.   3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #2268 on: April 30, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »

Watched a number of movies recently...

Survival of the Dead - the latest Romero zombie film.  I'll be positive for a moment here..  I liked a couple characters.  Some of the movie was OK.  Some ok acting

Almost all the ideas are muddled.  The action scenes are poor.  The whole film looks REALLY cheap (especially since the budget was probably the millions).  There's really not much of a point to any of the plot.  It's almost..  Amateurish.  And for a guy whose career spans well over 40 years, that's not too good.  I will say the film was rarely boring, which is not something I can say of Diary of the Dead.  Diary at least was well-polished and presentable though.  I'd say the two factors kind of even out.  Just not a good film.

5/10, and I'm being very generous rating it that highly.

Defendor.  Sort of like a more believable version of Kick-Ass, with Woody Harrelson as a slow-witted man who invents a superhero persona and tries to fight crime - only to end up in over his head.  I didn't find it quite as enjoyable as Kick-Ass, but the film does have some very good performances and good writing, and a few genuinely funny moments.  It also has some heart, which Kick-Ass lacks. 

7/10

The Gore Gore Girls.  My first Herschel Gordon Lewis flick.  I found it pretty enjoyable.  Surprisingly gory, and in terms of structure it's like a prototype of the slasher film.  Sort of.  It isn't quite there, but it pre-dates most other slasher type films except for Twitch of the Death Nerve.  This is very much of the grindhouse mold - leering shots of dancing strippers, bits of nudity, and closeups of some fairly effective gore (especially for the time - much better than earlier Lewis gore I've seen bits of).  Surprisingly, my favorite part of this film was the lead character, Abraham.  He's like a posh gentlemen, and a HUGE ***hole.  Pretty funny.  There's also a few 4th wall breaks, which I appreciated, and the film ends on a light note.  Entertaining.

7/10.

Plan 9 From Outer Space.  Yeah, I'd never seen it all the way through.  What can I say?  I found the bad line delivery the most enjoyable part, but to be honest it's a little slow and dull in a lot of the middle.  Not much else to say.

6/10.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2269 on: May 01, 2010, 07:08:30 AM »

Dead Space:  Downfall (2008, animated) - A mining ship arrives at a planet to exploit its mineral resources.  There's already a small colony on the planet, sent there to survey it in preparation for the "planet crack".  But they've found something else:  an alien artifact.  Soon after its discovery, the murder and suicide rate amongst the colonists shot up.  Unbeknownst to the rest of the crew of the mining ship, many of its members belong to a religion which worships this artifact, so against all logic, they bring the thing aboard.  It's not long before everyone is turning into half-human, half-alien creatures with a taste for blood.  Will anyone survive?  This movie is a prequel to the video game Dead Space (Which I just got my platinum trophy for last night  TeddyR ).  The game is a masterpiece of atmosphere and suspense, on the same level as the movie Alien.  The characters are done in a very realistic manner, and the weapons are awesomely cool.  The movie shares none of those characteristics.  Instead of atmosphere, they give us animated gore by the bucketful.  The character animation is done in that exaggerated, caricature style, and the voice acting is generally poor.  I can't comment much on the story as I was very familiar with it after playing the game, but the movie adds absolutely nothing to the whole mythos of it.  Still, it wasn't bad, just not good either.  3.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2270 on: May 01, 2010, 12:42:18 PM »

Plan 9 From Outer Space.  Yeah, I'd never seen it all the way through.  What can I say?  I found the bad line delivery the most enjoyable part, but to be honest it's a little slow and dull in a lot of the middle.  Not much else to say.

6/10.

That low rating shocks me.  I can say that I was a bit underwhelmed when I first saw it (though I was just a teenager), but it does grows on you with subsequent viewings.  There are little details that start to pop out at you, and you wonder how there could be consistent something wrong in absolutely every scene. 

Vik
« Reply #2271 on: May 01, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »

6/10.

That low rating shocks me.  I can say that I was a bit underwhelmed when I first saw it (though I was just a teenager), but it does grows on you with subsequent viewings.  There are little details that start to pop out at you, and you wonder how there could be consistent something wrong in absolutely every scene. 
Some people love it immediately first view, like me  Cheers
I've seen it three times and saw it the first time a month ago  Thumbup
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #2272 on: May 01, 2010, 02:23:53 PM »

It definitely grows on you.

You just need to see past the IQ reducing merits.

-Jimmybob

3mnkids

« Reply #2273 on: May 02, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »

The Square~ A cheating husband and his lover(also a cheater) lives start to unravel when she finds a bag of money and they come up with a plan to run off together.. no one will get hurt, right? wrong.

Its a very nice Aussie flick. It has some pacing problems in the beginning but the second half of the movie is really good. I didn't have a clue where it was going and couldn't wait to find out. I pretty much hated everyone in the movie.. No one was really sympathetic, but I enjoyed the movie. The ending was a bit of a shock to me(I actually yelled oh sh**!  TeddyR )

If you liked the movie A simple plan you should check this one out.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2274 on: May 02, 2010, 02:42:30 PM »

GOZU (2003): A conflicted yakuza is ordered by his superiors to dispose of his immediate boss, who's gone insane, but when the body disappears in a strange town outside Nagoya it becomes unclear who's actually the crazy one.  One of the better efforts from Miike's weird and perverted phase; calling it the Japanese ERASERHEAD may be going a little far, but it's in the ballpark. 4/5.     

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2275 on: May 02, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »

It definitely grows on you.

You just need to see past the IQ reducing merits.

-Jimmybob

If something like that grew on me, I would cut it off!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #2276 on: May 03, 2010, 03:35:22 AM »

6/10.

Yeah, I can definitely see the film improving in enjoyability with repeat viewings.  I also think it'd have been more fun to see with a group of friends than by myself.  It's short enough that I'll probably see it again at some point. 
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2277 on: May 03, 2010, 06:29:35 AM »

Final Fantasy The Spirits Within (2001, animated) - On a future Earth, alien phantoms have killed off most of the population, and the survivors live in shielded cities.  The military has constructed a huge orbital cannon that they want to use to wipe out the aliens, but the scientists are busy collecting 8 spirits, and once they've got them all, well...I'm not entirely sure what's supposed to happen.  This is all computer animated in a very realistic style.  Some of the environments look just as realistic as the CGI stuff in big budget, non-animated movies.  The motion capture for the characters is excellent as well, everyone moves in a lifelike manner.  Voice acting is very good, especially Donald Sutherland as the wise old scientist.  My only real complaint is that the characters aren't especially sympathetic, they're sort of underdeveloped.  Being an animated movie, the action sequences are pretty spectacular.  4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2278 on: May 03, 2010, 07:18:04 AM »

The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996) * out of ****.  This movie was just so painful to watch.  I hated it all the way through.  Even though it is 100 minutes long, it took me 4 hours to watch the film.  I would have to watch like maybe 20 or 30 minutes of the film then have to do something else for a while so as to prevent my brain from self destructing itself.

Thankfully I will never have to watch the film again. 
3mnkids

« Reply #2279 on: May 03, 2010, 01:16:16 PM »

The Big I am~ A British gangster movie( yes, I never get tired of them) This time a small time bad guy saves the life of a big time bad guy and shoots to the top of the bad guy food chain..  TeddyR  Its not always easier at the top.

It was alright. worth a one time watch for fans of this type of movie but not so much for others.

True Legend(Su Qi-Er)~ Along with British gangster movies I also have a thing for Kung Fu.. go figure.  TeddyR  Anyway, the "plot" is a little lacking. okay, its really lacking, but that is alright. Its got great fight scenes and it looks fantastic.. who cares about some silly little thing like a plot when there is ass kicking?  Smile  David Carradine also makes an appearance.. small one but still nice to see him.
8rREc1qH5k8

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.