Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:18:20 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2112352 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4710 on: March 07, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »

Hot Dog: the Movie (1984) - I had this on my saved list then someone re issued it. thank you whoever that was. Classic ski-ploitation movie. Aguy who's really good at Ski ballet, moguls and freestyle ski jumping goes to a contest where said events are featured. He picks up an annoying girl and also hooks up with Shannon Tweed who looks amazing. David Naughton is in this. 5/5
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:47:08 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4711 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971): In the small British village of Pepperidge Eye during the second World War, an apprentice witch named Elgantine Price (Angela Lansbury) reluctantly is forced to accept three orphan children Charlie, Carrie and Paul Rawlins evacuated from London during the 1940 blitz. Ms. Price needs one more spell to complete her training which she hopes to use to defend her country from possible Nazi invasion and soon she and the kids set off on a magical adventure in search of Professor Emilius Browne (David Tomlinson), the headmaster of Ms. Price's correspondence school which eventually leads them into more and more trouble.

This Disney classic which is part musical, part animated, mostly live action proved even more fun than I remembered it as a kid. I vividly recall watching this while sick as a child and that it cheered me up and helped me feel considerably better at the time. In all honesty however, overall this one is a little uneven. I'd say it's a little bit of a lesser effort than the somewhat similar Mary Poppins and the songs aren't always memorable, yet this was quite fun to re-watch all these years later too. Lansbury is quite good here and works well with Tomlinson and the children, the animated sequence is also quite funny and amusing and the songs are pretty uplifting and positive even if perhaps they sometimes go on a bit too long. The final showdown involving the Nazis is a bit of an hoot too. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:56:42 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4712 on: March 09, 2012, 08:25:04 AM »

"Dr. No" (1962)
Small | Large

First film in the James Bond series sends 007 to Jamaica, where an evil scientist plans to sabotage an American rocket launch with a nuclear-powered beam from his private island.

More of a "straight" cloak and dagger film than many of the entries that followed it, "Dr. No" succeeds mainly on the utter coolness of Sean Connery and the bevy of Babes, particularly Ursula Andress as "Honey Ryder"

Oh, yass, pleeeease.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4713 on: March 09, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »

Cutting Class (1989) - This is a slight but entertaining 80's vhs horror thing that doesn't contain the talent or personality of some of the more well known examples of the genre but is generally solid and gets better and more creative towards the end. It's mainly known today for being brad pitt's first movie. The print is pretty bad for a DVD. The shortcomings are obvious: the female lead isn't all that charismatic ( Jill Schoelen, who comes off as a less interesting Shannon Doherty), the script is pretty bland till the last section, it's by the numbers,etc but all in all i'd say check it out 4/5
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #4714 on: March 09, 2012, 04:22:08 PM »

For some reason, I decided to watch this again last night....

Actually, I've got it in my DRIVE-IN MOVIE GREATS compilation. I completely forgot what a strange little picture this is. The storyline is the standard "bump-off-the-relatives-for-the-inheritance" deal, but with a few kinky bits thrown in.

Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Raffine

« Reply #4715 on: March 09, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »

THE FLYING SERPENT (1946) In this unofficial remake/revisioning of PRC's earlier THE DEVIL BAT.

Mad archaeologist (!) George Zucco has discovered the fabled Treasure of the Aztecs. Zucco uses the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl aka The Flying Serpent to strike down anyone he imagines threatens his treasure. The idea is Quetzalcoatl is so proud of his pretty feathers he will kill (and for good measure suck the blood from) anyone who dares carry one of them around.

Zucco simply plucks a feather from Q's butt (the beastie lets out a loud "Squaawk!" whenever that happens) and plants it on his intended victim. He then frees Q form his cage, who then sails merrily across the sky until crash diving into the feather holder.

Problem solved!  Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Zucco as usual gives it the professional college try, and the Wing Serpent is a fun and unusual movie monster. Most studios - including Universal - didn't stray very far from rather traditional monsters in the 40s so PRC's combo of serpent, dragon, and goony bird is a distinctly novel and refreshing break from all the vampires, Frnakenstein monsters, werewolves, mummies, etc.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4716 on: March 10, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »

Double Feature last night:

First up: "The Haunting in Connecticut" (2009)
Small | Large

Supposedly "based on a true story," this is a slow burning but effective little creep show about the Campbell family and their cancer stricken teenage son, who move into a new house to be closer to his treatment center. However, the new house has a "past" and it doesn't take long before weird sh*t starts happening on a regular basis.

Next: "Mutant" aka "Forbidden World" (1982)
Small | Large

A bounty hunter is sent to clean up the mess at a far off space station where a genetic experiment has gone horribly wrong and started munching on the scientists. This cult Roger Corman classic is a cool low budget ripoff of "Alien," complete with a big toothy monster, plenty of gore and goop, and totally gratuitous female nudity. In other words... total Awesomeness.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4717 on: March 10, 2012, 04:39:23 PM »

Evil (2005)- This Greek Zombie movie is really pretty good despite it's budegtary limitations, and they are limitations. they clearly couldn't afford a very good action or special effects person and these scenes are definately sub par. it's too bad because the cast is really good, the characters are likeable and human and there is some pretty scary stuff. if you like stuff like [rec] and are charitable towards supporting new talent check it out. 3.75/5
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4718 on: March 10, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »

The Big Bird Cage (1972).  Old women-in-prison flick, with Sid Haig and Pam Grier as engagingly goofy revolutionaries who go to free innocent women from a Filipino prison.  Unfortunately there is no real sex or violence.  Too tame for this type of flick.  The earlier Big Doll House was much better IMO.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4719 on: March 11, 2012, 07:04:06 AM »

Prom Night IV: Deliver Us from Evil (1992) - an insane priest goes on a killing spree, delivering the souls of the immoral to the lord.  The church locks him up in a basement cell for several decades, but then they get some new guy to guard him and it's not long before he escapes.  Meanwhile, some kids are having a party at a vacation home, doing all the cheesy stuff I love like running around half-dressed.  And these two storyline of course intersect, leading to a night of terror for our fun loving kids.  I really liked this, it starts out serious, gets wonderfully cheesy in the middle, and then when everything gets all scary at the end, it goes back to being serious again.  It does both things very well.  Nicole de Boer does a great job playing the last girl.  4.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Vik
« Reply #4720 on: March 11, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »

Young Adult
Quite good. I expected it to be very much like Juno but I was glad to see it being a lot darker. However, it could have been a bit longer and I would have prefered to see Oswalt play a bigger part. 4/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4721 on: March 11, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »

BOMBAY BEACH (2011): Arty documentary focusing on three subjects---a troubled and over-medicated young boy, a football-playing teen transplant fleeing gang violence in L.A., and a crusty old cigarette bootlegger---in decaying Salton Sea, CA, an impoverished desert burg. Inconclusive but impressive chronicle of the lives of outcasts in one of the last places in America where it's still possible to live as an individual. The soundtrack by Beruit and Bob Dylan helps a lot. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4722 on: March 11, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »

Looking For Kitty (2004): A high school baseball coach named Abe Fiannico (David Krumholtz) comes to New York City in search of his wife who up and left him seemingly out of the blue. There he hires burned out detective Jack Stanton (Edward Burns), a man still reeling from the death of his own wife, to aid him in his search.

There's a certain element of realism to this story and it very realistically delves into people and the personal struggles and battles of many with loneliness and an inability to adapt and change for many to let others in their lives - the habit of getting set in one's ways whether for good or bad. The story here focuses on people searching for one thing and then finding perhaps they need other things in their lives- like friendships and contact with others. It doesn't always work and honestly is probably not going to really enthrall anyone but is interesting. Sadly though, for most people this story will feel rather dull and uneventful or perhaps it just might be a bit too self-reflective. *** out of ***** stars.

Ju-on: The Grudge 2 (2003): A movie crew makes the mistake of setting their latest horror feature inside the haunted house where Kayako and her son Toshio were brutally murdered.

This horror film focuses on each character's individual fate so it's timeline does seem to jump around a lot which is sure to confuse some viewers. One really has to pay close attention here to get all that's going on but there are definitely many creepy and unsettling moments. Personally I found it a bit less convincing an effort with regards to blending fiction and reality as was the first film and in this case, I actually prefer the Americanized version of the film. There are some startling gore and shock moments which may well please fans of that stuff but personally I prefer the most subtle horror moments, which somehow feel so much more creepily effective, in this one. *** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #4723 on: March 12, 2012, 01:02:05 AM »

I caught Saw 3 on SyFy...it was censored to hell as I expected but I still liked it

it inspired me  to find my copy of it and to watch it
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:04:59 AM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4724 on: March 12, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »

The Dark Backward (1991) - I was pleasantly surpised by this unpleasant comedy. Judd Nelson and Tom Paxton are garbagemen, Nelson a meek wanna be stand up and Paxton his loud friend guy. tTey and everyone else in this movie are always dirty and sweaty, especially Nelson. The setting is  California but a dystopina sort of one and is filthy as well. The whole thing is like being in a really awful dive bar and theres one of those too. nelsons character Marty begins to develop a manitou like bump on his back which grows so they incorporate it into his horrendous stand up act and they  get a manager and stuff. if you have a taste for the off beat don't miss this, it's brilliant in places. Other than the general plot though not a ton happens. It moves alright but I had to pause it a few times. The guy was like 17 when he made it or something. Jud Nelson, not my all time favorite actor, does a really good job.  nice  4/5  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:33:36 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.