Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:13:13 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100203 times)
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6960 on: November 24, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »

"Firestorm" (1998)

http://www.youtube.com/v/CcHSj4wxpMw

Hollywood tried to turn former NFL great Howie Long into an honest-to-goodness action hero in this formulaic-but-fun butt kicker. Howie's a Wyoming 'smokejumper' who has to battle a raging forest fire and a gang of escaped convicts (who set the fire in order to cover up their jailbreak). This enjoyable but instantly forgettable popcorn flick tanked at the box office and took Howie's movie career down with it, but William Forsythe is great as the sleazy bad guy and the fire scenes are suitably thrilling.

I used to work at a video rental store and the vhs cover for this movie was hilarious - just Howie's confused giant head floating over a flame-y background.
Unrelated to the movie, but does anyone else remember the Best Buy ads he used to do with Teri Hatcher?  That had to be the most random celeb endorsement pairing ever; for a long time I thought they were married in real life b/c why else would they be doing this?  Question

Last movie I watched was BLACKFISH, a doc condemning SeaWorld's (apparent lack of) safety practices, and the unethical treatment of its whales. There is some pretty f**ked up footage in this movie.  I think the makers of ORCA may have been on to something.  9/10

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6961 on: November 24, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »

Everyone who's seen that Sea World movie seems to be really outraged by it.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6962 on: November 25, 2013, 07:30:22 AM »

Mission Stardust (1967) - some astronauts go to the moon and discover a huge alien spaceship there. Onboard is Essy Persson

and some scientist dude. The scientist has some disease and our Earth astronauts volunteer to get some doctor to cure him. So they go to Earth and unfortunately run into some surprisingly well organized guys who want to take over the alien ship and rule the world mwahahahaha. Much silliness follows. One of those schlocky Italian things; it's a bit slow and talky in parts but there's plenty of extremely cheesy special effects and of course Essy TeddyR Pretty enjoyable overall. 3.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6963 on: November 25, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »

Yeah, if you're into animal rights, you're outraged by the treatment of the whales. If you're not, you're outraged by the treatment of the employees.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6964 on: November 25, 2013, 10:14:31 AM »

EVOCATEUR: THE MORTON DOWNEY JR. MOVIE: Son of a successful Irish tenor, Morton Downey, Jr. fails at music but finds fame as the "father of Ttash television" when he reinvents himself an angry, chain-smoking talk show bully. 15 unpleasant minutes of fame are stretched to 90 minutes; the takeaway message is, Downey was a jerk. 2.5/5.

EVIL DEAD (2013): Five kids go to a cabin in the woods, read incantations from an evil tome in the basement, get possessed and start killing each other. The best thing that can be said for this technically adept but utterly unnecessary remake is that is achieves the minimum level of quality necessary to avoid embarrassing the EVIL DEAD franchise. 2.5/5.

ChaosTheory

« Reply #6965 on: November 25, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »

I was more saddened by it than anything, really.  It's a very depressing - and easily preventable - story.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #6966 on: November 25, 2013, 12:32:19 PM »

"Firestorm" (1998)

http://www.youtube.com/v/CcHSj4wxpMw

Hollywood tried to turn former NFL great Howie Long into an honest-to-goodness action hero in this formulaic-but-fun butt kicker. Howie's a Wyoming 'smokejumper' who has to battle a raging forest fire and a gang of escaped convicts (who set the fire in order to cover up their jailbreak). This enjoyable but instantly forgettable popcorn flick tanked at the box office and took Howie's movie career down with it, but William Forsythe is great as the sleazy bad guy and the fire scenes are suitably thrilling.

I used to work at a video rental store and the vhs cover for this movie was hilarious - just Howie's confused giant head floating over a flame-y background.
Unrelated to the movie, but does anyone else remember the Best Buy ads he used to do with Teri Hatcher?  That had to be the most random celeb endorsement pairing ever; for a long time I thought they were married in real life b/c why else would they be doing this?  Question

Last movie I watched was BLACKFISH, a doc condemning SeaWorld's (apparent lack of) safety practices, and the unethical treatment of its whales. There is some pretty f**ked up footage in this movie.  I think the makers of ORCA may have been on to something.  9/10

BLACKFISH was sickening; I'll never spend a dime to pad the coffers of anyone comnnected with the capture and penning of cetaceans.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6967 on: November 26, 2013, 12:39:43 AM »

"Last Days Here" (2011)

Small | Large

In the 1970s, Pentagram could've been America's answer to Black Sabbath... but the unpredictable nature of lead singer Bobby Liebling f*cked it up for them and the band fell apart. Bobby then spent the next 30+ years living in his parents' basement, using tons of drugs and putting together numerous half-assed "new" Pentagram lineups, hoping to get a second shot at the big time. When a longtime Pentagram fan begins acting as Bobby's new manager and tries to help him achieve that dream, they hit many obstacles along the way.

This flick is like the darker side of "Anvil! The Story of Anvil," as both films cover similar themes (i.e. rockers who probably should've hung it up ages ago, but refuse to quit) although Bobby Liebling's story is more tragic than Anvil's. Still, it's a fascinating, though somewhat depressing, film that's worth a look. Now I gotta look into getting some of Pentagram's tunes, cuz they sound pretty bad-ass...!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6968 on: November 26, 2013, 07:42:31 AM »

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1974) - TV movie made by Dan Curtis. I've always been a big fan of Dan's stuff as I love the Dark Shadows TV series. This follows the novel pretty closely, with a real estate agent traveling to Transylvania, where Dracula (Jack Palance) picks out a castle in England and travels there on the Demeter. Once he arrives he bites a girl and then Van Helsing shows up, etc. Unfortunately this is about the dullest Dracula movie I've ever seen. There's very little dialogue, especially in the first 40 minutes or so. It's just people walking around and standing around. This would be okay if there were some good theme music to set a scary mood, but there isn't. What little music there is is very low key, and long stretches go by with no music at all. Scenes that are supposed to be suspenseful are just boring because of it. I haven't seen Palance in a lot of stuff but I remember him being over the top and quite fun - not so here. He's barely got anything to say and spends most of his time grimacing. The other characters aren't any better; Van Helsing is competently acted but also very low key and dull. Nobody else makes an impression at all. The only good thing about it was the art direction. There's plenty of gorgeous period-authentic interiors and the outdoor scenes look very nice as well. I'm probably being generous in giving it a 2.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6969 on: November 26, 2013, 08:27:42 AM »

I made it about 30 minutes into that one and had to give up.  Both Frank Langella and Gary Oldman were MUCH better in that role.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6970 on: November 26, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »

RUSSIAN ARK (2002): A never-seen ghostlike figure wanders through the Hermitage Museum (previously home to the Czars) in St. Petersburg, watching re-enactments of Russian history and debating art and culture with a French aristocrat companion. With thousands of extras, it's pulled off in one 95 minute take. It's more than a bit stuffy and tailored to the delicate sensibilities of the fine arts crowd, but it's impossible not to be impressed by the pageantry and technical achievement. 4/5.

claws
« Reply #6971 on: November 26, 2013, 10:18:28 AM »

Ghost Chase (1987) (Blu-ray) (US Theatrical Version)

Amateur director and his wannabe-actor friend trying to film a slasher must put production on halt when the main actress/waitress leaves the set for good. Things turn interesting when the wannabe-actor inherits (at first glance) some junk - including a dummy/doll-servant that comes to life by the stroke of midnight. Soon enough a sleazy film producer and his German henchman interfere, and the amateur director, wannabe-actor friend, actress/waitress and the dummy must face supernatural forces while searching for a hidden fortune in the cellar of a spook-house that is about to blow up.
Unfunny comedy from German Director Roland Emmerich. His second feature after Making Contact (1985) is also quite a mess, and it doesn't help that Emmerich blatantly rips off Ghost Busters and E.T. (again) while trying to imitate Ferris Bueller's Day Off type of John Hughes humor. 2.5/5
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6972 on: November 26, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »

Year of the Dragon (1985)
After the debacle of Heavens Gate director Michael Cimino (The Deer Hunter) returned to the big screen with this epic crime movie with some help from Oliver Stone in the script department. Mickey Rourke is excellent as the highly decorated cop who takes it onto himself to clean up a crime ridden Chinatown in NYC. Just as he is doing this a new leader in Chinatown is emerging whose ruthless tactics is creating chaos and conflict in the neighborhood.

This is a hard one to review because when it's good its downright incredible boasting some amazing action set pieces and some of Rourke's best acting. But when it's bad it can be pretty terrible largely due to the female characters who are terribly written by Cimino and Stone. Both Rourkes wife and the Chinese reporter he has an affair with are paper thin nagging caricatures whose scenes bring the movie to a halt. Also troubling is the fact that Rourke's character seems to think he was fighting Chinese people when he was in Vietnam, not exactly helping the film against claims of racism.

But as I said when it's good its fantastic just like in "Deer Hunter" Cimino shoots violence in a brutal to the point manner that is truly thrilling. An early shootout in a Chinese restaurant is right up there with the best set pieces of John Woo's HK pictures which is high praise to be sure. Tarantino cites the ending as one of his favorite movie moments of all time and for good reason as it is right up there with the great showdowns of film history. Overall this is a flawed but at time masterful crime epic that I would not hesitate to recommend. Here's one of Rourkes finer moments from the film below.
Small | Large
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6973 on: November 27, 2013, 01:00:49 AM »

I watched a British horror film called INBRED tonight.
It was basically a British version of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, with a dash of WRONG TURN thrown in.
Four college age kids are assigned community service and travel to the British back country to do some community service by fixing up an abandoned cottage and salvaging some copper from derelict trains.  They fall afoul of a nasty crew of locals who torment and devour them one by one.
Brutally violent, with British accents so thick they were largely incomprehensible, this was a mean-spirited film whose young protagonists were all unlikable to some degree.  A fun piece for gore hounds, I suppose, but otherwise useless.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6974 on: November 27, 2013, 08:07:15 AM »

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) - after an exciting intro Indy winds up in India and decides to help a village of starving people who have lost their magic rock. He travels through the jungle with Kate Capshaw and eventually arrives at the Temple of Doom. Doom I say! This is probably my favorite Indiana Jones movie. Indy expresses more personality in this one, Capshaw is a lot of fun throughout, and it's just an action-packed good time from beginning to end. 4.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.