Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:28:25 AM
714358 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2112576 times)
claws
« Reply #7020 on: December 15, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »

Sharknado (2013) (Blu-ray)

Global warming causes, um, something and Hollywood ends up being flooded and damaged by tornadoes carrying sharks.
Lots of Internet hype and quite frankly, I feel like the last person on earth to watch this. Sharknado swims somewhere between the cheesy excellence of Mega Piranha and the dull badness of Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus. This might be one of the sloppiest movies in regards of continuity, little effort was made to match water height, rain, traffic, overcast, sunshine etc.
I was also shocked to see John Heard in this. I haven't seen him in anything since The Pelican Brief 20 years ago. He used to be a solid actor, and now this? Ah well. 3/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7021 on: December 16, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »

Busy weekend.

FROZEN (2013): A queen is cursed so that everything she touches freezes; her younger sister holds the key to melting her heart and freeing the kingdom. Not groundbreaking, but typical Disney quality, with impressive wintry art design and more musical numbers than usual. 3.5/5. Followed this up with MST3K: JACK FROST for a December double feature.

MONSTERS UNIVERSITY (2013): Dedicated but not-very-scary monster Mike teams up with a frightening but undisciplined Sully and a team of misfits to win the Monsters University scare games and earn a spot in the Scaring Program. It's basically Pixar's Monsters version of REVENGE OF THE NERDS, but it's a pleasant diversion. 3/5.

MUSEUM HOURS (2012): A museum guard at the Kunsthistorisches befriends a middle aged Canadian woman who has come to Vienna to visit a dying relative. This slow, abstract and contemplative movie won't be to everyone's taste; the best thing I can say about it is that it makes me want to go on vacation, visit an art museum and make a friend in a foreign country. 3/5.

PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1987): A priest discovers the essence of evil buried in a vault underneath a Los Angeles church, and a team of professors and grad students set out to study it. Like a lot of John Carpenter's late horror movies, this one weaves back and forth across the line that separates intriguing from goofy. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7022 on: December 16, 2013, 06:50:51 PM »

I loved Jack Frost
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7023 on: December 16, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »

One from the 1st Sunday of the Month Film Club.

The first Sunday of the month, the downtown library in the city in which I live picks and shows a somewhat obscure film that probably should be better known then it is. The one for December was "Oliver Twist" from 1933 with Dickie Moore as the title character, Irving Pichel as Fagan, and William "Stage" Boyd as Bill Sikes.

"Stage" to separate him from William "Hopalong Cassidy" Boyd. Not that it did much good, for when "Stage" got into serious trouble, the newspapers printed a picture of "Hopalong." which sent his career, which had been rising into a nose dive, and it took him years to comeback.

Anyway, the film is notable more for being a product of the time it was made then for its storytelling, which makes it worth seeking out.

1933: Dickie Moore. One of the few child actors working in Hollywood. Now: a surfeit of child actors.

1933: "exagerated school of film acting." Now: a more "naturalistic school of film acting."

1933: religion. Now: no religion. But better no religion than the religion espoused in the film.

1933: living with a man. Married to the man or else. Now: no. Nor in the book nor anyother film version I have seen.

1933: pregnant. Again married to a man or else. Now: no. Nor in the book nor anyother film version I have seen.

1933: the best scene in the film, and the only time that this scene in the book has apprently been ever filmed, Oliver meets Fagan for the last time in Fagan's death cell in gaol. Whether it was because of that "exaggerated school of acting" or because it was the first time I had ever seen the scene, it was clearly the most powerful scene in the film, as the audience slowly watches Fagan lose his sanity in the shadows of the gallows on which he is to be hanged.

Because of the short length of the film, a cartoon was shown before the main feature. It was a Van Buren Production, and if you wonder why they no longer exist, and the Walt Disney Company still does and still makes cartoons, it is simple.

Even in 1933, or four years before Disney's "Snow White and the 7 Dwarves," Disney cartoons had a better . . .
--storyline
--jokes
--and better backgrounds.

Next time: Sometime next year, the library will be showing one of the Lum and Abner films, which were based on the characters from the popular radio series. See you then.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7024 on: December 17, 2013, 12:46:02 AM »

"Kurt & Courtney" (1998)

Small | Large

BBC documentarian Nick Broomfield investigates the conspiracy theories surrounding the death of Nirvana leader Kurt Cobain...but if he wants to make a case that Kurt was murdered, then he probably should've found a better group of interviewees than the bunch of drug-addled losers and disreputable hangers-on featured in this flick, most of whom have only tangential connections to Kurt or Nirvana and who don't have any real evidence to offer aside from "Uhhh... Courtney Love's a total b***h, I bet she did it."

Aside from the clip featuring El Duce of the Mentors, who claimed that Courtney offered him $50K to "whack" Kurt (Duce died mere weeks after that interview was filmed), this flick is a tough slog.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7025 on: December 17, 2013, 07:58:52 AM »

Netherworld (1992) - a guy inherits his father's mansion in Louisiana. He never met his father, but finds a note from him asking him to conduct some sort of ceremony to bring him back to life. Obviously witchcraft is afoot! This was really slow moving, as in basically nothing happens throughout the whole movie. I found the plot mildly interesting though and Holly Floria as the flirtatious and very sweet (and totally hot) girl who lives at the mansion didn't hurt at all either. Edgar Winter is playing some excellent blues music at the bar that the guy frequents too. I'll be generous and give it a 3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7026 on: December 17, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »

SHANKS (1974): After apprenticing to a reclusive scientist, a deaf-mute puppeteer learns how to move corpses using electrodes operated by remote control. William Castle (!) directs Marcel Marceau (!) in this "grim fairy tale" mixing black comedy with pantomime slapstick and silent film aesthetics with an exploitation movie plot to create a movie like nothing else out there. 4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7027 on: December 17, 2013, 02:41:02 PM »

School's cancelled due to snow, so it was a good day to introduce my kids to an all time classic...

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

http://www.youtube.com/v/0ZOcoxjeUYo

Crusading archaeologist Indiana Jones criss-crosses the globe trying to keep a priceless -  and powerful - Biblical artifact out of the hands of the Nazis in Lucas and Spielberg's action-packed salute to 1930s movie serials. 'Raiders' is still one of the best action-adventure flicks ever made and it cemented Harrison Ford's status as a megastar. I have lost count of how many times I've seen this movie over the years, but it never gets old.

At the end of the movie my 11 year old son said that "Raiders" was "awesome sauce." I guess that's good. It occurred to me that I was the same age as him when I first saw it in a theatre way back in 1981.

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7028 on: December 17, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »

MANBORG (2012)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manborg

Small | Large

I paid $2 for this at the local video store, and I still feel ripped off; I think I'm gonna mail it to my friend Dave as a combination belated birthday / Christmas present.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7029 on: December 17, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »

TARGETS (1968)

Sadly, not Karloff's last film, but certainly one of his best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targets

It was on EPIX DRIVE-IN the other day, and I got to see it for the second time. I've always been a huge Karloff fan, and this was a treat, especially as my wife and sister-in-law got to see it for the first time.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
dean

« Reply #7030 on: December 18, 2013, 12:01:29 AM »

MANBORG (2012)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manborg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBHau4HeTZY

I paid $2 for this at the local video store, and I still feel ripped off; I think I'm gonna mail it to my friend Dave as a combination belated birthday / Christmas present.

Ah man I want to see this.  It looks so stupid [which I like] and had a budget of about $10,000 [which I also find hilarious]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7031 on: December 18, 2013, 06:57:38 AM »

^  I put that on my Amazon wishlist  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7032 on: December 18, 2013, 09:13:28 AM »

'This Film Is Not Yet Rated' (2006)

http://www.youtube.com/v/dDqxuGlxbWc

Intriguing documentary about the Motion Picture Association of America and their strange, secretive, occasionally clueless, sometimes contradictory methods of assigning 'ratings' to movies. It seems like everyone in Hollywood has butted heads with the MPAA over their rating system at least once since it was introduced in the late 1960s, mostly having to do with sexual content. (in other words: Rampant violence in films is OK with the MPAA, sex...hmmm, not so much.) Interviews include such directors as Kevin 'Clerks' Smith, John 'Cry Baby' Waters, Matt 'South Park' Stone, and Mary 'American Psycho' Harron. Interesting stuff that raises a lot of questions about censorship and whether or not the MPAA is prejudiced against edgier, independent film fare that takes more risks than the big budget major studio stuff.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7033 on: December 18, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »

I watched a truly awful indie horror film called THE RIPPING this week.
Family moves into new community, the mom sees a neighborhood boy beating a cat to death with a stick.
According to the nosy neighbor lady, the kid is evil because his soul was ripped and he was possessed by some sort of evil spirit.

Largely incomprehensible and very badly acted.

Avoid! Thumbdown

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7034 on: December 19, 2013, 12:35:59 AM »

Death Wish II (1982)

Small | Large

In Charles Bronson's second go-round as New York vigilante Paul Kersey, he's living in L.A. and returns to his old habits after a pack of street punks (one of whom is played by a young Laurence Fishburne!!) rape and murder his housekeeper and daughter.

So yeah, there's not much plot, but there is a whole lotta really sadistic, sleazy revenge action. Twisted '80s retro fun.

Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.